Travelling from Llandudno to Wirral in an Aygo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2024, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm wondering I anyone can help. I'm travelling nto Llandudno from Wirral in an aygo with my husband and baby. Needless to say the 1ltr engine will not like the hill on the North Wales express way on the way back. Any ideas on how to avoid this? Happy to do a detour and see some sites as long as we can avoid the steeper hills. Eg North Wales mountain zoo is a complete no go. Did that when pregnant and the car was hitting 8mph in some parts . Any help would be great thank you .
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I drive a sub 1 litre engine (895cc) and happily hit 80 mph. I also drove the Expressway just before Covid in it. Is the Aygo weird, can you turn the Eco switch off?

Last edited by bilboburgler; Feb 26th, 2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 09:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. I had to look up what an aygo is. (For Yanks it is a Toyota Aygo - its a subcompact but larger than a SmartCar)

As bilboburgler mentioned, unless there is something weird about the Toyota, I don't think you should have any problems - for a while when I lived in the UK (decades ago) I had a Mini with an 848cc engine and maybe 60 hp and traveled all over north Wales and the Peak District Sure, that was a much lighter car but engines now are a lot more efficient.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a manual or with CVT?

We drive a Ford Focus with a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine and have no problems with hills or mountains, but for some reason the Aygo engine is slow and struggles with hills, especially the manual. All I can say is try and get a run up and pay the gearbox if it is a manual.
There is a crawler lane eastwards so you could use that, maybe tucking in behind a lorry if you can to reduce drag. Or you could hug the coast on the A548 - Rhyl, Prestatyn to Flint and Connah's Quay then you are at the Wirral.

Edit that last route may be very sow too with the 20mph rule in Wales. Forgot about that when I suggested the route.

Last edited by hetismij2; Feb 26th, 2024 at 11:14 AM.