Train from Frankfurt Airport to Berlin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying into Frankfurt from NYC in late November. We would like to take a fast ICE train to Berlin. There seems to be a number of possibilities, with 4-hour to 8 or 9 hour trains. Also, what is the difference between Standard and First Class travel? If our flight gets in at 8:50 am, when is the earliest train to take to allow time for customs and getting to the train? We had to cancel this trip for two years, so we are looking forward to this trip actually happening. We check in to a hotel in Berlin for a land portion of a Viking cruise. Thank you in advance
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 01:24 PM

I usually book t the fastest train that works for my schedule with the fewest connections. Looks like most departures are in the 4 hour range with one change - with a few departures with no change.

The difference between 2nd and First Class is basically space and comfort of the seats and food and drink service.

There's a pretty good description with photos on the Man in Seat 61 site:
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/ice.htm

From the site:Should you go 1st or 2nd class?

2nd class is very comfortable and perfectly adequate. But if you get a good price, 1st class gives you more legroom and elbow room and usually a quieter environment, with more business laptops tapping and fewer kids. The only real difference is the seating quality, see the photos on this page, but in first class food & drink orders are taken by a steward at your seat so you don't have to go to the bistro car yourself, a useful service, and there are also first class lounges at major German stations with complimentary refreshments. In 1st class seats are arranged 2+1 across the car width, so you'll find tables for two and solo seats as well as tables for four and dual side-by-side seats as in 2nd class. For couples a first class table for two is ideal, when booking at www.bahn.de simply select 'table' (tisch in German).

For which train to book - if you aren't really on a budget, you can just buy tickets when you arrive and take the next available train. That kind of flexibility comes with a price though - looks like these fully flexible tickets are about 138 euro each for standard class, first class is 234 euro.. But if you buy ahead, you can save quite a bit of money. Right now I am seeing Savings Fares from 18 euro, which is really great. The downside oft the Savings Fares is that they are only good for the departure you book and are non-refundable. If you want to purchase tickets in advance, I would probably plan 3 hours between landing and the train departure. If you end up with extra time, you can get some breakfast to eat at the station or something to take on the train for lunch.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd fly from Frankfurt to Berlin. Lufthansa. 70 minutes. Under $100 before luggage fees.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 08:47 PM

Take the Ice train.

Berlin airport is huge. It takes a while to pick up the luggage. The train journey to the city centre takes at least 60 mins, taking into account the time to get to platform and wait.

You also don't have to worry about luggage allowance.

Needless to say, the carbon footprint of rail journey is much less than a flight.

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 10:13 PM

Hi Airedaleamiga,

Talk to your airline about Rail & Fly. That will give you the best of both worlds -- a good fare, and flexibility. Here's some info

Rail&Fly - the train to your plane

Many airlines offer their customers the “Rail&Fly” option. Please, therefore, ask about “Rail&Fly” upon booking your next flight if you are interested. With Rail&Fly you can travel comfortably by train from one of over 5,600 DB stations to the airport (and back again). It is a perfect opportunity to save parking- and airport shuttle fees.

Many tour operators offer “Rail&Fly” as well. If you would like to or have booked with tour operator, please contact them directly. Please note that this website is only intended for customers who booked their “Rail&Fly” option in combination with an international flight ticket issued by an airline.

How to get your Rail&Fly ticket

1. Booking
    Book "Rail&Fly" with your travel agency or via the airline’s website together with your flight.
  2. Check-in
    Check in for your train ride (see info box below for more information).
  3. Download your ticket
    Download your Rail&Fly ticket directly. In addition, the ticket will also be sent by e-mail to the e-mail address you provided.

Here's the website

https://www.bahn.de/service/buchung/...nd-fly-english

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your recommendations and explanations. The video of the ICE train was really fun to see.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 04:37 PM
J62

Originally Posted by Airedaleamiga
Thank you, everyone, for your recommendations and explanations. The video of the ICE train was really fun to see.
what airline are you flying into FRA? If it is UA or Lufthansa you can add on the FRA to BER flight and check your bags all the way through to BER. You’d only pass through customs upon arrival at BER and you wouldn’t achlep your bags before that.

And comparing carbon footprint of train vs flying, after a transatlantic flight is a silly comparison.

I’d fly…
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 10:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by J62
what airline are you flying into FRA? If it is UA or Lufthansa you can add on the FRA to BER flight and check your bags all the way through to BER. You’d only pass through customs upon arrival at BER and you wouldn’t achlep your bags before that.

And comparing carbon footprint of train vs flying, after a transatlantic flight is a silly comparison.

I’d fly…
I'd 100% fly -- even IF I couldn't combine the two legs.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 05:43 AM

Hi, just wanted to say that although we've traveled second class with zero problems, because of COVID we're traveling first class when we go to Europe, just because it will be less crowded.

I surprised my husband, a few years ago, with first-class train tickets for another trip, and WOW was he ever impressed. Hoping for a similar reaction this time.

Also, the Berlin Hauptbahnhof is amaaaazing. We went there just to experience it - no train trip scheduled (then).