Search

4 days in yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2023, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in yellowstone

Hi there,

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions for an itinerary for 4 days (full days, ie arriving and departing on sunday/friday) in yellowstone for summer 2024. We are a family of 5 with kids aged 5,8 and 9). We plan to arrive from chicago (ie could fly to eg jackson or Bozenan) and plan to fly to Las Vegas (I believe only direct flights from Bozenan). We plan to rent a car.

TIA
Old May 29th, 2023, 07:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Flight schedules can and probably will change in the next year. Look into flying from Chicago to SLC and renting the car there. That way you get to see the Tetons before you get to Yellowstone. Smaller airports like Bozeman have a lower inventory of vehicles that would work for your family including luggage. Rental costs tend to be higher as well. Other airports to consider would be Spokane Washington and Boise Idaho.
Old May 29th, 2023, 09:42 AM

The Yellowstone-Teton region may have more beautiful natural features than any other place in Continental US other than Yosemite. Besides Old Faithful, the main attractions are the Lamar Valley which has roaming herds of bison and elk plus wolves feeding on them (sunrise guided tours are available) and the Great Canyon of the Yellowstone which has a steep, deep canyon with waterfalls and hot springs. There lie three spectacular waterfalls: Lower, Upper and Crystal Falls. Reportedly, the Grand Prismatic Spring is a must-see. According to one poster, wandering around Geyser Hill at night, is a magical experience. You can soak in the Boiling River Hot Spring which is cool enough for bathers/swimmers. Raft the wild Yellowstone River or go horseback riding in the park. Hike the two-mile Yellowstone Lake Overlook Trail to a high mt. meadow with a fantastic view of Yellowstone Lake and distant mts. Take a cruise on Yellowstone Lake aboard the Lake Queen and see lots of wildlife. One can ride bicycles on a paved path 3.1 miles from Jackson to Jenny Lake in the Grand Teton National Park (the Teton Mts. are the most majestic of the Lower 48).It’s cheaper and easier to stay in West Yellowstone if you don’t stay in the park itself. A park ranger will give you a map and tell you where all the cool stuff is located.
Old May 30th, 2023, 04:37 PM

If you click on my user name, you will find a trip report for young kids in Yellowstone. I also have a trip report for Jackson Wyoming from another year--if you wanted to add in Grand Tetons NP.