Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Europe from USA - Layover Restrictions???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2021, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I am looking to book a flight from the US to Croatia with the country opening up.

However I have concerns with layovers in other countries where travel is more restricted. Has anyone had experience yet trying to travel to Europe with 1-2 layovers in more closed off countries?

My biggest fear in booking is even though my final destination is Croatia, I won't be let on the flight because of a layover in Germany for example. (all of the layovers I'm looking at are max ~3 hours)

Thank you!!
Old May 10th, 2021, 05:54 AM

You can do one layover through Schengen countries en route. You cannot leave the airport. And most airlines are requiring a negative test I believe. If you are traveling between July and early October, there are some nonstops (Delta and United) to Dubrovnik from Newark and JFK, which will eliminate the need for a Schengen layover..
Old May 10th, 2021, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm looking at a flight from NYC with a layover in Barcelona. This would be a self transfer in Barcelona. If I have the negative covid test would I be ok with that layover? It would only be a 2 hour layover.
Old May 10th, 2021, 06:27 AM

I’ve been told that as long as you remain airside, it is not a problem. I’m flying to Croatia and back in the fall. We are both vaccinated so don’t need a covid test for entering Croatia. On return, we will need one to return to the US (at least, as of now).
Old May 10th, 2021, 06:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The above comments are not entirely correct. There is no one answer. Every country has different rules about travelers connecting en route elsewhere - not all EU or Schengen countries have the same requirements about who can transit, whether airside transfers are OK, etc. And the UK is different yet. There is one website that all airlines use to determine if you can board a flight based on your country of residence, where you have been in the last 14 days, which types of tests are required and when. Rules are very specific depending on your details. I would suggest you register on FlyerTalk and ask there. There are really helpful members there who will look up on Timatic to check where you should or can transit. In your post on FlyerTalk you'll need to include more info like where you live, whether you've been vaccinated etc.
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:04 AM

Janis, they are correct for Croatia.

Katy Ann, is it two separate tickets you are flying on, or one? If it is two, that would worry me. Make sure to have your Enter Croatia form and proof of prepaid lodging. Bring all paperwork to the airport because you need to be a advocate for yourself as the check in agent may not know the entry requirements like you will.
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

It would be 2 tickets:

Air France:
DC --> JFK
JFK --> Barcelona

Layover in Barcelona would only be 2 hours with a self transfer

Vueling:
Barcelona --> Croatia

I can definitely have the other 2 forms ready at hand!

Note I am also not vaccinated but would have the negative covid test results before departure.
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rialtogrl
Janis, they are correct for Croatia.
Yes, I know that. Croatia isn't an issue.

It is the country(s) in between where one needs to know precisely the rules. I've read maybe 4 or 5 times a week on FT panicked threads by people who were denied boarding asking what to do know. They were eligible to travel to their final destination but were not allowed in the transit country en route. And there is no recourse when one is denied boarding because its the traveler's responsibility to know/meet the requirements.

All I'm saying is even if Croatia allows American in (and it does) there are other issues potential problems . . .
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:29 AM

Ok that would worry me.. because you are talking about two different tickets now. And though I like Vueling in normal days, in Covid days they are not reliable.

when are you traveling?
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

I would be traveling Mid June!

Another flight option I found was all through Lufthansa with no self transfer

DC --> Munich
Munich --> Croatia

Just $600 more expensive which was hoping to save some $$ with a cheaper flight
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will have checked this but Barcelona has three airports that sometimes get called Barcelona. El Prat de Llobregat, Girona and Reus. Which Croatia airport are you going to?
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona airport is El Prat!

Croatia flying into Split
Old May 10th, 2021, 08:59 AM

I would do the Lufthansa flight. You are absolutely allowed to transfer. Just make sure you have all your paperwork and the rules/details of entry to Croatia printed out.

the question mark for me, with those separate tickets, is - what if your Air France flight is delayed and you miss your Vueling flight? Or what if Vueling has a problem and you cannot leave airside? I even worried about stuff like that before Covid, though.

Maybe by mid June things will be a bit more relaxed, who knows.

Old May 10th, 2021, 09:24 AM

Ahh, do not do the self-transfer! Then you will likely need to deal with the rules of the country you are transiting through! Get tickets that are scheduled from the US to Croatia with a layover. Otherwise, it could be problematic.
Old May 10th, 2021, 09:30 AM

Transiting is quite complicated at the moment (and that is even on a single ticket same airline transfer, I would not attempt self transfer) especially if you are starting in the US, the rules need to be read very carefully. Some countries need a COVID test even if you are not leaving the airport, others need some sort of pre approval which you get by completing a form and getting a QR code, lots of variations.

For information on transiting in Spain, here is the official website,looks as if the health form does not have to be completed by transit passengers who stay airside and are in transit for max of 24 hrs. I don't know if you need a COVID test, you need to find that out and whether travellers from the US will be allowed to transit in Spain.

https://www.spth.gob.es/faq?tab=1

You can read the rules about transiting through Germany here:-

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...97140bodyText3

Once you have figured out if you are allowed to transit or not, you then need to find out if you need a COVID test and if yes, which ones and what are the time scales for taking them (eg Denmark max 24hrs before travel antigen is ok, AMS needed a LAMP test max 48 hrs, Sweden needed something else so I had go by the most restrictive country and make sure the COVID test complied with all countries) and check what documentation you need eg health questionnaires etc as some need to be completed, submitted and you get a code. I'm not saying this is the case for Spain and Germany, I'm saying they are things to check if they are needed. Another thing that I am finding difficult sometimes is the test result certificate, some countries need more info than others and test providers tend to only provide a one size fits all certificate and are not flexible with adding additional info.

Last edited by balthy; May 10th, 2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old May 10th, 2021, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And then there's the option to delay the trip for a couple of months when flying between countries will hopefully! be less encumbered with Covid rules.
Old May 11th, 2021, 01:17 AM

This new airline is supposedly starting to fly Newark - Dubrovnik June 21. Tickets go on sale May 24. You would then have to get from Dubrovnik to Split and back, but the catamarans start running that route May 15! https://www.pragusa.one/
Old May 11th, 2021, 01:22 AM

A direct flight would be perfect as transiting thru Schengen for a US citizen/resident could be an issue.
Old May 11th, 2021, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by balthy
A direct flight would be perfect as transiting thru Schengen for a US citizen/resident could be an issue.
going through Germany with one stop is allowed, but I agree direct from US is going to be fantastic. That is probably why THREE airlines are doing it this summer!