Coastal Maine in April

Search

Coastal Maine in April

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coastal Maine in April

Going to Maine in mid April. We know we are a little early for tourists season but looking for places that will be open that serve lobster and best places to spot whales from the shoreline.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Whale-watch tour boat is the way to see whales but with binoculars and a good deal of patience you might spot some off Cape Neddick, York Cliffs, Nubble Lighthouse area.

I think that the ViewPoint Hotel is open in April and it sounds like a great place to stay.

The lobster shacks/ shore restaurants will for the most part not be open yet but you will find lobster available on menus in nearby Ogunquit and Kennebunkport.

Try to find "cancellable" accomodations as weather can be all over the map mid-April, 2nd week of April brought 6 inches of snow last year.

Old Apr 4th, 2021, 01:34 PM

I haven't been in April but I often go to coastal Maine in October and still find places to get lobster. Lots of the roadside lobster shacks are only open Memorial Day to Labor Day or Columbus day, but even after Columbus Day (so presumably the same in April) there were some (especially on weekends) and in towns you will find restaurants that serve lobster rolls.

I'm not sure there is ever any place that you can reliably spot whales from the shore in Maine.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 02:20 AM

You'll find plenty open south of Portland. Friends have already been driving to beaches in southern Maine just to get outside. Although the shore front lobster shacks probably won't be open yet there are plenty of casual family places for lobster. In Brunswick ME we like Cameron's lobster house. If the place depends on outdoor seating, they might not open until mid-May such as Claw's in Rockland. Bite Into ME food truck doesn't start visiting Fort Williams park until May 1 but you can visit their commissary in Scarborough.for take out lobster rolls. There are great views of Casco Bay from Fort Williams Park and also from the Eastern Promenade.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you

Staying at Samoset and day tripping out of there we will head out in a different direction everyday and hope we catch some areas trying to open back up in pockets
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 04:03 AM

A friend and her husband used to stay at the Samoset and loved it. We actually almost missed Rockport but on one visit made an effort to go there. There's a lovely park and marina. We happened to be there same time as a youth sailing class was being held so it was fun to watch them and watch the moms in motorboats tending them. There's a very good deli/bakery in town. Check daily newspapers and sign boards at churches and other public buildings for a chance to go to a lobster supper. One time we discovered a benefit held outdoors for a loca fire department. Lobster plus choice of crab or mussels. You could buy an additional lobster if you wanted. This was probably in June. Public suppers probably won't start up early this year because of covid but you might find one that is doing a unique drive thru take-out deal.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 05:54 AM

There is a lot to see but it is highly unlikely you will see any whale activity from anywhere on shore. Things will be opening up and you won't have trouble finding lobster, although probably not at little roadside places. Portland is a great city to explore and it has fabulous restaurants and a nice waterfront park to walk
It's big state with over 3,000 miles of coastline if you count all the little inlets and bays, so there is lots of natural beauty to be found. Bring warm clothes and jackets. Temps will range from mid 30's to 60's. That's a New England spring!