from porto to morocco--passport question--please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2023, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I want to say that I have searched through several threads and the frequently asked questions on the right about passports but I have yet to find a source that I can print or refer to that I can use to back me up. We are scheduled to fly RYANAIR out of Porto next week and even though we thought we had covered our bases by looking up Visas, etc we somehow missed the 6 month validity rule. We have 3 teens whose passports expire in August 2023 (gives them 5 months validity). We do have return tickets back to Porto after a 3 day stay, Riad booked and excursions booked. I have contacted RyanAir which has told me (documented in a chat) that they will allow boarding with 3 months validity but they cannot guarantee entrance into/out of Morocco without issue. These are US passports. (I see many of the links are for the UK gov) I have emailed and called the consulate and embassy but have not heard back. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. We need a guarantee we can get in or we will have to cancel this portion of our trip. (thankfully Portugal clearly states 3 month validity) Thanks so much for any prompt attention to this!!!!! We need some type of printed proof that we can enter.
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 08:13 PM

Even if you get someone to "allow" for it in writing, does not mean that once you cross the border into Morocco that it will be accepted. The requirements state it must be valid for 6 months.

Short of getting expedited renewals (which given the backlog at US passport processing), you might be out of luck. Personally, I would not risk it to Morocco.

I can't think of anything else other that possibly contacting an immigration attorney (only so much they can do) and trying to continue your luck with Moroccon Consulates. Or perhaps trying an US Consulate in Portugal - even that is risky.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Mar 11th, 2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 08:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

"We need a guarantee we can get in or we will have to cancel this portion of our trip."

No one can guarantee anything . . . Even IF Morocco only required 3 months validity, it still wouldn't be guaranteed since it is up to the officer at Immigration. However -- the US State Department website does clearly state 6 months. Also -- sorry, but a RyanAir chat won't necessarily guarantee the gate agent will let you board.

(the one and only time I've been to Morocco was years ago and I don't remember that rule but countries can and do change entrance requirements).

Old Mar 11th, 2023, 08:28 PM

Didn't mean to pile on -- didn't see Travel_Nerd's post while I was checking the State Dept website.

I suggest you find some other places to visit in Portugal instead . . .
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've always had positive contact with Morocco officials but they have nothing to do, have a boring job etc. I'd not risk it.
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 11:18 PM

I am so sorry this oversight occurred to you. It looks as if the rule is pretty firm. Will Ryanair let you hop over to someplace in Spain you might enjoy for three days? I know it is not the same, but still could be fun. Thank you for posting. Your dilemma is a good reminder for the rest of us. It is easy to miss things.
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 11:20 PM

GOV U.K. states 3 month passport validity for Morocco.

US State dept states at least 6 months validity

TIMATIC & Traveldocs states passport needs to be valid for the duration of the stay.

Make out of that what you will. Many airlines use TIMATIC for document checking. I’d continue trying to contact the consulate in an attempt to verify.

Old Mar 11th, 2023, 11:29 PM

More info from Ryanair website:

2.1.1.1 For travel outside the EEA (European Economic Area), the passport must be valid for the period of the intended stay, except for the below countries:
  • For travel to Jordan, the passport must be valid for six months beyond the period of the intended stay.
  • For travel to Turkey, the passport must be valid for six months from the date of entry.
  • For travel to Montenegro, the passport must be valid for at least 3 months.
  • For travel to Bosnia and Herzegovina, the passport must be valid for at least 3 months.

No mention of any rules for Morocco.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...nsar_368204930
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 01:30 AM

I thought I'd check the TA Morocco forum as this question must have come up before. This poster has asked the same question two days ago on the TA forum with the Morocco destination experts explaining the confusion around passport validity. There is no 6 month rule, posters there are saying they have entered Morocco with as little as 32 days validity left although that was 2 years ago. It does tie in however with what TIMATIC and Traveldocs state today.

Its wishful thinking that the spouse is going to get anything in writing about this from the Consulate. The Consulate doesn't owe anyone anything in writing, there are no guarantees to enter any country anywhere no matter what docs you have. The entry decision is made by immigration.

Last edited by balthy; Mar 12th, 2023 at 01:34 AM.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 03:53 AM

It doesn't really matter what Ryanair, The UK Foreign office or US State Dept say, it is the Moroccan authorities that will decide whether or not to let you into their country. According to the Evisa section of the MoroccanConsulate General website @ Conditions%20utilisation%20eVisa%20-%20An.pdf , passports need to be valid for "at least 90 days from the date of the application"

In your circumstances, I would be contacting the NYC office of the consulate for clarification Home | The consulate general of Morocco in New York

Good luck
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
It doesn't really matter what Ryanair, The UK Foreign office or US State Dept say, it is the Moroccan authorities that will decide whether or not to let you into their country. According to the Evisa section of the MoroccanConsulate General website @ Attachment 7978 , passports need to be valid for "at least 90 days from the date of the application"

In your circumstances, I would be contacting the NYC office of the consulate for clarification Home | The consulate general of Morocco in New York

Good luck
Quoting visa rules does not help, it is that which confused the issue of passport validity in the first place. It has no relevance to a US passport holder who does not need a visa for Morocco. Those who require visas need to have a certain validity left in their passports for a visa.

