Siem Reap in September

Search

Siem Reap in September

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2024, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siem Reap in September

In September I am planning a solo trip - Bangkok, Chang Mai, Luang Prabang and then fly to Siem Reap. I would appreciate a suggested itinerary while I am in Siem Reap and how to put it into action. Naturally I need to see a selection of the temples, with a particular interest in the ones with the gnarly trees and jungle reclaiming them. But I would also like to go to Chong Kneas floating market, Prek Toal Bird Sanctuary and the Kampong Phluk village on stilts, journeying through wetlands. Siem Reap would be my base for the entire time; 4 days? Or do I need longer?
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 07:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Asia Forum
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 07:36 PM
kja

The temples near Siem Reap that are being reclaimed by jungle include Ta Prohm and Ta Som and, further afield, Beng Mealea. I would encourage you to make time for some of the other Khmer temples in the Siem Reap area, too. If you don't already have it, Dawn Rooney's book provides a lot of helpful information. Depending on which temples you decide to visit, you should be able to see quite a few in two or three days, and you could include Kampong Phluk in that time -- allow a half day for that.

As for organizing your tour: Ta Prohm is generally considered part of the "small circuit" which also includes Angkor Wat and other sites. I wouldn't have been able to see everything included in the small circuit in a single day, but apparently some people do. Ta Som is part of the "grand circuit." Both circuits are well known, and of course, you can negotiate with your driver for a different route / combination of temples if you prefer.

If you want an English speaking driver (not guide) for your time in the area, send me a personal message -- I'd be happy to recommend the driver with whom I worked.

I didn't go to the Prek Toal Bird Sanctuary, but have read that one really needs at least a day for that. You might consider working with the Sam Veasna Center for your birding experiences.

There are also worthy sites in Siem Reap itself -- the museum, APOPO Center, etc.

I'm sure you realize that September is in the rainy season for Siem Reap. it will almost certainly be very hot, very muggy, and very wet.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 10:49 PM

I actually love September in Siem Reap. It is hot & muggy most of the year in Cambodia, but the rain in September cools things down. The rice fields are still covered in water, and the young rice is a gorgeous green, the temples will be covered in green moss, and there will be no dust in the air, like there is November to July. There should bes progressively less rain in October -December, but like everywhere, the weather there is not as predictable as it used to be.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Kja, thank you for your advice. Yes, I know it is going to be too hot for me but really best time of the year for my travels so I can get away from a cold southern New Zealand winter. The heat will be an issue but I just have to put up with it. I will follow up on all your suggestions. And nearer the time, when I have set dates I would appreciate your recommendation for a driver. I would love to go on the back of a motor bike but a bit apprehensive as I know travel insurance would not cover if anything went wrong. Again, thank you
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi Icuy, I know it is going to be really hot but lovely to hear your positive aspects for that time of the year
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 09:01 PM
kja

I don't know the statistics, but FWIW, many people with whom I spoke lamented the high rate of accidents involving motor bikes in Cambodia, especially in the rainy season.

If you can manage more than 4 days in Siem Reap, some of the distant temples -- like Preah Vihear and Koh Ker -- are quite special.