Travel to Italy After a French Long Stay Visa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to travel to Italy on June the 25th for approximately 7 to 10 days. I am currently in France on a 6-month long stay visa - this expires on June 4th. I hold a UK passport. Am I legally eligible to enter Italy on June the 25th or will I need to to remain in the UK for 90 days before entering Italy? A bit confused about this and would like clarity before booking flights and accommodation. I have tried contacting the Italian Embassy with no response. Any help much appreciated!
😊
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 01:32 AM

I assume you are returning to the UK on or before June 4th?
If so you shouldn't have a problem entering Italy. You will get an exit stamp in France which cancels that long stay visa, which probably only applies to France anyway.
If you are not returning you could have a problem as it will show up as a visa overstay.
Don't forget to keep a tally of your days in Schengen if you are likely to be travelling to Europe a lot.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 02:37 AM

A VLS never affects the 90/180 day rule. Once you have completed the 6 months of your visa, you may remain in the Schengen zone for an additional 90 days.

Some have said you need to exit the Schengen zone at the end of the visa but can immediately return under the 90/180 day allowance. I have never seen this in writing, and it does not make a lot of sense. In your case, leaving is not a factor.

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
I assume you are returning to the UK on or before June 4th?
If so you shouldn't have a problem entering Italy. You will get an exit stamp in France which cancels that long stay visa, which probably only applies to France anyway.
If you are not returning you could have a problem as it will show up as a visa overstay.
Don't forget to keep a tally of your days in Schengen if you are likely to be travelling to Europe a lot.

Thank you, I think that this makes sense, I just wish I had it in official writing somewhere!! Yes I will return to the UK prior to traveling to Italy. My only concern is that they won't let me in to Italy!
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sarastro
A VLS never affects the 90/180 day rule. Once you have completed the 6 months of your visa, you may remain in the Schengen zone for an additional 90 days.

Some have said you need to exit the Schengen zone at the end of the visa but can immediately return under the 90/180 day allowance. I have never seen this in writing, and it does not make a lot of sense. In your case, leaving is not a factor.
Fingers crossed.