Sicily Itinerary Set - Great Dining Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Sicily for 3 weeks beginning mid-September. Our itinerary is set, and it's now time to gather other details. I'd love to learn of your memorable dining experiences - fantastic food of course, but could also be about the location, atmosphere, service, etc. I've already noted the walk-up cannoli window near the Duomo in Ortigia. I also remember reading about a great deli to get made-to-order sandwiches to go, but I need to go back through all the trip reports to find where it was. (Possibly Ragusa?) Following is our itinerary: Thank you for tips!

Palermo - 4 nights with day trips to Cefalu and Monreale
Scopello - 3 nights with day trip to Erice
Castelvetrano - 2 nights, staying at an agriturismo that includes dinner, but will have day trips in the area
Agrigento - 1 night
Piazza Armerina - 2 nights
Ragusa - 3 nights (still considering whether to base here or another town in the area)
Ortigia - 3 nights
Catania - 2 nights
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 12:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
ORTIGIA:

Regina Lucia- reserve ahead- Delicious food and excellent service. We liked it so much that we returned a second time. Enter in a rear corner of Piazza Duomo, then downstairs in wine cellar. One of Ortigia’s top restaurants.

Locanda del Collegio- on Via Collegio. Fun, casual vibe with excellent food, outstanding seafood preparations. Order the swordfish! Also offers pizza. We had dinner here twice and got a pizza to go another time. Has some tables outside.

We had one disaster! Service, food, everything that could go wrong did. Avoid a restaurant whose name begins with “Don.” Stay away from this nightmare of a restaurant!

CASTELVETRANO:

Baffo’s- there were several different Baffo’s in the area. Good seafood and pizza. Casual. Some in Casteltrevano, other by waterfront in nearby Marinella de Selinunte.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jun 20th, 2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, Happy Trvlr.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 06:35 AM

We based in Modica (and visited Ragusa as a day trip) and really loved Modica. If you decide to change I have some restaurant suggestions for Modica.

Here are some places I recommend from our 2018 trip

Ortigia:
Dinner- Retroscena and Osteria Del Vecchio Ponte (just across the bridge in Syracuse)
Lunch- Cala Piada

Ragusa- lunch- OFF Odierna Finestra Ferreri

Palermo: Gianni Ristorante and Osteria Trabucco (we ate at Osteria Trabucco for lunch and then returned another night for dinner)

Catania- Il Gambero Pazzo
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 06:42 AM

looks like a fabulous itinerary!
Here are a few casual place recommendations, if you get weary of eating in more traditional places:
Palermo: CiCala wine bar, has great small plates and pizza, interesting selection of wines and the owner will enjoy helping you order both food and wine.
Piazza Armerina: we were only there one night, staying in a B&B close to Villa Romana del Casale. we went into town in the evening to find a place to eat and it was one of those times when nothing appealed. we did go into a place near the duomo at the tp of the hill. menu looked good, and we were seated but I started to get a weird vibe so we left. We ended up at Ristorante da Nino, on the outskirts of time and had a wonderful meal of steak, potatoes and salad. The restaurant got very crowded, with no other tourists in the place, and a few large parties celebrating family events.
Ortigia: there are two sandwich places in the market, Fratelli Burgio, where we shared a charcuterie and cheese board, and Caseficio Borderi, with the famous sandwiches (we'll try this Fall!). there are tables set up nearby where you can sit and enjoy, One evening, we were too full for a big dinner and went to EVOE, a wine shop/bar for some lovely wine and salads. By the way, we did eat at Don Camillo and had a lovely experience.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 07:10 AM

I also remember reading about a great deli to get made-to-order sandwiches to go, but I need to go back through all the trip reports to find where it was. (Possibly Ragusa?)

Caseificio Borderi in Ortigia (mentioned above) IS the sandwich place you likely heard of. There are many YouTube videos. We planned to go there, but, at the last minute, decided to have a lunch on he waterfront. Our son filmed this guy at work a couple years ago, and it is a real experience, and you definitely need to share a sandwich.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 01:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, if you go to Noto, Manna is a wonderful place to have a meal.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you! I'm full already! Cannot wait. I so appreciate you all taking the time to dig out your travel notes, and jog your memories.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 07:52 AM

In Erice, if you want to have lunch when you are there, check out Gli Archi di San Carlo.

Ristaurants Erice - Gli Archi di San Carlo

I have been several times and it is always wonderful. I believe they are closed Wednesdays so you need to work around that.

Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 07:57 AM

We were in Ortigia in April and discovered Cortile Santo Spirito and I would highly recommend it! We would have gone back two nights in a row if we had the chance. Both the food and service was extraordinary. It's in a luxury hotel down near the castle.

And another vote for Gli archi di San Carlo in Erice, and fratelli Burgios at the Ortigia market is a great lunch spot.
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Rialtogrl and Palatino82