Once Again on the Canadian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2024, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done it several times and in almost every season and in both directions. I am faced with waiting for a refrigerator replacement (mine died completely) which will take weeks. I looked at alternatives and destinations but somehow this particular "adventure" keeps calling me back. I've done the thing in a traditional roomette (never in an upper or lower berth) as well as in pricey "Prestige" accommodations but this time around it will be in a double bedroom as a solo occupant.
I leave for Toronto next week (hopefully it will not be snowing) and after an overnight will lose myself in the undoubtedly snow-covered scenery enjoying the great food aboard. Perhaps there will be a possible Northern Lights appearance as I have enjoyed in the past but no matter. Am anxious to be moving (how many delays and how late will we arrive in Vancouver? Who can tell. I am just happy the whole experience continues to exist in the latter life period.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds great Dukey. I have done it twice- once in the summer and once in winter. The winter trip was scary as there had been avalanches and passengers had to be evacuated. Our trip was fine though- and we had no major delays.
I was with 3 other girlfriends on our first move from home. We took the train from Moose Jaw Sask and then flew from Vancouver to Honolulu to work at Queens Hospital. It was quite the adventure.

Write a trip report when you are home
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have fun! Hope there will be a TR. I have done it once, west to east, in 2012. I was in a roomette, which I thought was fine. I stopped off in Jasper for a few days, but it was spring, not winter.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

As an update: I changed my flight to Toronto leaving yesterday the 12th of February instead of today the 13th. Originally i
I was on. Delta flight with a change at JFK which I cancelled in favor of an American flight non-stop to Toronto. I did not want to chance a cancellation because of the current storm.

Toronto is chilly as expected and getting through Customs at Pearson involved long lines with a LOT of passengers in those Disney/amusement park-like serpentine barriers in which you weave back and forth back and forth. Slow but eventually you “get there” and then the express train to Union Station after changing terminals.

I am in my usual hotel, the Royal York so I will have easy across-the-street train station access tomorrow morning. This afternoon will have lunch with a long-time friend, an art historian formerly an official at the Ontario art museum. I rarely see her these days and am looking forward to catching up.

No snow here but expect to see plenty on the way west tomorrow.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 02:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm really looking forward to your reports. Hope you have a great time.

I'm thinking of a scenic train trip and just this morning I was looking at the Rocky Mountaineer's trips in he SW (but their website is so annoying I'm leaning against). Both the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight go right though town but I was thinking of something farther from home.

My cousin, her DH and mother did the Canadian together and LOVED it
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 07:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj

I'm thinking of a scenic train trip and just this morning I was looking at the Rocky Mountaineer's trips in he SW (but their website is so annoying I'm leaning against). Both the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight go right though town but I was thinking of something farther from home.
None of my business of course, but have you ever thought about the Alaska RR winter service between Anchorage and Fairbanks? No overnights, just 12 hours northbound on Saturdays and southbound on Sundays. It's a "flag stop" service, where people who live along the rail corridor (homesteaders, off-the-grid types, etc.) walk (or mush or use their snow machines) to the tracks and "flag down" the train, or locals arrange to get off.

You could combine it with a couple of days in Anchorage for the annual Fur Rendezvous ("Rondy") winter festival, featuring all sorts of fun activities - a fun fair, auctions, art exhibits, ice sculpture, the Running of the Reindeer through the downtown streets a la Pamplona, the world championship dogsled races through town, and the ceremonial start of the Iditarod. It starts in 9 days and runs through March 3. (The last two weekends are the best time.) Homepage – Anchorage Fur Rendezvous (furrondy.net)

Old Feb 14th, 2024, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Hardy, thanks for the great rec and no I have not thought about the Alaska adventure but have seen the YouTube vids and am interested.

as I type we are just passing Sudbury Junction in Ontario. More snow up here than in Toronto. Train almost completely full and food as good as ever. The usual friendly dining companions and we have had clear skies all day and so far not many siding delays.

I am drinking entirely too much hot chocolate but why not? Every time I pass through the Canadian Shield and see all the bedrock I think of how difficult it must have been to build this railroad.

