Search

Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2021, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche in Paris?

Hi
I’m planning to come to Paris by late august for my honeymoon. I booked in Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche for 6 days with free cancellation. Does anyone know about this hotel? I want some honest reviews. Booking and TripAdvisor both give a high rating for the property but I don’t want to rely solely on them. I’d appreciate your advice.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Sorry there seems to be two Henry hotels, the one I book at is not River Gauche but the Residence Henri IV. Anyone knows about his hotel?
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 04:28 AM

It has been a few years, but, my family stayed there three times on three separate trips. The hotel is on a small street, so it feels private, quiet. The decor is very pretty and the location in the 5th is central.....great bakery close by, small park outside the door, Metro close by.............they would stay there again.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 04:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The location is ok, I always look for metro close by. A little stodgy looking for me. I am a minimalist, more fluff means more dust. 6 nights would get you a great apartment. Just look for a registration number. But to answer the question and not my opinion I have never stayed there. You have two unis close by so lots of young people. A honeymoon in Paris is a great choice
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

I’m having second thoughts, I think I prefer to stay at series hotels such as Le Meridien Etoile. It charges the same price as Henry IV but much better rooms and more modern. Yes it’s not in the center, but it’s only 15 minutes by metro from most attractions, and it’s close to Champs-Élysées. What do you think?
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hotel Residence Henri IV has a great location for a tourist stay. You can walk to numerous restaurants, the Metro, and several important tourist sites. There are numerous normal shops and a pharmacy nearby, a real neighborhood, not a business district. A hotel that is "15 minutes by Metro" from your desired sites is more than 15 minutes, as you need to walk to the Metro and wait for a train. In addition, if you want to make a quick stop at your room during the day, that's an hour wasted round trip with associated waits and walks. I seriously considered it for our last trip to Paris but decided on the much more modern Hotel Atmospheres, a few blocks away, but its website indicates it is closed.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
Hotel Residence Henri IV has a great location for a tourist stay. You can walk to numerous restaurants, the Metro, and several important tourist sites. There are numerous normal shops and a pharmacy nearby, a real neighborhood, not a business district. A hotel that is "15 minutes by Metro" from your desired sites is more than 15 minutes, as you need to walk to the Metro and wait for a train. In addition, if you want to make a quick stop at your room during the day, that's an hour wasted round trip with associated waits and walks. I seriously considered it for our last trip to Paris but decided on the much more modern Hotel Atmospheres, a few blocks away, but its website indicates it is closed.
Thanks for your insightful reply. I’m really hesitant now which hotel I should pick. I mean Residence Henry IV is at a great location, but I’m thinking this is a honeymoon and maybe the room should be nicer than this. I will have a hard time deciding 🙂.

Please If you have any other hotel suggestions, I’m open to hear them. My budget is 150-200 euros per night
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what you find lacking in the rooms at this hotel. This is my kind of place... small, boutique-y, charming decor, great central location. As long as reviews are positive, I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

I find most of the larger chain hotels fairly impersonal and way too big for me. Decor often feels chain/corporate and looks like you could be anywhere rather than representative of where you are. A Marriott is a Marriott is a Marriott, if you know what I mean. Le Meridian (Marriott) Etoile is adjacent to the convention center, so its target market is conventioneers and not honeymooners.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
I don't know what you find lacking in the rooms at this hotel. This is my kind of place... small, boutique-y, charming decor, great central location. As long as reviews are positive, I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

I find most of the larger chain hotels fairly impersonal and way too big for me. Decor often feels chain/corporate and looks like you could be anywhere rather than representative of where you are. A Marriott is a Marriott is a Marriott, if you know what I mean. Le Meridian (Marriott) Etoile is adjacent to the convention center, so its target market is conventioneers and not honeymooners.
Thank you Jean for your reply.

Maybe because I only stayed in chain hotels in my travels, I don’t know if I’ll like the boutique hotels. I currently have the two hotels booked just in case. From your experience, do you think the Residence Henry IV is suitable? Or maybe you have a better recommendation?
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 08:11 AM

If it were me, it's a no-brainer. I think Residence Henry IV looks like a charming place in a FAR better location than Le Meridien Etoile. I much prefer the small, boutique-style hotel over the less intimate chain hotels. And the location of the Meridien is just not that convenient.

