Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay one night, NYC to Montreal (Driving)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2023, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Further to my previous threads we will be overnight at the Liberty Harbor RV NYC park to see a show at MSG. The next day we will head towards Montreal, there's every chance (knowing us) we will make it in one go. But if you can suggest a great little town to stop at for the night, we'd definitely call in to have a look and maybe stay and have dinner.
Old May 5th, 2023, 12:52 AM

It's a six hour drive. Probably not worth an overnight but Saratoga Springs might be good place to stop for lunch or stretch legs. You can sample the famous srping water. If it's saturday, check to see farmers market. I enjoyed it. We visited as part of a food tour but you don't have to be on a food tour. The food tour was fun. There's some interesting shops you could visit on your own but you wouldn't get food samples.
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:00 AM
J62

Saratoga Springs is a good half way point - three hours from both NYC and Montreal. Remind us, when are you traveling? I didn't find the date in your other thread. I recall it being June I think, which would make the MSG concert Fri June 2... June is busy, but not as crazy as July when the horse race track opens. Horses are already in town running at the practice track - many enjoy watching them run for their morning workout. The performing arts center also draws big crowds, but the 1st big draw isn't until mid June (Dead & co), so early June is good timing.

Burlington is a longer haul, and just 1hr or so from Montreal, and not on a straight shot on the highway.

In 'toga, Saturday night restaurants are busy so reservations recommended. If you private message me I can help you hone in on a few restaurant recommendations, and give you feedback on any places you may be considering parking the RV.... There are a few local RV campgrounds outside town, but since you're just looking for a quick stopover a place right downtown might be ideal if you're looking to enjoy an evening out. There is a city lot right downtown that has some outside/ground level spaces that are always available.. It's part of the city center garage, paid lot. I'll check it out to see if there are height restrictions. Other on or off street parking could also be an option, a block or 2 off the main drag...... I'm sure I can come up with something for you..... @aussiedreamer - send me a private message to get into details offline...

There is also a Sunday farmers market, at the Spa State Park. We prefer that market over the one mentioned by dfrostnh for reasons not worth going into here....Early June there won't be much local produce.

Old May 5th, 2023, 07:43 AM

If you have an extra day or two go to Quebec City. It's 2.5 hours from Montreal. It has the French language, culture and food and “romantic” European-style architecture (it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO). Founded in 1608, the original French settlers built in the French style of that period. It is the only fortified city in north of Mexico. There are buildings, houses and churches dating from the 1600s including Maison Puiseaux, Maison de madame de La Peltrie, Basilique-cathedrale de Notre-Dame, Maison-Duc-de-Kent, and Seminaire-du-Quebec. "The Old Quebec historic district resembles the historic walking areas that can be found in Europe's most classic cities, with plenty of shops, European-style eateries, sidewalk cafés, and parks. The picturesque old cobblestone streets are sprinkled with historic buildings, churches and shops, with the magnificent St. Lawrence River as the backdrop. Towering over the old town is the Château Frontenac, a grand hotel dating from 1893. Surrounding the city are the stone walls or fortifications which the French built hundreds of years ago to protect the city from being attacked." Eat rabbit at a French classic bistro such as Le Lapin Saute or eat yummy crepes at Le Billig. Grab a croissant or baguette at Panetier Baluchon.
Old May 5th, 2023, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you thank you
What great replies, I will investigate every one.

I have looked into Saratoga Springs, actually found a lovely brewery we can stay at for free, as I’ve joined a site that lets you know what wineries/breweries allow you to stay overnight.
So I’ve booked some lovely places for when we are wanting just one night.

re Quebec City, we will go there after Montreal for 3 nights. Thanks for the list of things to do.
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:55 PM
J62

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
Thank you thank you thank you
What great replies, I will investigate every one.

I have looked into Saratoga Springs, actually found a lovely brewery we can stay at for free, as I've joined a site that lets you know what wineries/breweries allow you to stay overnight.
So I've booked some lovely places for when we are wanting just one night.

re Quebec City, we will go there after Montreal for 3 nights. Thanks for the list of things to do.
Sounds great. The only breweries near town I am aware of are Druthers, and Whitman both right in town and Artisnal just 2 mi or so outside of the town. The latter has big parking lot and plenty of space so if that's the one its a good spot. If its somewhere else then we should talk offline…

Last edited by J62; May 5th, 2023 at 04:20 PM.