will I regret skipping Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our first European trip with our kids for the month of June 2022 (ages ranging from 9 to 16). We know that we definitely want to hit Paris, a week in Provence/Languedoc, Florence, Rome. My youngest two are obsessed with Pompeii since we saw the exhibit at the Canadian Museum of Culture a few years ago so that is a must-do as well as climbing Vesuvius. Most itineraries for three or more weeks in Italy include a couple days Cinque Terre but is it really necessary? Since we are spending a few days around Naples would it make more sense to do one of the islands in the bay of Naples or a few days in Puglia?
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 09:19 PM

You just can't do everything, even with a month's time. I think. you can skip the Cinque Terre this visit. You already have plenty on your list.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 10:28 PM

I agree that you can't see everything. If you are already planning to visit the Naples area, then I'd just add some more time there. I think adding Puglia would make your holiday insanely busy. You are already covering an awful lot of ground. Assuming you have approx. two weeks in France, that leaves 2.5 weeks in Italy. There is just so much to see in both countries that you'll need to be selective and in my view, you could easily skip the Cinque Terre.

Alternatively, you could travel along the French and Italian coast from Provence to Florence, stopping enroute along the way and skip the Naples and Amalfi coast area. I know that some people visit Pompeii in a long day trip from Rome so that might be a possibility.

Last edited by dreamon; Sep 12th, 2021 at 10:34 PM.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 11:02 PM

I'm in the camp you already have a full schedule and won't miss it.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cinque Terre is great but not necessary at all. If you haven't already, write down a day by day rough itinerary, to work out what is actually possible. Allow one full day each time you move on, either by train or plane. It sounds like you are cramming a lot in. Will you have two weeks in each country? With two weeks you could see Rome, Florence and maybe stay on the Amalfi Coast. There is a train from Sorrento to Pompeii which makes it an easy day trip. Buses from Sorrento to Positano, Amalfi etc.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 06:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Cinque Terre and the hiking topped everything in Italy for myself and my three friends. I would drop something else.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 07:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whether you include the CT or not depends on what you and your family enjoy more/most. The CT towns can be charming, but they can also be overwhelmed with tourists in summer. If hiking is your thing, make sure you know which trails are open after the coming winter. If you do go, don't just make it a one- or two-night stay.

https://www.cinqueterre5.com/en/cinque-terre-trails

You haven't said how you're traveling around. A month sounds like a lot of time until you see what's lost in transits. I echo KayF's suggestion of plotting out the itinerary day by day, including all transit details. If you were thinking of renting a car in France and dropping it in Italy, investigate the one-way surcharge and/or the option of leasing a car. The surcharge can be fairly steep.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 11:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Save the CT for when you focus your trip on Northern Italy: Liguria, Piemonte, Italian Lakes, Bologna , Dolomites, Venice etc .
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 12:28 PM

You can hike along the Amalfi Coast
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 12:36 PM

Not necessary.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 05:23 PM

Can you do a day or overnight in Cinque Terre? My sons were ages 16 and 18 when we spent a day there (not overnight) and it was our fondest memory of our European trip.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 10:11 PM

We did two trips to Europe with our kids while they were young. I think your gut is telling you to trim the things they aren't interested in. You will have a chance to travel with your spouse later when your kids are gone.

Since your younger two kids are excited to do Pompeii, definitely do that. And maybe some of the other things close to Pompeii that are related. I also suggest that you add Ostia Antica, a ruined city 40 minutes outside Rome that is also phenomenal and far less crowded than Pompeii. We found the Rick Steves Rome book to have the best guide as there was little information about the ruins the first time we walked through.

I know a car is more efficient with your large group. But you might actually check out the costs of a high-speed train between France and Italy. Our kids loved taking the train. That was almost as fun as anything we saw.

Finally it sounds like you're also a larger family. We are a family of five. Since you have some cities in your itinerary, I would think about the teens splitting off for a day, or perhaps going with one parent while the other take the younger ones and do different, age-appropriate things. Try to get their interests included. That may mean suggesting three places and they choose... but meandering neighborhoods and comparing gelati might be what they like best.

Old Sep 14th, 2021, 05:27 AM

Fascinating area but during covid I would skip because towns and paths are very tight.
Next time.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 12:30 PM

Anyone interested in Pompeii would also love Herculaneum and the Archeological Museum in Naples. That's two days, one for Pompeii and a couple hours for Herculaneum, and one for Naples.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 12:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Bravo Roberta, I swear I posted last night. I have a feeling many here don't hike. The vineyards and lemon groves we hiked past looking down on the sea were wonderful. Take two bottles of water. You can stay nearby and take the train or the ferry, they both stop at each village.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 01:21 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that the Cinque Terre are not attractive and a great destination - I too loved my day hiking along the coast - just that choices need to be made when time is limited. If the Naples area is a must see for the OP, then it makes sense to prioritise that. However, they may well be passing the Cinque Terre anyway if coming from Provence in which case a short stay may be possible. There are many other beautiful places to visit, though, along the Ligurian coast. The Cinque Terre attract far more visitors than they can really handle.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
Anyone interested in Pompeii would also love Herculaneum and the Archeological Museum in Naples. That's two days, one for Pompeii and a couple hours for Herculaneum, and one for Naples.
Wholeheartedly agree with this! Also, there are plenty of places to hike on the AC and great views everywhere. A trip to Capri would be fun too.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:16 AM

The "problem" with Europe is there are so many wonderful choices. I would narrow this trip to your "5 star attractions." In other words, what you think the top priorities are for your family. Hopefully, this trip will be the beginning for many more to come.

My husband and I finally visited the Cinque Terre after many trips to Italy. We greatly enjoyed it but it wasn't the highlight for us that other places have been. Our son, however, would put the Cinque Terre much higher on his "must do" list. He is much more of a hiker wanting to be out in nature than we are and we enjoy museums and visiting cities more than he does.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Fodors Moderator

Originally Posted by Macross
Bravo Roberta, I swear I posted last night. I have a feeling many here don't hike. The vineyards and lemon groves we hiked past looking down on the sea were wonderful. Take two bottles of water. You can stay nearby and take the train or the ferry, they both stop at each village.
No posts have been deleted.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 02:15 PM

I'm a hiker and have hiked in several regions of Italy. CT is very good for hiking, but then again so is the Amalfi Coast (stunning, in fact).

In any case, other than mentioning that they plan to climb Vesuvius, do we know that hiking is a special interest to the OP and family?

OP, if the kids are fascinated by Pompeii, I suggest that you make an effort to visit the national archaeological museum in Naples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -