Portland, OR for one night- suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be returning to Portland for one night, and have decided it might be best to drop off the rental car the night before our morning flight. Any particular suggestions for a hotel with a shuttle near the airport? Also, are there any interesting/delicious independent restaurants nearby, either walking or a short Uber trip?
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 11:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you trying to stay in the city? Or near the airport? Maybe you know this already, but the Portland airport is out on 84 (and/or the 205 by-pass). It's a ways outside central downtown Portland as far as hotels or restaurants.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 11:11 AM

Check out Travel Portland website- many suggestions. Last time I stayed at airport I stayed at Aloft Hotel. It has a shuttle and is in Cascade Station which is a shopping mall. We ate at a really good BBQ restaurant but their are other choices. There are many stores including IKEA. And there is a light rail station if you want to go downtown. You can also catch light rail at the airport.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My preference would be to stay near the airport AND have access to good food, I know that's not always possible.. Sunbum, thanks, I will check out Aloft. With an early flight and older bodies, we need to make this as easy as possible. We'll be on the coast for a week, from Cannon Beach to Newport, so if you have any dining recommendations, let me know. Thanks again to both of you.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 01:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I was in Newport recently, stayed at the Sylvia Beach Hotel, great fun for book-lovers or anyone with a taste for quirky places. They also have a restaurant which serves a prix fixe dinner menu in their Table of Content Restaurant. It's all here: Sylvia Beach Hotel ? Call Us Today 541-265-5428

Down the street is where we ended up eating at the recommended Pacific Kitchen at Nye Beach. A varied menu but I had craving for a burger & theirs was one the best I'd ever had, huge. Pacific Kitchen at Nye Beach - Ocean View Dining in the Heart of Newport
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 02:38 PM

In Newport, the Clearwater Restaurant is a nice place to eat. Its on the bay, has a nice deck for sunny days and views of the fishing boats as they come and go. Its on the dock where sea lions like to come and sleep in the sun- fun to watch.
Local Ocean is another good restaurant- fresh seafood. It is across the street from the bay.
In the Nye Beach area the dinner at Sylvia Beach Hotel is very nice. You sit at tables of 6 I believe but that may have changed since Covid and they like you to play an interactive game- Two Truths and a Lie- not everyone's cup of tea. Again, may have changed since Covid. You would need a reservation I believe.
Also Nye Beach area- we frequently eat at Nana's Irish Pub. They have an outside dining area- no ocean views though.
Do not eat at Mo's unless you just want chowder and even if you want chowder, you can do better.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 03:04 PM

Yes, the airport is on 205, not 84, and Cascade Station has really grown up the last few years. Lots of dining options and places to stay.

For Cannon Beach, I am unsure if you have reservations for lodging yet, but The Surfsand has been out go to for decades. It is a wonderful hotel and right own the water and just a short walk to the heart of downtown. The Lazy Susan is the best place for breakfast, IME, and is cash only. The Wayfarer is the restaurant that belongs to the Surfsand and it is very good for any meal, and it looks right out to the water. Another place in town that I really like is Public Coast Brewery. No views, but good food and beer.

In Newport, I too really like Local Ocean. A few other good places are Fishtails Cafe and South Beach Fish Market, both in the south beach area. There is also the restaurant at Rogue in the south beach area.

Sunbum is spot in with Mo's. Avoid it.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 07:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
KInd of a fun stop on your way to Newport, the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Here's my report, up today:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/roa...cheese-factory

Old Jan 19th, 2022, 08:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
When we flew in to PDX in the evening we stayed at the Ramada by Wyndham where we had parked our car for 10 days while we went to Hawaii. Shari's is a fair breakfast restaurant nearby (24 hours).
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 09:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
sweet annie, Thanks for clarifying. Sorry can't help more, only know that airport from driving by.

{the airport is on 205, not 84}

If they wanted to stay in a hotel at PDX but eat in downtown Portland isn't 84 the route they would use for that?
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 10:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by suze
sweet annie, Thanks for clarifying. Sorry can't help more, only know that airport from driving by.

{the airport is on 205, not 84}

If they wanted to stay in a hotel at PDX but eat in downtown Portland isn't 84 the route they would use for that?
The way that I get from downtown Portland to the airport driving is to use Sandy Blvd. out past the Grotto. After picking up our car in the morning, we ate breakfast at Elmer's east of 205.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 06:38 AM

Having flown out of PDX numerous times over a period of time while my daughter attended college in McMinnville and then lived in Portland for a couple years afterwards before moving, I've found the Cascade Station area most convenient to stay for access to restaurants, downtown and the airport without having a car.

I've stayed at both the Aloft and Hyatt Place which are pretty much next to each other - both are pleasant. Both hotels offer a shuttle to the airport.

The strip mall across the street has several restaurants - as mentioned earlier, Dave's Famous BBQ is pretty good. The stores are good for a wander if you need to kill a few hours, or the light rail station is about a 3 minute walk away if you want to go to downtown, it's about a 40 minute trip.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 10:38 AM

The airport is on 205 but if you are going downtown from airport you could take 205, then 84 E and then I-5. . So depends on how you want to do it.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 10:58 AM

Oops- I mean 84 W.