Search

Sintra in June

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2022, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sintra in June

Hello, we will be in Sintra June 13 and we bought tickets for Pena Palace and castle of the Moors. We also want to see Quinta Regaleira and Monserrate(if possible). We will use the train to get to Sintra from Lisboa. I didn’t book a private guide because I felt that with the information I had collected in this forum and the Rick Steves guide I had plenty. I am now thinking if there is a private tuk tuk or transportation within Sintra that I can book ahead of time to move our family from one place to the next. I know there are shuttles but I understand the day I will be there is a Monday and also a day after a big holiday in Lisboa… which I dont know if it will affect even more crouds in Sintra. Inwould like for that service to pick us up at the train station in the early am (8:30 to be specific) and move us around town. Any suggestions??

Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:53 PM

Given the crowds found in Sintra these days and the fact that you'll be there on a Monday when visitors go to Sintra on the day that most Belém monuments are closed, it will be very difficult to see 4 monuments on a day trip from Lisbon.

The sites are just that crowded, especially in summer, and the Scotturb one directional buses, 434 and 435 are slow moving. The 434 to the Moors' Castle and Pena Park can often be crowded. That's why taxis and tuk tuks at the rail station do a brisk business up to Pena Park, when visitors see that the 434 bus jam packed. And it often doesn't run on schedule.

Have you purchased timed tickets to the inside of Pena Palace or just tickets to Pena Park? I suspect it's the former ?? since you want to start your day at 8:30 from the Sintra rail station?

You can try contacting this company, Tuk Dreams, to ask them to create a custom tour for you, but they'll most likely suggest that you attempt only 3 of the monuments. The 2 package tours they have on their web site aren't what you want, but they may be able to do something custom for you.

This TA review indicates that they can-

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Portugal.html

https://tukdreams.pt/en/tuk-sintra-2/
Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Maribel for your response. We are taking the train from Lisboa so we wanted to be picked up at the Sintra station and then go from there. We purchased just the tickets to the Pena Park. I was going to buy the ticket to Qunta also. I wanted a tour of Quinta but saw that the guided tours for Quinta are only on Tuesdays. Based on what I read in their web page.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 01:09 PM

Lunalove,
I’m so glad you only plan to go to the Peńa Palace park! I was just about to suggest that you bypass the interior and I see that you have already come to that conclusion! Good decision!

I can’t advise on any private tuk-tuks in Sintra, but we were just there and can tell you that there are crowds, so just be prepared. Maribel’s recommendations are invaluable so I hope that the tour company she recommends works out for you.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 01:16 PM

Yes, these days it's a very good idea just to skip the interiors, given progol's recent experience!!

We did go to Quinta da Regaleira on a Tuesday and "tagged along" for a bit with the small group guided tour, and the tour guide was excellent. And yes, you're correct that the guided tours aren't given, unfortunately, on Mondays.

From the web page for others interested-
"For those who want to visit us and be contextualized, guided tours in pre-defined languages are available from Tuesday to Saturday.
These tours are conducted by specialized guides and last approximately 90 minutes."
Old May 23rd, 2022, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Progol thanks a lot for the input. I have been doing a lot of research and realized that the dates we are going to be in Lisboa/Sintra is the big Festival de Santo Antonio and we are a bit nervous as we didn't realize that our trip fell in a holiday weekend that is so big. So we are hoping to get as organized as best as we can so we can enjoy our visit. If you or anyone in the forum has any other recommendations of what we can do for transportation and getting around the crowds we welcome the feedback.

We will also be in Lisboa June 11-12. We decicded June 13 for Sintra because it was a Monday and we knew that the museums in Belem would be closed.

Thanks so much again.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Maribel I contacted the tuk tuk company you recommended via email. Waiting for them to respond. Do you think it is best to call? Also, do you think we should hire a private tour guide? If so, do you have any recommendations? Do you think that would help make the best of our day in Sintra?
Old May 23rd, 2022, 01:26 PM

For your Santo António days is Lisbon, to get around the crowds, you might contact a former Fodorite ("Lobo Mau") who is now a Lisbon tuk tuk tour guide/driver. Several Fodorites have met him (unfortunately I won't get the chance until November) and have become friends with him. His English is impeccable.
https://www.otukdojoao.com/en/.

Old May 23rd, 2022, 03:34 PM

Sorry, I didn't see your last post for some reason.

The private tour guide that I've used and most recently poster Iwan2go has used (see her comments on her Trip Report) is Luisa of Lisbon Tour Guides. She will meet clients at the Sintra rail station. We've used the nice ladies of Lisbon Tour Guides for Sintra and for Lisbon. They're excellent.
https://lisbontourguides.pt/aboutus.
Old May 30th, 2022, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, I have Lobo Mau booked for both days I am in Lisbon. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Are there any specific tickets you recommend I purchase ahead of time for Lisbon? i.e. Monasterio or Carriage Museum?

Also, any idea if the festival is a whole day thing or just in the evening? We really didn't realize that the holiday would fall during our time in Lisbon and are trying to seek other alternatives (if any). We would like to experience it but we are nervous about the crowds. Any suggestions you can provide would be so appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2022, 04:18 PM

Yes, I recommend that you book your Jerónimos Monastery tickets on the official page here-
https://bilheteira.patrimoniocultural.pt/pos/event/list
Click on the photograph of the Monastery to see the available dates.

That will allow you to line up at 9:45 to be one of the first people in line when it opens at 10, so as to photograph easily. The bus tours begin to arrive at 11 and at noon, when I last passed by, the line was very, very long. Unfortunately to enter the church, which is free admission, requires standing in another line, but you can see the church from the Jerónimos choir after visiting the magnificent cloister (both floors).

I've had no problem with the Coach Museum, and you could actually leave it until last on your Belém day. Jerónimos, Belém Tower, Monument to the Discoveries get the most traffic.

If you see a long line outside of the Confeitaria Pastéis de Belém, don't worry, as the rooms inside are cavernous, and there's usually no wait to grab a table, or only a short wait since everyone orders the same thing-- the custard tarts and coffee, so there's a constant ebb and flow.

The festa will be all day long and into the evening, the longest night of the year for the city. You might want to explore a different neighborhood during the day, such as the Campo do Ourique/Estrela neighborhoods that won't be as crowded as Bairro Alto, Graça and Alfama (the latter, which will be especially crowded). There will be a parade down the elegant Avenida da Liberdade, which you may want to see. The Avenida is very wide with more "breathing room" than the narrow, twisting streets of Old Lisbon.

Have fun!!

Last edited by Maribel; May 30th, 2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old May 31st, 2022, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lunalove
Maribel, I have Lobo Mau booked for both days I am in Lisbon. Thanks so much for the recommendation.
Lucky you! He and his wife are incredibly kind and lovely people. You will enjoy his company, his knowledge of the area and his love for the city.