Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Safari and climbing Kilimanjaro in a 2 week trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2022, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Africa next year and would love to do a safari and climb mount Kilimanjaro. I have found some safaris in the Ngorongoro Crater for 3 or 5 days, and some treks up Kilimanjaro for around 6/7 days. Is it feasible to do both in a two week trip? I've never been to Africa before and I'm wondering about the practicalities of travelling between these two places...

If anyone has any advice or has done similar trips and could share their rough itinerary, it would be a big help!

Thanks
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DaveUK
Hi

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Africa next year and would love to do a safari and climb mount Kilimanjaro. I have found some safaris in the Ngorongoro Crater for 3 or 5 days, and some treks up Kilimanjaro for around 6/7 days. Is it feasible to do both in a two week trip? I've never been to Africa before and I'm wondering about the practicalities of travelling between these two places...

If anyone has any advice or has done similar trips and could share their rough itinerary, it would be a big help!

Thanks
Hi DaveUK,
How are you? I would like to respond to your question. The answer is yes, it possible to do a combined trip for Mount Kilimanjaro climbing and Safari.

Recommended time for Kilimanjaro climbing is 7 days but depends on the route you may decide to choose. For the Lemosho route, you need 7/8 days. But for the Machame route, you climb for 6 or 7 days. The other option is the Marangu route which is possible for 5 or 6 days of climbing.

For safari/wildlife trips you should focus to spend 4- 5 days to be able to enjoy the game drive. Where you can visit Tarangire, Ngorongoro crater & Serengeti.

But don't forget to consider the time of the year you wish to visit Tanzania. During the rainy season, we can not recommend Kilimanjaro climbing.

TOUR PLAN IDEA
14 Days Tanzania Safari + Mount Kilimanjaro

7 Days Machame Route & 5 Days Safari + 2 days hotel /lodge stay

Day 1: Arrival - Hotel stay
Day2: Machame Gate- Machame Hut
Day 3: Machame Hut - Shira 2 camp
Day 4: Shira 2 to Barranco Valley
Day 5: Barranco Valley - Karanga Camps
Day 6: Karanga Camps to Barafu Camps - Uhuru Peak
Day 7: Uhuru Peak / Summit - Millenium camps/ Mweka camps
Day 8: Mweka camps - back to the hotel
Day 9: Tarangire National park
Day 10: Serengeti
Day 11: Serengeti
Day 12: Ngorongoro conservation area
Day 13: Ngorongoro crater - back to the hotel
Day 14: Airport transfers back home or to Zanzibar / Nairobi

Hope this will help you . Welcome to Africa

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 04:18 AM

First 2 weeks is more than enough to do trek up Kilimanjaro and safari. A normal and common Kilimanjaro climbing takes between 5 to 7 days depending on ones fitness and route using. This then means you can do first trekking and then finish with safari part as its more relaxing kind of spending more time in the vehicle during game drives. Ngorongoro is fantastic place to visit, however it would be great to do 2 places in 5 days or 6 you have for safari part. You can do 2 nights Ngorongoro, 2 nights Serengeti and 1 night Lake Manya or tarangire.