Mombasa to Zansbar an d back by plane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2023, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello dear members, I'm well experienced in traveling and also with Kenya. I want to visit Mombasa and also Zanzibar in March.
I saw that there are flights from Mombasa direct to Zanzibar and back. Have any of you had any experience with this and it's possible to travel back and forth between the two countries with a Tanzania visa?
Greetings and thanks for answers in advance
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 08:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Since Zanzibar is IN Tanzania it would seem that you could visit Zanzibar with a visa for Tanzania. Zanzibar, though referred to as “semi-autonomous” is not a separate country.

Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 11:12 PM

Whilst Zanzibar is a semi autonomous state with its own government, it is still within Tanzania and we didn’t need any additional visas. Not sure about scheduled flights but a few years back we flew from Dar es Salaam to Mafia Island via Zanzibar on a private charter.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by crellston
Whilst Zanzibar is a semi autonomous state with its own government, it is still within Tanzania and we didn’t need any additional visas. Not sure about scheduled flights but a few years back we flew from Dar es Salaam to Mafia Island via Zanzibar on a private charter.

Crellston: You've even been to Malta!?!?!?! You are my hero! Did you love it?
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 04:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I’ve been to Malta & yes, loved it. Have you been there, ekscrunchy?

Old Jan 10th, 2024, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
Crellston: You've even been to Malta!?!?!?! You are my hero! Did you love it?
I have been to "Mafia Island" not Malta and yes I loved it. Amazing beaches, wonderful people and pretty unspoiled back then. The flight in a light aircraft over the reefs and island from the mainland still rates as one of my favourite flying experiences. I have also been to Malta years ago but that hasn't really stuck in my mind so didn't leave a lasting impression. I am sure it is lovely though.

Last edited by crellston; Jan 10th, 2024 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 06:57 AM

1. Goodness. ZANSBAR and MALTA!! I KNOW I spelled it right when I typed the name!! Anyway I’ve not been to any East African beaches. Always wanted to go to Zansbar and Lamu. But have those been spoiled?? And Pemba???

Been to Malfa on Salina, though!!!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 08:08 AM

😀No idea re Zanzibar, Lamu and Pemba but Mafia Island beaches were pretty special and I imagine they will stay that way as it was quite difficult to get there. A few photos from our time there:

I need a holiday!
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 10:05 AM

I need one, too! Your photos are dreamy!!! BUT: Can you/did you swim in the water? I only ask to learn if there are jellyfish or anything to be scared of. Is the water deep enough to swim or does one have to wade out very, very far for that?

You are an inspiration to me, Crellston!

I've been to one "safari" trip in Kenya, years ago. But more recently, I've taken a few safari trips but they've all been to either SA, Botswana, or Zimbabwe (or combo of 2 of those). I did think of adding a beach trip but Malfa, etc are far from there. The more logical option is Mozambique, which I think, or I've read, has great beaches but there is no "culture" like one would have on ZanSIbar or Lamu, etc. They are ONLY beaches.
And, when I read reviews of places to stay on Bazuto, etc, , there seem to be many reviews that do not sing the praises for one reason or another (enough of those to make me re-think). And there is the other issue, the one that goes something like this: "I'm flying all the way from USA to Africa, should I spend the time sitting on a beach?" But I'm getting away from that now....and your photos are pushing me further away!!

I should put one of your pics as a screen saver!

Going to google now!! Just realized (need new glasses) that it is MAFIA ISLAND, NOT Malfa!@!

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jan 11th, 2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 07:29 AM

We did swim in the water. As I recall, from some beaches we did have to wade out a few metres to reach swing depth , on others not so far. We didn’t see any jellyfish. We did go there with the intention of diving but we went out on one scuba trip and the water was freezing ( at least too cold for a wimp like me!) so we didn’t bother.

It is a long way to go for the beach but we went on Safari in Sealous NP which was an incredible experience. Only done a few safaris but that was hands down the best. Not sure whether I ever got around to posting a TR here.

The interior of Mafia was v interesting as we wandered around a few of the local communities. More photos:

Old Jan 12th, 2024, 01:59 PM

Great, there are local communities around....but freezing cold water in the Indian Ocean? I'mm glad you told me that as I would not have guessed. I am an extreme sissy about water temps.....do they ever get warm, do you think? Sounds like a place with a pool would be ideal..Truthfully, I'll probably never get there, unless I plan an East African safari. I'm used to Southern Africa by now, maybe I should consider Tanzania, in the private reserves. I've seen so many videos of crowds of vehicles surrounding a single lion, but maybe those were not taken in the private reserves. I know very little about there game areas there....
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 11:14 PM

I think we visited at a time when the water temps had yet to warm up - I think it does get warmer!

PS we spent 3 months in South Africa and I would say the beaches there were as good or even better.