Search

Lake Como and Six Days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2024, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Como and Six Days in Italy

Hello All,

My husband, teen-aged son and I decided to take a trip to Italy over spring break. I have been there twice (many years ago), and have spent time in Venice, Florence and Rome. No one is interested in Rome (I know, I know), and we have only six days. My son is interested only in Milan because he loves fashion and shopping, and my husband really wants to spend time in Florence. I loved all of Italy that I had seen previously, but I really want to see Lake Como, because I love beautiful water views, and I couldn't get there the other times I have travelled to Italy. We've already bought tickets coming in and out of Malpiensa in Milan. Would it be crazy to arrive at the airport, take an hour and a half taxi (expensive, but definitely the fastest way to get there and easiest with luggage) to Varenna, and then either just relax in Varenna for our Lake Como experience or take the ferry to see Bellagio and/or Lenno (to see Villa del Balbianello)? We'd leave the next morning for Milan, and plan shopping/fashion tour, Duomo, Last Supper; then the following day would be a day trip to Venice, and then leave on Saturday to spend the rest of Saturday, Sunday, Monday in Florence before returning to fly out of Milan on Tuesday? Grazie mille for any suggestions!
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At a minimum, I'd drop the Venice idea. Too much travel time.

I'd want one full day in Varenna (2 nights) to make the expense and effort worth it, but it's your trip not mine.

I'd put the Milan time at the end so that you'd be cose to Malpensa for the return flight.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 08:43 AM

Not trying to be rude, but the whole thing sounds a little crazy! It's your trip, but with all that running around, you won't have time to take anything in.

A day trip to Venice from Milan is a very bad idea. You will have very little time in Venice, plus it would be during the most crowded time of day. You're likely to come away with a bad impression of Venice.

You need to buy tickets for the Last Supper ahead of time. They go on sale a certain number of days before the date you want and generally sell out the first day. I don't recall how many days ahead it is, check the website.

You need to be back in Milan from Florence the day before the flight. It would be better to go on to Florence when you arrive in Milan to have all the Milan nights together at the end, which saves a hotel change. Save the Lakes for another trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 08:44 AM

Jean and I were typing at the same time.😁
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SusanP
Jean and I were typing at the same time.😁
Thank you both, for your helpful answers! The idea of the day trip to Venice was just to give them the most basic feel of the city, travel by gondola, whether or not they get to see the artistic treasures. I'm still mulling that one through. You both said to end in Milan, rather than Florence. But either way, the first or last day is kind of lost. Either, we arrive in airport at 12:15, go through customs, take the 50 minute train to Milan and then the fast train to Florence arriving at 4:30 in the best case scenario (more likely 5;30), or, we are leaving Florence at 9:25, get into Milan at 11:25, get to airport by 1:10 in order to be three hours before our 4:10 departure. Why is one better than the other?
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 11:26 AM

Definitely go directly to Florence and end in Milan! You really need to be in Milan the night before your flight. What if there is a strike or some other delay that morning? Don't take a chance on not being able to make your flight.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tosca617
Thank you both, for your helpful answers! The idea of the day trip to Venice was just to give them the most basic feel of the city, travel by gondola, whether or not they get to see the artistic treasures. I'm still mulling that one through. You both said to end in Milan, rather than Florence. But either way, the first or last day is kind of lost. Either, we arrive in airport at 12:15, go through customs, take the 50 minute train to Milan and then the fast train to Florence arriving at 4:30 in the best case scenario (more likely 5;30), or, we are leaving Florence at 9:25, get into Milan at 11:25, get to airport by 1:10 in order to be three hours before our 4:10 departure. Why is one better than the other?
I don't understand. You'd skip Lake Como?

The only way not to "lose" time on the first or last day is to fly into one city (say, Milan) and out of another (say, Florence or Pisa). But you've already purchased your airline tickets, so yes you're going to lose some time. I would prefer to spend the last night in Milan rather than start the departure day in Florence and take the risk of delays in reaching Malpensa.

FYI, you really don't want your two days in Florence to fall on Sunday/Monday when many of the main sights may be closed. Check open days/hours against your sightseeing list and your dates to see what would be possible. Make timed reservations for anything that offers them.

As you contemplate a day trip to Venice, check the length of the train journeys and the time of the last return.

If this "spring break" trip is anywhere near Easter, crowds will be crazy. Also, April 25th Is a national holiday.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 04:56 PM

Your trip is really rushed, kind of like a student bus tour, but without the help and support of guide and driver, three, possibly four, places in six days with a good deal of travel. Remember, time getting to hotels, checking in and out, etc.

IMHO, a day trip to Venice is never, ever a good idea, but especially bad from Milan.

When you are doing RT, it is nearly always best to put sightseeing days all together with departure days in the place of departure. There is much less chance of a problem that can’t be resolved, your last evening and departure day is more relaxed, you have not combined a long day of travel with a long, tiring flight. That last is a real killer.

If you feel you must include Venice, this would be my plan. Though it is very tight, not enough time anyplace to relax and absorb much, it is doable.
Venice, 1 night
Florence, 2 nights
Como, 2 nights
Milan, 1 night

Day 1. Arrive Milan. Head straight to Venice. If possible, get a hotel near train station just for convenience of luggage (Santa Lucia) in Venice, Not Mestre. Walk, relax, dinner, late night vaporetto ride down Grand Canal. Save gondola ride for day two when you are a bit rested.
Sleep in Venice.

Day 2. Morning guided tour of Venice, then perhaps a gondola ride. Mid-afternoon train to Florence. In Florence, stay central, near Duomo and walking distance from train station, (there are other great areas, but you have no time to meander), evening walk for views of outside of Duomo, Ponte Vecchio and view from Arno, etc. dinner.
Sleep in Florence.

Day 3. Full day in Florence. Intense guided tour of Florence, visit to Academia, one other museum if you want and visit to Santa Croce. Evening walk through gardens.
Sleep in Florence.

Day 4. See anything of deep interest that you missed in Florence. Travel in afternoon to Como (or other town in area). Relax.
Sleep in Como.

Day 5. Full day in Como.
Sleep in Como

Day 6. Travel to Milan, (choose location of hotel carefully) shop, sightsee, etc. Skip Last Supper.
Sleep in Milan.

Day 7. Morning, couple more hours in Milan for more shopping, or lunch, etc. At noon, head to airport for departure.

If you are booking for this Spring break, it is very late to have good choices of hotels, find guides, book tickets, etc. You need to get going ASAP on hotels.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jan 7th, 2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Your trip is really rushed, kind of like a student bus tour, but without the help and support of guide and driver, three, possibly four, places in six days with a good deal of travel. Remember, time getting to hotels, checking in and out, etc.

IMHO, a day trip to Venice is never, ever a good idea, but especially bad from Milan.

When you are doing RT, it is nearly always best to put sightseeing days all together with departure days in the place of departure. There is much less chance of a problem that can’t be resolved, your last evening and departure day is more relaxed, you have not combined a long day of travel with a long, tiring flight. That last is a real killer.

If you feel you must include Venice, this would be my plan. Though it is very tight, not enough time anyplace to relax and absorb much, it is doable.
Venice, 1 night
Florence, 2 nights
Como, 2 nights
Milan, 1 night

Day 1. Arrive Milan. Head straight to Venice. If possible, get a hotel near train station just for convenience of luggage (Santa Lucia) in Venice, Not Mestre. Walk, relax, dinner, late night vaporetto ride down Grand Canal. Save gondola ride for day two when you are a bit rested.
Sleep in Venice.

Day 2. Morning guided tour of Venice, then perhaps a gondola ride. Mid-afternoon train to Florence. In Florence, stay central, near Duomo and walking distance from train station, (there are other great areas, but you have no time to meander), evening walk for views of outside of Duomo, Ponte Vecchio and view from Arno, etc. dinner.
Sleep in Florence.

Day 3. Full day in Florence. Intense guided tour of Florence, visit to Academia, one other museum if you want and visit to Santa Croce. Evening walk through gardens.
Sleep in Florence.