There is no validity required over and above the duration of the stay in Morocco and they have plenty of validity over the recommended 3 months as stated on GOV UK

>Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay in Morocco. However, the Moroccan Consulate General in London advise that your passport should be valid for at least 3 months on your date of entry to Morocco. If your passport does not meet this requirement you may face difficulties and you should check with the Moroccan authorities and your travel provider before travelling.<

The OP has 5 months validity, there isn't an issue.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rules for UK passport holders are relevant only for UK passport holders. The OP says quite clearly that they are asking about US passports.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 08:15 AM

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...s/Morocco.html

This is from the US State department and appears to be current as there are frequent updates.
It says for entrance to Morocco, US citizens are required to have six months remaining on ten year passports and one blank page.

Morocco requires only three months for UK and European citizens. Totally not relevant to the OP.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 10:25 AM

The link I provided was from the office of the Moroccan Consulate General in New York City, USA . I appreciate that US citizens are not required to apply for an evisa but that doesn’t stop them applying for a visa if they so choose.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
The rules for UK passport holders are relevant only for UK passport holders. The OP says quite clearly that they are asking about US passports.
It’s relevant for anyone who doesn’t need a visa.

Old Mar 12th, 2023, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
The link I provided was from the office of the Moroccan Consulate General in New York City, USA . I appreciate that US citizens are not required to apply for an evisa but that doesn’t stop them applying for a visa if they so choose.
If they had to apply for one eg a business visa, then yes they’d need the minimum validity specified.

Old Mar 12th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

I do plan to pursue calling New York tomorrow but wonder if I'll have any luck. Posted with permission....an answer on another thread: Thoughts?My belief in how this confusion came around is that some unnamed official in an office somewhere in Morocco saw that you needed six months validity on your passport if applying for a visa, and assumed this meant six months for everyone. And then this got repeated in various documents.

A similar scenario to the "eight glasses of water" statement in the US,

I've corresponded with the British Foreign Office on this subject and they have liaised with their counterparts in Morocco and the wording on the official British advice at (fodors won't let me attach the link to the UK/gov website) has been amended to ...

... "Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay in Morocco. However, the Moroccan Consulate General in London advise that your passport should be valid for at least 3 months on your date of entry to Morocco. "

There is a halfway good reason for suggesting at least three months, as this is the length of stay that you are entitled to when you enter the country and there is a small chance that you could stay the 90 days and find your passport is out of date when you try to exit. However if you are carrying return tickets or can show an itinerary that displays your plans to return earlier, then that possibility disappears.

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 12th, 2023 at 12:24 PM. Reason: removed massive amount of white space
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by serenitynow
. . .
I've corresponded with the British Foreign Office on this subject and they have liaised with their counterparts in Morocco and the wording on the official British advice at (fodors won't let me attach the link to the UK/gov website) has been amended to ...

... "Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay in Morocco. However, the Moroccan Consulate General in London advise that your passport should be valid for at least 3 months on your date of entry to Morocco . . . "

I thought the kids hold US passports?? Why would the British Foreign Office have anything to do with this?
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 01:02 PM

The British Foreign Office hasn't got anything to do with it.

I think the OP should have put some context in that post, the OP should be saying that on TA where this question was posted, a reply from one of the DEs for Morocco, who seems to know alot about their entry requirements got the GOV UK info on Morocco corrected from 6 months to the above text. It was a mistake on the GOV UK website.

It is also believed on the TA forum that the confusion with passport validity started when someone thought everyone needed six months regardless if they needed a visa or not. But it is only those who need visas who have to have a certain validity, countries that do not require a visa only require the passport to be valid for their stay, that includes the US.

As I posted before, I couldn't find any requirement for minimum ppt validity for US passport holders on TIMATIC, Traveldocs or even the Ryanair website, where exceptions are listed & TIMATIC is what I would be going by.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 01:21 PM

https://ma.usembassy.gov/embassy-con...ship-services/

Perhaps the OP could contact the consulate in Morocco. Surely they would have correct information.
The info is a bit confusing, but it looks as if a US citizen needs 6 months remaining on the passport for entry and can stay 90 days. Any US citizen staying longer than 90 days needs to also obtain a visa.
Good luck to you. Hope you get to go to Morocco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -