Normandy day trips

Search

Normandy day trips

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normandy day trips

Working on a september trip using Bayeux as base for 3 days to go to D-Day beaches and Mt St. M. Any suggestions for small group (4-6) tours of either or both.
Thanks
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 01:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mont Saint-Michel from Bayeux is pretty much an all-day excursion... at least 90 minutes' drive each way. That leaves only 2 days to see all of the D-Day sights which isn't much time if D-Day is a priority.

If you want a one-day D-Day tour, look at Overlord tours. Overlord dot com. On the second day, if you want more D-Day, visit the Peace Memorial (Museum) in Caen and possibly Falaise. I wouldn't miss viewing the Bayeux Tapestry.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 02:06 PM

agree with Jean that MSM would be a very log day trip from Bayeaux, and you would miss the magic of seeing it at night. we stayed in Bayeux for a couple of nights to see the Tapestry, and use the town as a base for a drive to Omaha Beach, the American cemetery, Arromanches, and Longues-sur-Mer. the day prior to that, we stopped in Caen to visit the Peace Museum. after leaving Bayeux, we drove to Mont St. Michel, stayed overnight nearby, and then continued to Cancale for one night. it was a lot of driving and hectic, but all of these sites were high on our wishlist (Cancale for the oysters and a meal at Olivier Roellinger's), however, we wished we had planned a longer vacation spent another day or two in Normandy.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 07:39 PM

The best is to ask your hotel or go to a Bayeux travel agency
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 06:21 AM

Agree with a lot of the advice above. Mont St Michele is a haul. There is so much to see at D-Day, and fitting in a few hours at the Caen Peace Museum either on the way or on the way back is also a must.
Have to say that while I was intrigued by the Bayeux Tapestry museum, my husband and kids, to my surprise, were quick dropouts. Fine--I stayed there without them.

Sidenote:
adlmlr, I loved your itinerary. We got to spend two nights at the Château Richeux, which has a view across the bay to Mont St Michel from certain rooms with easy access to Cancale's oyster beds and town.
We didn't get to see Mont St Michel at night, but we left Château Richeux at the crack of dawn to get there early enough before the crowds engulfed us. Pretty cool. And then we worked our way up to the D-Day beaches.
Saw the Caen Museum on our way back to Paris--amazing.
AZ
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 12:11 PM

Agree that I wouldn't want to do a day trip from Bayeux to Mont St Michel. We spent a night there although it was very rainy so that took away from the enjoyment. It is mostly about seeing Mont St Michel from the distance as you approach it or up close before you cross the bridge to the Mont. It was very rainy and you really needed to be careful walking up the wet stones to enter the Mont. As the Mont is a working monastery, it wasn't as interesting inside as you might expect.

Loved Bayeux and wouldn't cut my time there short as there is much to see and do with the D-Day beaches and memorials, the Bayeux Tapistry, the cathedrals and the charming architecture of the town itself. We spent several hours in Caen at the museum as we did this on the way to Bayeux from Honfleur which is charming in itself as a place to visit.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 12:55 PM

MSM is an easy 90 minute drive from Bayeux. Our group of 9 left Bayeux at 7:15 and were there at 8:45 and were on the first shuttle to the Mont when it opens at 9:30 We spent about 4 hours, including walking the entire abbey visit as well as the rampart areas all around. We left and went for a lunch at a little place on the corner after getting the van from the car park, then travelled to the Brittany American Cemetery about 30 minutes away. It's an short 1 hour walk through a beautiful but often forgotten Cemetery for the D-Day sites. From there you can be back in Bayeux before 6 pm.
We used Overlord tours for a Private tour to follow the footsteps of the father of many in the group. We sent him the military daily records we had of his and he crafted a tour. Since he was a 2nd Btn Ranger, it centered around Pointe du Hoc. Our second day involved the Utah Beach side of the front. We were there for 6 days, so we also were able to see most sites from the Pegasus bridge to Cherbourg.