Day 4. See anything of deep interest that you missed in Florence. Travel in afternoon to Como (or other town in area). Relax.
Sleep in Como.

Day 5. Full day in Como.
Sleep in Como

Day 6. Travel to Milan, (choose location of hotel carefully) shop, sightsee, etc. Skip Last Supper.
Sleep in Milan.

Day 7. Morning, couple more hours in Milan for more shopping, or lunch, etc. At noon, head to airport for departure.

If you are booking for this Spring break, it is very late to have good choices of hotels, find guides, book tickets, etc. You need to get going ASAP on hotels.
Sasafrass and Jean, thank you so much for your detailed responses and itineraries!
We had decided to take out Venice. So based on what you both have said, I am coming up with: Day 1 Wednesday: arrive 12:15 in Milan MXP, figure customs takes an hour, then train to Milano Centrale and then to Florence -- hope to get there around 5:00.

Day 2 Thursday, in Florence

Day 3 Friday in Florence

Day 4 Saturday – in Florence, travel to Varenna (Lake Como) in the evening, arrive for dinner – there is a 4:35 that takes 3.5 on Rail Europe with one change, get into Varenna at 8:00

Day 5 Sunday – spend the day around Lake Como, arrive in Milan for dinner.

Day 6 Monday is Milan -- fashion touring and Gallerias, maybe the Duomo -- I know some museums are closed

Day 7 Tuesday morning Milan. We will take a taxi to the airport around 12:30 , so I am assuming we could pick a hotel/ air bnb in the center for the two nights.)
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 07:56 PM

While Sassafrass is probably right, her itinerary is "doable," just my opinion, you would be so exhausted running around that you will remember little from the trip. Also, going to Florence first avoids being there on Monday, when a lot of things are closed.

And yes, you need to decide and book hotels now. It's already late for that.

Last edited by SusanP; Jan 7th, 2024 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 01:01 AM

What about:

Day 1:take any taxi from Malpensa to Stresa (30 min ride). Enjoy Stresa, the palace and the botanical gardens of Isola Bella Island or any other place around the Lake (Villa Taranto, Pallanza, Isola dei Pescatori, Isola Madre.......) IMO Stresa is nicer than Varenna
Day 2: Leave Stresa at 8.41 by direct Venice bound train, Venice ar 12.42. Sleep close to railway station (Calle Priuli or so)
Day 3: Venice dp 18.26 - Florence ar 20.39
Day 5: Florence dp 18.55 - Milan Centrale ar 20.50. Sleep cloe to Centrale railway station (Hotel Michelangelo or so)
Day 7: Leave Milano Centrale by train (every 30 min) to Malpensa Terminal 1 (50 min journey).
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 07:24 AM

Your most recent itinerary, leaving Venice out, is better.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 08:54 AM

Just me, but I wouldn't taxi to Malpensa on Day 7 departure day. I'd take the train from either the Centrale or Cardona stations, whichever station is closer to the hotel. From Centrale, 2 direct trains an hour, takes about 1 hour. From Cadorna, 2 direct trains an hour, takes 45 minutes. I prefer Cadorna... smaller station in an area I'd rather stay in for a single night... but your train from Varenna will arrive at Centrale. If you're taking a taxi from your hotel to either train station, it might make sense to ride it all the way to Malpensa (depends on distance from hotel), but I still prefer the train. FYI, I think the fixed fare to Malpensa is 90 euros.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 11:24 AM

Jean makes a good point about the train to the airport. I'm not usually a fan of taking the train to the airport, but Milan was the exception. I wasn't willing to pay the $90 to get to my hotel from the airport, so I took the train. Very easy. Just walk on, there are no steps to board. On the other hand, if it's still $90 with three people, your savings will be less than mine was with just myself (although it will still be cheaper).
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 12:17 PM

Milan Centrale to Venezia SL is 2hr 27min by train. So five hours total for the round trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 12:20 PM

Your son can do his shopping in Florence which has most of the same designer shops as Milan.