Search

Iceland anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Iceland anyone?

Just last week I asked my other half if he'd be interested in giving Iceland another go. We visited in May of 2017 and left feeling a bit ambivalent due to the high prices, high volume of tourists and strained/lacking infrastructure in heavily visited areas. But, we missed a lot and figure it might be worth a second chance.

And then today I received this e-mail. Awfully tempting. Any takers here?

Iceland borders open to vaccinated travelers!

Beginning today, all travelers are welcome to Iceland with a valid certificate of full vaccination against COVID, or a certificate showing previous COVID infection. This includes travelers from non-Schengen countries, including USA and Canada.

Please note: Travel from Iceland to the rest of Europe is currently not permitted for non-Schengen residents.

03/16/2021 | 9:00 AM

Visiting Iceland

Last updated: March 17, 2021

We at Icelandair can't wait to welcome you back when you're ready. Before you book your ticket to Iceland, here's a snapshot of current travel restrictions and entry requirements.

We offer a friendly reminder to travelers that it is their responsibility to ensure they have the relevant documents and meet the entry requirements for their destination.

New rules: Iceland's border opens to all vaccinated and previously infected travelers

From March 18, 2021, all travelers - regardless of origin - are welcome to visit Iceland if they can show either:
This includes travelers from non-Schengen countries (including from UK, USA, Canada, Asia). Please note: Iceland is welcoming vaccinated visitors from outside the Schengen zone, but further travel from Iceland to the rest of Europe is currently not permitted for non-Schengen residents.

Read more in the Icelandic government announcement. Expect further details to be clarified in the coming days.

If you do not have proof of vaccination or of previous COVID infection, there are rules around eligibility to visit, plus rules for testing and quarantine upon arrival. All visitors holding passports (or valid residency) from EU/EFTA countries are welcome. See below for more details.

Entry requirements: COVID-19 tests and quarantine

If you hold proof of full vaccination or prior COVID infection, you are exempt from COVID testing rules and quarantine.

Other passengers require a negative PCR test before boarding an aircraft to Iceland, taken within 72 hours of departure. Note: the negative PCR test requirement is in addition to the requirement for arriving passengers to undergo double screening and 5-6 days quarantine between tests. More details are below.

Old Mar 19th, 2021, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds promising and I'd love to revisit to see more of Iceland, but for now, keeping my eye on recent seismic happenings there. This time the activity is very close to Reykjavik, especially near the airport in Keflavik, Grindavik and the Blue Lagoon.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/17/...nds-of-tremors
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

That's definitely discouraging MaineGG.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks, Melnq8 -- VERY interesting, especially since Iceland is on my bucket list.

If anyone can figure out if the purported "certificates" we get in California after each shot is valid for purposes of Iceland, please let us know. I looked at the certificate requirements in detail, and I think there's at least one part of the certificate I was given that does not comply. There is no "stamp" -- only what looks like a 3x5 index card with information as to the date of the vaccination, the type and batch number and really that's it. We had to fill in our name, DOB, etc.

It would be nice if CDC would print up an official looking certificate with a nice stamp on it, and you could submit your documentation to them and they give you the stamped certificate. If that's in the works, or something like that, please let me know.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

That's the $20K question, isn't it? What works as a certificate.

My card has the CDC emblem (wonder if that's the stamp they're referring to?), name, DOB, date, type of vaccine and lot #, and the hospital name where issued, all filled in by the hospital.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 02:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Not to be a Debby Downer, but the volcano is erupting...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN2BB2JZ
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 11:02 AM

Sounds pretty enticing. I've never been personally but I have some friends that went there on their honeymoon a few years ago and they raved about it and have been back twice since. It does sound like the geological concerns may be something to think about, but it sounds like it could be a great time under the right circumstances. Maybe after letting the quakes and volcanoes settle down a little!
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 01:01 PM

We went in 2015 and absolutely loved it. We had everything planned for a return trip last summer and of course that got scrapped. We rebooked most things for this summer in anticipation, but not flights as we were not that confident. When this statement came out a few days ago, we booked our flights! The volcano eruption does not concern me just yet as a friend who is living there said it is not affecting anything. Although out last night we are staying in Grindavik, so we shall see!
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 08:22 AM

We went in 2016 and loved it. 18 days was not enough and we'd go back in a second. Actually, I would love to see the volcano eruption in real life.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Well, that didn't last long.

https://www.icelandreview.com/news/c...t-at-midnight/
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 01:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
You might need to come back to Adelaide, Mel
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

I'd love to Adelaidean...just not during your summer
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 05:58 AM

Iceland Travel in 2021

Suggestions welcome, looking at a private one week tour, probably 2 couples in October.
Thoughts please, vs expedition cruise. Names of guides or tour operators or small cruise ships most helpful.
Thanks
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 12:22 PM

Unfortunately, bottom of my list of 68 countries visited. Mainly due to the same reasons as Melnq8 and it being a far more difficult place to explore off the beaten track than say Norway. Too many world tourists, swamping the few sites you are allowed to visit, in winter the rest of the country is out of bounds to anything but organised tours.

for us it was very over-rated.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

You and I tend to agree on this subject BC. I momentarily got excited at the prospect of visiting again thinking that maybe it would be different with fewer tourists due to the pandemic, but honestly, there are a gazillion other places I'd rather go.