Guatemala City, Flores, Tikal, Yaxha advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2023, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying to Guatemala in late Oct for a two-week trip. I would appreciate input about the following itinerary from Thurs-Sun, Oct 19-22 (after that we will return to the City and on to Antigua):
We arrive in Guatemala City at 8:30 pm on Wed night so am planning to stay overnight. Is it worthwhile to visit the Museo Ixchel the next morning?
Stay in Zone 10 or closer to airport? Stay a second night or fly later that day to Flores?
Should we stay overnight in Flores or go directly to Tikal? We will stay at the Jungle Lodge.
Is it worth it to visit Yaxha as well? If so, do you recommend going there before or after Tikal?
Thanks for any guidance.
Old Sep 23rd, 2023, 12:27 PM

I visited Guatemala earlier this month (September), but it wasn’t a comprehensive trip, and I’m responding only because after over three weeks, no one else has — maybe what little I can offer would be better than nothing.

First, Zone 10, Guatemala City, is a great choice for lodging; and it’s close enough to the airport. I stayed in Zone 1, the historic center, but that’s my style. I found it safer and more interesting than many people seem to think, but the trip between the airport and Zone 1 can be a long one, and anyway I’m realistic enough to know that Zone 10 is the best general recommendation.

As for Yaxha, and the Ixchel Museum: I didn’t see either one of them myself (I didn’t make it to the Peten at all; and for personal reasons I won’t go into, I wasn’t able to get around Guatemala city as much as I would have liked) but in generaI, I would rarely, if ever, dismiss a museum, or an historic town or site, as “not worth it.” The only question is whether one has sufficient interest, or just a sufficient level of curiosity. I suspect that neither of those sites is quite up there with the world’s Famous Visual Spectacles (the Taj Mahal, Machu Picchu, the Louvre, the Prado); but I’m sure that those with an interest in ancient American civilizations or in contemporary Mayan folk culture — and of course, who also have the time and opportunity, which you may not — will want to visit those locations. (I'll add that though I’ve never had a high interest in textiles or weaving, my visit to the Ixkik Museum in Quetzaltenango -- similar in concept to the Ixchel, though probably humbler -- turned out to be very rewarding.)
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Hello Faedus, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my questions. We have decided to just stay overnight in Guatemala City near the airport and leave early the next morning for Flores. From there we will visit Yaxha and Tikal with a private tour guide. Afterwards will return to Antigua, then Chichicastenango, then Lake Atitlan. Looking forward to being able to share more information after our journey!
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 10:38 AM

It looks as if you have designed a great itinerary, one I might have followed if I had had the time. I'll look forward to whatever you may choose to post about the trip after you return. Also, as you still aren't getting a lot of responses to your original question, you may want to consider posting any future questions you may have on the TripAdvisor forum, where you are likely to get more replies.
Old Oct 1st, 2023, 04:31 AM

If you can fit in a visit to Museo Ixchel and neighboring Popul Vuh, the archaeological museum, do it - they're both lovely. You could consider a stay in Zone 10 if you have time for exploring, but I prefer to sleep 2 minutes from the airport at Villa Toscana. Stay a second night if there's more you want to see or fly later that day to Flores. I usually don't stay overnight in Flores unless the timing of arrival and departures means it makes more sense; it's a cute, touristy town but not a destination itself for me. Yaxhá is definitely worth a visit; before or after Tikal depends on interests and schedules. Marlon Diaz is a fabulous driver/guide. www.gemtrips.com
Happy trails!
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 03:47 AM

DeniseYP I'm assuming you are following the news in Guatemala and understand that it's likely not a good time to visit but am chiming in just in case. While there's a chance that the situation with pro-democracy road blocks throughout the country will change in the next few days, we've decided to postpone our Guatemala trip that was to have started on October 20th.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 06:02 AM

DENISEYP: PLEASE come back and tell us about your trip!! I've been to Guatemala a few times but not recently and I always have in my mind the possibility of another visit.

To anyone else who knows the country: Are towns like Chichecastenango still fairly charming, or are they overrun with tourists??
Is the weaving still done using natural dyes, with cotton or silk threads, or is it all that garish fluorescent thread?
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 11:30 PM

Chichicastenango is still charming on non market days and even then in the early morning hours before the buses arrive from Antigua, Guatemala City, and Lake Atitlán. I either spend the night before or get an early ride if I visit on market days, then leave by 10 or 10:30. Even when we first visited in the early 80s, there were chemical dyes and garish thread, but many artisans use cotton they pick in the fincas near the coasts and use natural dyes - the town of San Juan La Laguna on Lake Atitlán has lots of women's weaving cooperatives that can demonstrate. I hope you make it back some day!