Paris to Annecy - options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be flying into CDG from California - arriving on a Wednesday morning in September. Our plan is a four-week road trip through the south of France, hoping to start in Annecy, and ending with a (car-less) week in Paris. (I did look at flying into Geneva and out of Paris, but it wasn't feasible).

Trying to figure out the best way to get from CDG to Annecy. The train is a possibility, but expensive and would be time consuming. The plus, of course, is that we wouldn't have to drive jet-lagged - even though we would likely just drive long enough to get out of the city and then find a hotel for a night before continuing on to Annecy. We have lay-flat beds seats on the flight, so should be able to get some sleep, but we still won't want to chance driving after the time change. The "minus" for the train is the cost, and the time needed to connect.

The other "plus" is that by reducing our car rental time by two days (won't need the car until we leave Annecy after two nights), and no need for a hotel along the way, much of the cost of the train is probably compensated. There is no extra fee for dropping the rental car in Paris.

We have already spent time in Beaune and Dijon, so not planning a stopover there on the way, if we drive.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thank you.
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 09:59 AM

Hi scdreamer, I have no first-hand experience, but googling shows a TGV train to Annency. Hub and I took TGV from Paris to Avignon but I don't believe we left from CDG. There is a TGV station in CDG but I don't know its details. Can anyone help?
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Try Rome2rio.com. Fastest is to fly CDG to Geneva then bus from Geneva airport to Annecy.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Paris-C...ort-CDG/Annecy
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 12:10 PM

I would take the 2 hr TGV from CDG to Lyon. Stay the night, visit Lyon, rent a car, short drive to Annecy. Trains leave CDG at 11:57 & 14:57 on week days. You could even take the train from Lyon to Annecy - but there are probably more cars available in Lyon Part Dieu station than the Annecy station (we returned a car there & took the TGV to Paris).

We've visited Annecy many times - including a 2 week stay. A car is nice to have to get the various sites away from the small center of Annecy.

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Feb 26th, 2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Great idea - thank you so much!