I love the area close to Jardin du Luxembourg and have stayed in an Airbnb (with license) in that area. There's a lovely hotel, Hotel L'Abbaye, but it is much pricier than Residence Henry IV. For the money and the location the Residence would be a lovely place to stay on a honeymoon. I wouldn't care for the Meridien.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's think, stay in a branch of Marriot or a boutique hotel in Paris?

I struggle to think staying in the Marriot is a likely choice.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People don't get married in business attire. You wear special clothes, perhaps a one time dress up. Honeymoons should not be in a business "attire" hotel either. You both will remember the Henri IV. No one remembers a chain hotel. And if you tell Henri IV it's your honeymoon, expect special treatment.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insightful replies.

So I guess everyone think it’s a no brainer that the boutique is a he obvious choice, I think you’ve changed my mind and I’ll go with it.

brogol suggested Hôtel de l'Abbaye Saint Germain, I looked at it and it’s really amazing. It seems exactly what I’m looking for, cute rooms and nice garden with a beautiful view from the room. However, it’s about 500 euros more for the whole stay compared to Residence Henry IV.

I’m considering booking it but do you think it’s worth the extra 500?

Thanks again for your great help.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 09:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I am one of those people who tends to prefer chain hotels in many circumstances, because I like modern plumbing, air conditioning and heating that works, new mattresses and bedding, double glazed windows, a nice modern television with a large choice of channels, a buffet breakfast worthy of the name.... and quite a few other things regarding amenities and staff competence. Yes, some boutique hotels fit the criteria but it's rather hit and miss.

As for hotels in Paris, I don't have the slightest idea since I have lived here for 48 years. I've seen lots of friends' hotel rooms and was very rarely impressed, either in modern places or boutique hotels. One place that impressed me was the Westin Paris Vendôme, but that's kind of normal considering the rates and the fact that it was a "junior suite."
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 09:23 AM

It's been many years since we stayed in this hotel, but looking at the website it looks even nicer now. It's called Le Notre Dam Hotel and faces the Seine and the cathedral. Link below, looks to be in your price range but I notice there's a warning they are receiving when I first pull up the website but then it seems you can book them. Check it out.

https://hotelnotredameparis.com/
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 10:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure I could bear staying in a hotel with 'unparalleled views of Notre Dame Cathedral' just now (even if they are taking bookings). It would just be too sad for me with all the scaffolding/damage. I'd want to walk by maybe once to see how things are progressing, but I'd hate for a constant reminder of the fire every day.

YMMV
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 10:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I kind of agree, janis. It is the most depressing sight in Paris.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
I'm not sure I could bear staying in a hotel with 'unparalleled views of Notre Dame Cathedral' just now (even if they are taking bookings). It would just be too sad for me with all the scaffolding/damage. I'd want to walk by maybe once to see how things are progressing, but I'd hate for a constant reminder of the fire every day.

YMMV
Originally Posted by kerouac
I kind of agree, janis. It is the most depressing sight in Paris.
Okay, so I might have forgotten that little detail. No wonder the prices were so reasonable. We used to have lots of Paris hotel threads on this site...

Here's another place we stayed a few years ago by l'Arc de Triomphe:
https://www.regencia.com/en/

Last edited by Trophywife007; Aug 5th, 2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Add Link
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 01:51 PM

We stayed at the Residence Henri several years ago and loved it. We had a top floor room with a tiny balcony, overlooking the neighboring park. The view out the bathroom was over the rooftops. I think it would be lovely.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 02:02 PM

If you’re concerned about location, how about the Hotel Brittanique? It’s on a quieter street right off the Chatelet Metro stop - you cannot get any more “central” than that. We stayed there in the smallest room (which I would not recommend, I’d upgrade to a larger one). It’s a very nice, classic boutique hotel.

whatever you decide, I would book fast - sounds like you’re almost ready to leave.

https://www.hotel-britannique.fr/en/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -