1 week in Alps: Austria vs Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2023, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My husband, 14 yr old son and I are interested in visiting the Alps and doing some hiking in July. We want to hike in Austria or Switzerland since my son is learning German in school and we want to expose him to German speaking countries (we went to Germany last year). Can anyone give me some good recommendations of places to hike in Austria and/or Switzerland? We'd love to see, and if possible hike, on a glacier. We haven't booked flights, so we can fly into any airport. My son is also interested in stopping in Liechtenstein, if we were close. I appreciate all recommendations. Thanks!
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 04:51 PM

I do not think that hiking on a glacier is recommended, unless wearing crampons and on a well designated route. But you can go inside a glacier, unless it has disappeared completely in the last few years, in Gletsch Switzerland.

https://www.somethingswiss.com/blog/.../rhone-glacier
Old May 1st, 2023, 07:51 AM

Glacier hikes in the German speaking parts of the Alps, which don't need picks and ropes, but at least small crampons:
Switzerland (except French speaking Western Switzerland):
Saas Fee: Felskinn gondola station - Britannia Hut
Zermatt: Trockerner Steg gondola station - Gandegg Hut - Theodul Hut - Testa Grigia gondola station
Pontresina: Diavolezza Hut gondola staion - Morteratsch railway station (daily offered guided group tours only, otherwise way too dangerous)
Tyrol (North, East and South):
Vent/Oetztal: Hochjoch Hospiz - Brandenburger Hut
Vent/Oetztal: Vent - Ramol Hut
Mittelberg/Pitztal: Pitztaler Gletscherbahn - Braunschweiger Hut
Kurzras/Martelltal: Hotel Grawand - Schoene Aussicht Hut
Vernagt/Martelltalimilaun Hut - Martin Busch Hut (very strenuous, but not dangerous)
Franz Josef Hut (Grossglockner) - Oberwalder Hut - Rudolfs Hut (very long).

But be aware that glacier hikes can only be done by people with mountain hiking expereince in a good physical condition and with a normal hiking equipment (hiking boots, rain gear, water and food, sun protection). Glacier hikes are extremely dangerous if the weather is cloudy, foggy or if there is much wind.
Old May 1st, 2023, 08:33 AM
P_M

I love both countries but I prefer Austria. It's less expensive and equally beautiful, and there are many hiking trails. If you hike on a glacier I recommend going with a guide or a group, and of course wear crampons and helmets. I was recently on a glacier hike in Iceland, with a group of course, and a man in our group took quite a fall. Thank God people were there to help him.

You mentioned your son wants to practice German. I've been told that Swiss German is different from German in Germany. I was in Switzerland about 30 years ago with a German friend, and of course German was her first language. At first she really struggled with Swiss German but she eventually got used to it. I don't think that's the best place for a newbie to practice.
Old May 1st, 2023, 12:44 PM

Swiss and Austrian people speak dialects that tourists from Northern Germany don't understand.
But both speak of course good German with not native people.
Old May 1st, 2023, 07:00 PM
kho

You can hike on a guided tour of the Aletsch Glacier out of Bettmeralp, Switzerland.
Old May 6th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
P_M: what areas of Austria do you enjoy hiking at? We’ve been to Vienna before and would be interested in hiking the Austrian Alps or Western Austria.
neckervd: do you know of any companies that offer guided glacier trips in Austria or Switzerland? I’d definitely prefer to be with a guide.
Old May 6th, 2023, 11:49 PM
P_M

Hello again. Please check out Exodus Travels. I've done several hiking trips with Exodus and they've all been wonderful.

I'm traveling in France now so I'm not checking the board much, but if you send me a private message I will reply.
Old May 7th, 2023, 12:56 AM

Guided glacier tours make only sense if the weather is fine. Therefore it's not a good idea to book them long ahead.
On popular glacier trails like Felskinn - Britanni Hut oder Vent - Ramol hut, you can just follow many other people who do the same hike.Otherwise it's easy to find a guide at the Tourist offices of mountain stations like Saas Fee, Zermatt, etc.
Old May 7th, 2023, 03:33 AM

In Switzerland, there are wonderful glacier caves in Zermatt on the Little Matterhorn or in Saas-Fee on the Mittelallalin glacier. At the same time, you have beautiful views of the glaciers in these areas. However, a guide is highly recommended for hiking on these glaciers.

Have a great trip!
Martin
Old May 25th, 2023, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

We decided to go to Austria Alps. Think we need more time for Switzerland. Will fly in/out of Munich July 14-21. Will go to lake near Bodensee and one night in Lichtenstein. Want to hike there. We will spend one night either in Innsbruck or in a picturesque Alpine town: any recs?? We have 3 nights booked near the Dachstein Glacier in Schladming. Any recommendations on good hikes in the area? Will definitely visit Hallstatt as well.
Old May 26th, 2023, 03:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You might want to check out Berchtesgaden, Mittenwald, or Garmisch, Germany. All easy to reach from Munich, and all gorgeous mountainous towns with lots of hikes on offer.

Seefeld, Austria is also a easy train ride from Innsbruck and has loads of hikes on offer. You could also check out Kitzbuhel or Mayrhofen. You will be spoiled for choice as far as hikes go.

https://www.tyrol.com/places/a-seefe...00dc948c46bb7f

Sure wish you'd reconsider Lichtenstein. Been there and through there many times and it's really not much to get excited about, but your trip.
Old May 26th, 2023, 04:23 PM

I'm with Melnq8 on Liechtenstein ... on a trip driving from Italy back to Germany we stopped for lunch in Liechtenstein. While the lunch was fine there isn't much to see apart from the ducal palace and a couple of tourist shops, and even then I think you can't go into the palace. If you must factor it in it's worth no more than an hour or two on the way to somewhere else.

Lavandula

Old May 26th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Melnq8, thanks for the links to the hikes. I appreciate the input on Liechtenstein. It’s one place that my teenage son asked to go when we decided to take him hiking in German speaking countries (he’s learning German in school). So, we will have low expectations and enjoy one day there before heading into Austria.
Old May 26th, 2023, 10:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My BIL lives across the tiny valley from Liechenstein so I often holiday in the area. Lake Constance is pleasant enough with good roller blading, cycling but is dead flat so hiking would be dull.

Liechenstein is exciting if you love stamps. That is it.

I'd rather go to Au and walk up the hills to the west. I've cycled through Liechenstein so you don't need to.
Old May 28th, 2023, 01:11 AM

I don't know any somewhat interesting lake "near Bodensee".
It's not impossible to hike in Liechtenstein. There are even some very strenuous (if not dangerous) trails in the Drei Schwestern area. But they are far away from any scenic glaciers or other attractive mountain areas.
The phantastic panoramic alpine trails are some 50 miles south-east of Liechtenstein.
The hiking trail netword around Schladming is some hundreds miles long. You don't need any rfecommendation. Just do what you like.
The Dachstein gondola is already running. Good for all those who like to enjoy this mountain area before all the loudand noisy tourist crowds will transform it in a kind of Disneyland in July and August.

Airports:
There are 2 international airports along Lake Constance (Bodensee): Friedrichshafen and St. Gallen Altenrhein.Zurich airport and Memmingen airport are some 30-50 miles away.
Schladming - the easternmost glacier area odf the Alps - is a bit closer to Munich airport than to Vienna airport.