help with birthday trip

Search

help with birthday trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with birthday trip

Hi, I’m struggling to find the perfect destination for a solo birthday, I’m in my late 20s. Ideally I want an AI resort, where I can rest, be a few minutes from the beach, eat TASTY food and partake in the resort activities. But I’m also a culture junkie, I want to FEEL like i’m truly in a carribbean paradise when I leave my resort; beautiful scenery, excursions and a decent nightlife (live music) and relatively safe as i’ll be solo. I don’t want it to over over americanized or european. Is this possible? Please help, I need to book this trip ASAP.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 08:42 PM
J62

You can rule out USVI or Puerto Rico as its part of the US and thus fully americanized.

How about Cuba?

AI and great food are not always synonymous - i prefer to eat where a chef earns her or his keep based on their creativity not on a captive clientele.

Most places that ive been, when you leave the coiffed, gated confines of a resort you come face to face with the reality of a less privileged population, not the idyll youre probably seeking.

Last edited by J62; Mar 17th, 2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want to soak up local culture... why choose to stay at an All-Inclusive resort with a bunch of other tourists (which isolated you from what is around you)? And unless you go to a more expensive one, food is not likely to be all that amazing as you could find off resort property.

But to your original question I think you can find that along the Caribbean coast of Mexico. Maybe somewhere like Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres (you'd fly into Cancun).

I have really enjoyed Negril Jamaica but I'm not sure what your comfort level would be, going alone. It's a little rough around the edges definitely not "overly americanized".
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 10:05 AM

No, not Jamaica. I mostly second what J62 said but if I was to pick an island I'd suggest Curacao.

I don't think you will find what you want at Playa del Carmen either (and I've actually been there). Too many cruise ships and American boozing spring breakers, plus a bit of a cartel issue lately.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 18th, 2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 01:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What month is your birthday? Before we get into where to party -lol- it depends the time of year going into the Caribbean islands - for weather... cool, hot, rainy season, hurricane season, etc. I know you said you need to book ASAP so the trip is coming up soon??
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, I’ll be flying at the end of June, so not the best time weather wise but i’m taking the risk. I’ve actually decided on….GRENADA. However, curacao and a few others places mentioned here were close alternatives, so thank you all for the suggestions. Feel free to share any advice on Grenada, I won’t be doing an AI, B&B only!
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 06:18 AM

Actually the Caribbean has some the best weather of the year during June. Yes, June 1 marks the "official" start of Hurricane Season in the Caribbean but if you look at the historical weather records for every island in the Caribbean you'll see that tropical storms and hurricanes are very rare at that time of year. Generally you'll find in June there will be warm sunny days, perhaps with a very brief localized shower (mainly at night) lasting minutes rather than hours. I lived in the Caribbean for 18 years on a mountainous island that got its share of rainfall and there was never a time in June when when it never rained enough to spoil a morning or afternoon let alone someone's entire vacation. Another plus for June is the lack of crowds. Those vacationers escaping to the Caribbean to get away from harsh winters in the northern hemisphere are mostly long gone and because schools are usually still in secession families taking their kids on a summer vacation don't start arriving until the very end of the month. All in all, June is a great time to visit the Caribbean.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 07:53 AM

It seems you have decided, so perhaps useless information. I have not been, so also second hand, but from someone who lives in the Caribbean and has traveled and vacationed on every island, they love Dominica, say it is their favorite and they think most beautiful island in the Caribbean.