Bus, train, and automobile?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2023, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great advice to use theairlineoxford.co.uk to find a bus from Heathrow to Oxford. Now I need advice on other segments of my trip.

1. What is the best way to get from Oxford to Moreton-in-Marsh? I need to arrive around 3-3:30 on Saturday June 24 to meet my tour group.

2. What is the best way to get from Moreton-in-Marsh to Windsor? I will be leaving M-in-M around 10:00 am on Saturday July 1.

3. I would like to have a taxi or car service take me from Windsor to Heathrow on Tuesday morning, July 3. Any advice?

Also, would it be better to purchase all these tickets before my trip or wait till I get to the bus or train station?
Thanks in advance!!
Old May 21st, 2023, 05:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just quick - in London right now and sitting down to Sunday lunch - but train to M-i-M , and any taxi in Windsor will take you to LHR.
Old May 21st, 2023, 08:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
CarolynAnn, have a look at https://www.rome2rio.com a really useful site for transport information with links to the applicable websites. Buying tickets ahead of travel can save you money & bother on travel days or maybe get you the option you want on days that seats sell out. Compare ticket prices generally by looking at same day travel vs an advance date.

Old May 21st, 2023, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Or this uk based tool
https://www.traveline.info/
Old May 21st, 2023, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! The train from Oxford to M-in-M looks easy enough. And I will definitely do the taxi from Windsor to LHR.
The only segment that may be more difficult is the M-in-M to Windsor, I've only been able to find train service (which is fine) but it involves two changes - one in Reading and one in Slough. I read somewhere that it's probably easier to stop in Slough and take a taxi directly to my hotel in Windsor, which sounds good. I guess my concern is dealing with my luggage on a train. I will go as light as possible - a carry-on and an under-the-seat bag, How difficult is it to get on and off the train with bags, bearing in mind that I'm 75
Old May 21st, 2023, 02:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Another option and possibly cheaper and easier would be train in to Oxford, express coach to LHR and taxi to Windsor.
Old May 21st, 2023, 10:54 PM

getting on and off trains,

There are no very high trains in the UK (ie like in Hungary or in old Wild West movies), but there is a step which is more or less level. (Wheel chair access would need a gentle ramp which can be arranged). On most trains there will be a small space of deep shelves where people have to stick their very big bags. Since most people don't carry these things they will fill up but are generally safe to use (theft does happen but not common). Seating areas tend to have a rack above (yes people will help you stick stuff up, but you should ask, not just look helpless (Brits don't like to interfere if you want to struggle)). In standard class there should be space enough around your legs for a second small bag. Do not put your bag on the chair next to you as that is considered bad behaviour. In first class you get more space.

Any ticket with a seat reservation has a number. When you get to your carriage you will see some numbers by the main door. This indicates which door is sensible to enter. So 1-35 means just this while the other end of the carriage will have say 36-72. Walking along the platform is always easier than inside.

Getting off is just as easy, a train may have an internal screen and will have an announcement reminding you to take all your stuff and clean up if you left a mess. People will start getting up a couple of minutes before you stop and standing in a queue in the corridor to de-train (not a British expression) is pretty normal but not vital. The people waiting to get on will wait for people to get off but only as long as the flow keeps coming. If you are late in moving then you will have to cope with the stream coming the other way.

I hope that explains it all
Old May 22nd, 2023, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Janis, that's a great idea - I'll check it out. I would never have thought of that routing - thanks!!

Bill, I really appreciate all the detailed information - you've relieved a lot of my concerns. Thanks so much!!
Old May 25th, 2023, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Moreton-in-Marsh to Windsor

After researching all the options, it seems that taking a train from Moreton-in-Marsh To Slough and then taking a taxi to my hotel from there is my best & cheapest option. It's about 4 miles from the train station to my hotel and I would have to take a taxi in any event. Does this sound ok? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Carolyn
Old May 25th, 2023, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynAnn
After researching all the options, it seems that taking a train from Moreton-in-Marsh To Slough and then taking a taxi to my hotel from there is my best & cheapest option. It's about 4 miles from the train station to my hotel and I would have to take a taxi in any event. Does this sound ok? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Carolyn
It does seem to be the best and quickest option. Bearing in mind your previous comments re luggage/changing trains, I would make sure you buy the ticket that routes though Oxford and Didcot Parkway. Those stations are relatively small and easy to navigate. Some journeys may require you to change in Reading which is a much larger more complex station and could involve quite a tramp from one platform to another. There are lifts and escalators but IME it is still a pain.

NB . Bear in mind that the Transport Unions have said they will continue strike action throughout the year. There is a possibility that a strike could fall on the day you want to travel. If so it would not be a pleasant journey! Probably unlikely but travel is affected quite badly for a couple of days either side of a strike day. Maybe just keep an eye out for strike action and have a plan B.

One, probably expensive thought, would be a taxi all the way. When we go from our home near Oxford, to Heathrow it is usually by driving or bus but I just checked and a taxi would cost £130. I am sure there will be taxi firms doing airport runs from MIM so it may be worth check that out just as an option. I would take a guess at £150.
Old May 26th, 2023, 03:52 AM

crellston provide excellent advice but just to clarify. "Transport Unions" tend to focus on one form of transport at a time. So if the trains stop, the tube may well carry on as well as the buses.
Old May 26th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Great info! Especially the part about Reading rail station. I'd much prefer the smaller stations but I'm not sure how to book trains that routes though Oxford and Didcot Parkway. Every schedule I look at changes at Reading. So do I buy one ticket to Oxford, then anothr from Oxford to Slough?
Old May 27th, 2023, 12:29 AM

I took another look on Nationalrail.co.uk today and it seems that the route via Oxford/Didcot Parkway to Slough is only temporary (probably due to works on the line) and involves a bus journey which is also a bit of a pain. By the time you go in June there will only be a service via Reading. See https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servi...ySelected=true

It seems you would arrive at Platform 10 and leave from Platform 15 with 17 mins to get between the two (should be plenty). Here is the platform map for Reading. There appear to be both lifts and escalators to the walkway between platforms so it shouldn't be too bad. With the connection above you would have 15 -20 mins to make your connection which should be fine. the journey time would be 1 hour 20min plus taxi to Windsor . Getting the 12.55 from MIM should get you there in plenty of time but if concerned, the 11.55 may be better

Reading-Station-Map.pdf
Old May 27th, 2023, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

You have been tremendously helpful!! Thank you so much.