Scottish Highlands ideas

Search

Scottish Highlands ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2024, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Scottish Highlands ideas

Just starting the research for a possible 7-8 week tour of Scotland, Ireland and England. This first question is about a little village called Ullapool in Scotland where my great grandparents emigrated from to New Zealand in the 1890's.I would like to visit there but also incorporate other parts of the Highlands. Would spend between 5-7 days. All suggestions appreciated.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 12:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ullapool is a lovely place to visit -- the region includes the amazing Inverewe Gardens and Corrieshalloch Gorge Nature Reserve. Loch Broom etc etc.

Not sure exactly what your are planning -- 5-7 days just for the Ullapool area . . . or . . . for all of the Highlands??

Old Feb 1st, 2024, 12:47 PM

meant to add " . . . little village called Ullapool" . . . Ullapool is a veritable metropolis in that part of the country. More than 1500 population
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

That's funny Janij. I was thinking 5-7 days for the parts of the Highlands around Ullapool, with a couple of days each in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by nelsonian
. . . I was thinking 5-7 days for the parts of the Highlands around Ullapool, with a couple of days each in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Do I understand correctly that you want 5-7 days for the far NW + maybe a bit more of the Highlands, and a couple of days in Glasgow and Edinburgh and that's it for Scotland?? Or did you omit a few weeks in between? In other words . . . How much time are you actually setting aside for Scotland?

Edinburgh to Ullapool is a full day's drive each way with no stops in between. Glasgow + Edinburgh and a bit of a sightseeing road trip up through some the north central Highlands > Ullapool/Poolewe, and back would easily take 10 days. (2 days is awfully short for Edinburgh)

This is a great resource . . . https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 03:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, the north west coast of Scotland offers some of the most dramatic scenery anywhere in the world, and merits more time if possible. Sharing a link to my recent trip report - page 2 Day 7 onwards covers the stretch from Durness to Torridon, incl 2 days we spent in Ullapool - maybe it can help you with some ideas
2023 : A Highland Odyssey
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link ANUJ loved the photos of Ullapool.

We were planning to be away for about 8 weeks all up, flying from New Zealand, so a very long flight. We will also visit Amsterdam for a few days on the way there or the way back, and will have a few days in New York to see family. So in reality probably more like 6 weeks for the UK/Ireland part.

This will be the only trip we will do to the UK and Ireland. Would like to visit Scotland specifically Ullapool, Ireland, specifically the County of Wicklow, but other places too, and sights around London and Northampton. My husband's ancestors came from Preston Cape Northampshire . As you have probably gathered this is a trip to see the places where our great grandparents lived before emigrating to NZ. I know we cannot do it all so have to prioritise. It seems as though all the advice for Scotland is you need a longer time to seethe Highlands. Would love to have more time but don't want to be away from home for more than 8 weeks. I do understand where you are coming from though as we give the same advice to travellers who come visiting here and want to see everything in a short time.

I need to work out how much time to spend in each area. Was thinking of taking the train from London to Edinburgh. I have only just started thinking about this trip a special trip for DH's 70th in 2025. All ideas and advice appreciated.

Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 01:59 PM

OK -- sounds like you want to visit a lot of places in three countries in 6-ish weeks.

For the England/Scotland parts:

• Preston Capes is a teensy village about midway between Northampton and Banbury -- you'll definitely need a car to visit there.

• You'll also want a car to explore the areas around Ullapool

• No need for cars in Edinburgh/Glasgow/London/Dublin. Where exactly in County Wicklow will determine whether you'd need a car or not. If a small village - most likely you would need one.

Soooooo - I'd probably visit London first staying maybe 5 or 6 nights. Then rent a car at LHR and explore some of the northern Cotswolds and on to Northamptonshire/Preston Capes.You could do this bit in 4 or 5-ish days depending on how much sightseeing you want to do. You could fit in visits to Hidcote Manor Garden, Stratford-upon-Avon and/or Warwick. Then drop the car at Northampton and take trains up to Edinburgh.

Stay maybe 3 nights in Edinburgh, then pick up a car and drive up through the Highlands and over to Ullapool. Allow at least 2 days for the EDI > Ullapool drive. Stay 2 or 3 nights in Ullaool exploring the surrounding area.

Then drive down through the Great Glenn (through different parts of the Highlands) to GLA. Allow at least two days for this drive. Drop the car at GLA and take public transport into the city. Stay 2 nights, then fly from GLA to DUB and carry on with the Ireland bits.

This would total a bit over 3 full weeks to just hit the main things on you wishlist: London, Northamptonshire, Edinburgh, bits of the Highlands, Ullapool, and Glasgow. Each of these areas could be padded with more days and/or you could add another region or two depending on how much time you want to devote to Ireland.
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou so much Janisj, it certainly gives us some great information to start planning our trip. We may add Wales in to that too, and I would love to go to Cornwall.
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 02:27 PM

OK Cornwall adds a WHOLE 'nuther twist. You will want about a full week for Cornwall (takes most of a full day to get there by train and most of a full day to get back north. So touring for just five days means a week total (driving in Cornwall is even slower than in Scotland)

Then Wales . . . you are talking another week if you just want 4 or 5 days in north Wales plus transit time. If you wanted some of both north and south Wales -- you'r up to 8-10 days. Neither is close to Northamptonshire.

Sooooo IF you really want to include Cornwall and Wales -- all your time is used up and nothing left over for anything in Ireland. A realistic trip involving Cornwall - London - Wales - Northamptonshire - Edinburgh - the Highlands - the far NW/Ullapool - and Glasgow would be a rushed 7 weeks. So with Ireland, NY and Amsterdam you are really talking about a 9-10 week trip. Something has to give.
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reality check. Will have to ponder what to cut out.