Search

How to Travel to and from Calabria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2022, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Travel to and from Calabria

Hello
I am traveling alone after spending some time in Naples with my husband. I am meeting some relatives I have never met before in Bovalino Calabria for a few days and then flying home to NYC.

I would prefer to fly home from Rome since there are direct flights and better airline choices.

Many people recommend the train but I noticed there are flights from Naples into the Reggio Calabria airport (which is near them) and then OUT of Reggio Calabria to Rome for like $50. Once back in Rome, I could fly out the next day (stay over at a hotel near the airport) with a better airline choice. Is there a reason this option isn't mentioned?

How have people gotten to Calabria and back? I am not going to drive. I know the other aiport in Calabria has more options but not sure about getting there... and I am sure the relatives will insist on driving and its 1.5 hours.

Thank you. And is traveling alone in Calabria as "dangerous" as it was 25 years ago?
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 05:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I traveled alone to Calabria in 1971 to the town my grandfather emigrated from, a little past Paola. If it was dangerous no one told me. I took the train from Naples and returned on it to Rome.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 03:51 PM

And is traveling alone in Calabria as "dangerous" as it was 25 years ago?
25 years ago was 1997 and nobody thinks at Calabria of those years as a dangerous place for solo travellers.

Nobody except the Americans, who always seem to know almost nothing, be scared of almost everything and in desperate need of judging all.

Being ignorant is not a crime, like having a complex of inferiority towards Europeans, but one really wonders where Americans learn such silly things and why they always repeat them without the slighted doubt in their minds. The truth is that in 1997 Calabria was far less dangerous than the typical US city during the great Crack epidemic of the 90s. Just like today, but for different reasons: In 1997 the problem was Crack, today it's armed lunatics killing toddlers.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

It was my Italian relatives from Calabria who said that to me--not an assumption that I made--they didn't want me driving or staying in a hotel alone. But still am unsure: train or fly from Naples and back to Rome.

Thank you.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 11:20 PM

The train is safe. It takes around 6 hrs, change at Lamezia and Catanzaro Lido.
Planes are safe too.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I was wondering how most people do it (sorry this got sidetracked by my "safety" comment from my cousins). Is the plane less of a hassle? Is one more likely to be on strike etc. Is the connection via train an easy one. etc. I don't have TONS of time so was thinking fly because I do want to LEAVE back to the US from Rome.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by RubyTwins
Thank you. I was wondering how most people do it (sorry this got sidetracked by my "safety" comment from my cousins). Is the plane less of a hassle? Is one more likely to be on strike etc. Is the connection via train an easy one. etc. I don't have TONS of time so was thinking fly because I do want to LEAVE back to the US from Rome.
I would fly. Also, I visit my relatives in calabria every other year or so. I would never be without a car there. It is completely the country with poor public transportation. I have never had any situation that was unsafe there.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AP6380
I would fly. Also, I visit my relatives in calabria every other year or so. I would never be without a car there. It is completely the country with poor public transportation. I have never had any situation that was unsafe there.
Thank-you I can now finalize my trip. Grazie!
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 01:07 AM

Calabria is " the country with poor public transportation" indeed. But Bovalina has a railway station with 15 daily trains in each direction. That changes a lot..
BTW: I couldn't find any direct flight from Naples to Reggio di Calabria, and even less from Naples to Lamezia (3 hrs by train).
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
Calabria is " the country with poor public transportation" indeed. But Bovalina has a railway station with 15 daily trains in each direction. That changes a lot..
BTW: I couldn't find any direct flight from Naples to Reggio di Calabria, and even less from Naples to Lamezia (3 hrs by train).
lamezia terme (suf) is another airport option
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 08:18 AM

"Lamezia terme (suf) is another airport option"
.....but not for people coming from Naples
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 01:29 AM

"Lamezia terme (suf) is another airport option"
.....but not for people coming from Naples
there are flights from Naples to lamezia.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 01:41 AM

.....I can't find any
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Lamezia is far from my relatives in Bovalino. I can't assume they will want to pick me up.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 06:01 AM

It's 2 1/2 hrs by airport bus and train from Bovalino, but that's irrelevant as there are no flights from Naples to Lamezia.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 06:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I love train travel as you see so much more than you do in airports and planes plus if you are traveling solo people are much more willing to chat - I had a great conversation with a lovely Italian lady travelling between Paris and Milan last month. So I would be inclined to take the train there and perhaps the plane back.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by annhig
Personally I love train travel as you see so much more than you do in airports and planes plus if you are traveling solo people are much more willing to chat - I had a great conversation with a lovely Italian lady travelling between Paris and Milan last month. So I would be inclined to take the train there and perhaps the plane back.
it seems like it won’t apply to the OP, but in the summer there are definitely flights Naples to suf.

Old Jun 30th, 2022, 05:36 AM

Then please, show us these flights. The only thing we can find in your post is a train ride from Naples to Lamezia Centrale and flight connections from Naples via Zurich or Rome to Lamezia which last longer than the train ride.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 03:58 AM

Then please, show us these flights. The only thing we can find in your post is a train ride from Naples to Lamezia Centrale and flight connections from Naples via Zurich or Rome to Lamezia which last longer than the train ride.
look like you got to fco then back down to suf. 3.5 hrs total.

Old Jul 4th, 2022, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the confirmation of my post 18!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -