Search

Help with itinerary in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with itinerary in Italy

Hello,
I am planning a 11 day trip to Italy this August - tickets are bought already. ( from the US ). Como was pretty important to us - hence the plan to go there. Haven't bought any inter-city tix yet but hotels are booked .
Day 1 - Reach Rome around 11:30 AM
Day 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 - in Rome
Day 5 - Have a 7:30 AM Vatican breakfast tour ( only day we could get ) - so attend that , checkout that day from Rome and head to Lake Como ( high speed train ).
Day 5 , 6 , 7, 8 - Como . Checkout on day 8
Day 8 , 9 , 10, - Venice
Flight back is on Day 11 at noon.

I am struggling with deciding whether we can manage a day trip to Florence from Rome on one of the days - given that we have 3 full days there . I know it is very short but I was hoping to see the Accademia and a few other sites. Not planning on the Uffisi.
Any input if that is too much? Also if you think the planning for this is way off - please let me know .
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 04:46 PM

It would make for a busy trip but you could visit Florence for a day if you don't have too many sights you really want to see in Rome. The train to Florence takes a little more than an hour and a half one way.
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by yasvish
Hello,
I am planning a 11 day trip to Italy this August - tickets are bought already. ( from the US ). Como was pretty important to us - hence the plan to go there. Haven't bought any inter-city tix yet but hotels are booked .
Day 1 - Reach Rome around 11:30 AM
Day 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 - in Rome
Day 5 - Have a 7:30 AM Vatican breakfast tour ( only day we could get ) - so attend that , checkout that day from Rome and head to Lake Como ( high speed train ).
Day 5 , 6 , 7, 8 - Como . Checkout on day 8
Day 8 , 9 , 10, - Venice
Flight back is on Day 11 at noon.

I am struggling with deciding whether we can manage a day trip to Florence from Rome on one of the days - given that we have 3 full days there . I know it is very short but I was hoping to see the Accademia and a few other sites. Not planning on the Uffisi.
Any input if that is too much? Also if you think the planning for this is way off - please let me know .
I would stick to Rome. There is SO much to see in Rome that you may wish you had more time. Don’t try to see it all - less really us more. And Rome is packed with places to see. Don’t try to squeeze Florence in.
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Will you be in Italy between Aug. 11th and Aug. 20th? If so, where will you be? I ask because Tuesday, Aug. 15th, is the biggest holiday of the summer for Italians and trains, ferries and roadways will be busy that week.

Florence is my favorite of the major Italian cities, but I wouldn't try to visit it as a day trip, epsecially during that holiday period. And, three full days in Rome isn't very long at all, especially if it is really hot and humid. Temps in the 90s(F) and high humidity % in both Rome and Florence are pretty common in August.
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 06:31 PM

I agree that you should save Florence for another trip. You already have a short stay in Rome, and there is so much to see there!
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 10:40 PM

Florence can also feel hotter than Rome. It won't be but Rome will be less humid.

What you should do depends on your interests. You've decided to put days into Como for that reason. It's no different with Florence. If it matters fit it in.

If it wasn't for the Vatican on departure day I would have suggested leaving Rome early. Stopping in Florence. Spend the day. Head north. But that won't work.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For me, Firenze is the place to be, but you have booked Rome and I'd stick with it. 3 days is not much for Roma. Largo Como, is not really in the same league and, for me, I'd take a day off it, but you say it is important. So, why not just stop on the way to Como, leave your bags in left luggage and then have half a day there?

There are a bunch of different companies either at the station or nearby, here is one https://firenzedepositobagagli.com/ no idea how good.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 04:00 AM
J62

I second the reo to stop on the way to Como. All roads that lead from Rome to Como stop in Florence.....
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by J62
I second the reo to stop on the way to Como. All roads that lead from Rome to Como stop in Florence.....
and the trains, which are about the same time and no need to have to find a place to park (which can be a nightmare)
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 05:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
**So, why not just stop on the way to Como, leave your bags in left luggage and then have half a day there?**

It would depend on the day of the week. No point being in Florence on a day when a lot of things you want to see might be closed.

As for Como, there has been a landslide a couple of weeks ago that closed the train around Varenna and the road along the lake. Not sure how soon that will be fixed and you didn't say where you are staying on the lake. They've added some buses (some roads are open, just not the one on the lake in that section). The slide has closed the railway between Lierna and Bellano. Trenord operates those lines. Originally, I had seen it was expected to take a couple of months for repairs. Perhaps message your hotel if it's an issue for you.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much !! I am going to consider the following -
Stay in Rome for that duration -
Possibly stop over in Firenze on my way to Como / cut a day in Como - may be difficult with the Vatican being in the morning so we probably would need to stay the night there . That part would be Tues/Wed - middle of the week.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 07:19 AM

Welcome, yasvish. I met a man who took a guided day trip from Rome to Florence and said he loved it despite it being a very long day. I'd take a day from Lake Como rather than from Rome. What are your plans for Como?
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 07:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you staying on Lake Como. The best scenery is mid lake.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

We were just planning to stay in Como town itself. I am not renting a car so thought that getting around would be easiest there . We were just planning to walk around - take some scenic trails , relax a bit - maybe take the ferry to Bellagio and/or some other scenic towns.
Is there anything I should be doing that would be better?
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 07:53 AM

Just wondering...you said Como is important, so are you sure you want to cut a day from there? On your arrival day, it's only part of a day, even less if you stop in Florence on the way. Then you leave on the 8th, so you really only have two full days in Como. Your call.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

As I was pondering this and @susanp - your comment is entirely valid . - I happened to check what the cost would be if I extended my stay for 2-3 days ( returning August 16 / 17 ) and it is actually cheaper . I can get e-credit back !

But that would mean I would be in Venice on the big holiday on the 15 , since my return is booked from there . My hotels are all cancellable so I could do Florence for 2/3 days after Rome .

So question for all you great people - how busy/bad will the Aug 14-16 be in Venice and is it worth doing that? I do really appreciate all your help . I am going with full knowledge about heat/humidity/crowds - unfortunately with the school schedule July/Aug are the only times we can really travel .

Old Jun 4th, 2023, 08:36 AM

I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in Venice. It'll be packed to capacity the days before and the days after the 15th. Maybe the last week of August might be 96% of capacity. Might be 99% -)
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 09:08 AM

as Nick says, Venice is packed
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Well if it is packed anyway - then it doesn't really matter when I come back , thank you ! I think I will extend the trip then .