Few wildlife specimens thus far, mostly ducks and few of those. I think since I took this trip last there must be more cell towers since service even out in the so-called boonies seems better than I remember it being in the past. But the great scenery has not changed.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

We are stopped for whatever reason in Armstrong, Ontario, where there is cell service and an outside temperature of 7 degrees F. Plenty of snow everywhere. Had breakfast with a gentleman from St Barts in the Caribbean who will fly from Vancouver to San Diego where he will rent a car and drive through The US to New Orleans. He is a anxious to see the Grand Canyon as well as the Big Bend area in Texas.

People I have spoken with say they are watching to see what happens on the US political scene.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

We have embarked across the increasingly flat expanse of Saskatchewan as I type. Those sentinels of the prairies known as grain elevators which have been slowly vanishing remain but seem further and further apart. Such a wonderfully vast landscape and many long freight trains rushing east.

plenty of snow here as the towns we pass through slowly wake up for another day
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 09:55 AM

I am from Saskatchewan. Agree it is very flat. Time to take a long snooze or read a book.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunbum1944
I am from Saskatchewan. Agree it is very flat. Time to take a long snooze or read a book.
I am now in Saskatoon where it is chilly and snow-covered. I had no ideas there are berries with the same name. Lots of people getting off the train to breathe in the frosty air under the almost cloudless blue skies.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 12:54 PM

Dukey,

What fun! Here’s hoping the train arrives in Jasper tomorrow morning with no huge delays to maximize Rockies viewing for you. Last time I took the train was almost 10 years ago and only as far west as the ‘Peg from T.O. —the schedule was so different before, with Saskatoon a middle of the night stop.

All the best—Daniel
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

We have been delayed numerous times on sidings and at this hour we have yet to reach Edmonton. My understanding is that much of this eastbound traffic originates in both Vancouver and Prince Rupert were two busy container ports are located. Containers along with oil, cars, grain, and other commodities travel eastward as far as Winnipeg where some traffic is diverted south while the remainder contlinues eastward.

our train is already several hours late and ViaRail makes this possibility very well known to passengers in advance. Over the past 35 years since I first took the actual and original Canadian Pacific “Canadian” along the more southerly route and Canadian National ran their “Supertranscontinental” through Edmonton the schedule has changed many times.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 08:58 PM

Dukey- if only you could have a slice of Saskatoon pie. What a treat it is! But if you can't, try out a Nanaimo Bar or butter tart for a Canadian treat.

Hope train picks up time as you roll along.

Old Feb 17th, 2024, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunbum1944
Dukey- if only you could have a slice of Saskatoon pie. What a treat it is! But if you can't, try out a Nanaimo Bar or butter tart for a Canadian treat.

Hope train picks up time as you roll along.
As I type we have left Edson, Alberta, in the dark as we approach the Rockies am waiting for the sunrise hopefully a sunny day. Back home 3” of snow has fallen
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 01:59 PM

Out of curiosity I looked at the weather in Jasper which seemed to be a frigid -18C this morning but steadily rising to a more tolerable -1C toward the afternoon. When it’s -18C as a Montrealer, I’m not outside too long even with thermal underwear so curious if a stroll in Jasper Village ended up being in the cards. I’ve only seen that region in summer but I’m imagining the area around Jasper provided a unique wintry beauty for today’s journey!
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daniel_Williams
Out of curiosity I looked at the weather in Jasper which seemed to be a frigid -18C this morning but steadily rising to a more tolerable -1C toward the afternoon. When it’s -18C as a Montrealer, I’m not outside too long even with thermal underwear so curious if a stroll in Jasper Village ended up being in the cards. I’ve only seen that region in summer but I’m imagining the area around Jasper provided a unique wintry beauty for today’s journey!
yes it was COLD and I did not walk very far since I have visited before and when it was a LOT warmer.
the trip through the Rockies is always the high point and this one did not disappoint

we are currently arriving in Vancouver and on time which is always nice. Now if that hotel room might actually be ready….