Feedback on my itinerary please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2023, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've booked my flights to and from Melbourne and I'm still deciding if I should arrive in Hobart and depart in Launceston or the other way round. I will like to be in Hobart on the 5th day for the Salamanca market. We are a young family and will like to see the top attractions in Tasmania. Here's our tentative itinerary:
Day 1 : Land in Launceston around 3pm
Day 2: Leave Launceston early to Cradle Mountain
Day 3: Leave cradle mountain around 1pm to arrive Bicheno before dark
Day 4: Bicheno and Bays of Fire
Day 5: Freycinet National Park (stay at Bicheno)
Day 6: Hobart (Salamanca market)
Day 7 : Bruny Island
Day 8: Port Arthur
Day 9 : Fly back from Hobart

Alternatively, if i choose to fly to Hobart, I will probably not have time for Cradle mountain. My itinerary will be

Day 1 : Land in Hobart around 5pm
Day 2: Bruny Island
Day 3: Port Arthur
Day 4: Hobart
Day 5: Salamanca market in the morning and to Bicheno
Day 6: Bicheno
Day 7 : Bicheno
Day 8: Launceston
Day 9 : Fly back from Launceston

May I know which itinerary will you recommend? I'm open to recommendations too, thanks in advance!
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The second itinerary is the better option. Travelling from Launceston to Cradle Mountain and then to Bicheno on the same day is not a good idea. Too far, too tiring. A bad idea with kids, it's a long time in the car. What month are you going?
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kayf, thanks for your reply. I'm heading to Tasmania in August, we are 4 adults. We are thinking to head to cradle mountain straight from the airport. So it will be something lile this:

Day 1 : Land in Launceston and leave for Cradle mountain at 3pm
Day 2: Cradle Mountain
Day 3: Launceston
Day 5: Bicheno (freycinet national park)

Will this itinerary be better for first half of the trip? And do you recommend bruny island in august? Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ph3645
I've booked my flights to and from Melbourne and I'm still deciding if I should arrive in Hobart and depart in Launceston or the other way round. I will like to be in Hobart on the 5th day for the Salamanca market. We are a young family and will like to see the top attractions in Tasmania. Here's our tentative itinerary:
Day 1 : Land in Launceston around 3pm
Day 2: Leave Launceston early to Cradle Mountain
Day 3: Leave cradle mountain around 1pm to arrive Bicheno before dark
Day 5: Freycinet National Park (stay at Bicheno)
Day 6: Hobart (Salamanca market)
Day 7 : Bruny Island
Day 8: Port Arthur
Day 9 : Fly back from Hobart

Alternatively, if i choose to fly to Hobart, I will probably not have time for Cradle mountain. My itinerary will be

Day 1 : Land in Hobart around 5pm
Day 2: Bruny Island
Day 3: Port Arthur
Day 4: Hobart
Day 5: Salamanca market in the morning and to Bicheno
Day 6: Bicheno
Day 7 : Bicheno
Day 8: Launceston
Day 9 : Fly back from Launceston

May I know which itinerary will you recommend? I'm open to recommendations too, thanks in advance!
I'd go with the second itinerary as you're definitely getting in as many of the east coast's sights as possible! It'll be a busy trip, so I think it's better not to try and do Cradle Mountain and drive to Bicehno in one day. It's good to see that you're spending a couple of days in Hobart and surrounding areas. You'll need a little extra time to take in the sights here, as there's plenty to see, do... and eat! If you have to cut out Cradle Mountain by opting for the second itinerary, you can always climb Kunanyi (Mount Wellington) while you're in Hobart https://www.grandchancellorhotels.co...unt-wellington
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 03:56 PM

I think Cradle Mountain is one of the best parts of Tasmania. and I'd prioritise it above anything else on your list. I'd certainly sacrifice Bruny Island for it.

That being said, it's over a 2 hour drive from Launceston, so, in August, you risk arriving in the dark, with all that implies for wildlife, etc.
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 10:00 PM

Well said margo_oz. Visitors dont understand roadkill. Our wildlife are precious. Please dont drive in the dark and kill them.