Ultimate Souvenir/gift from Switzerland: Signature Lite Pocket Knife

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, one of the best souvenirs/gifts from Switzerland is the Signature Lite Swiss knife from Victorinox. A small keychain knife, its features include a LED flashlight/torch, a pen, a pair of scissors, a knife and a file. What makes this knife standout is its small size, durability and reliability in offering light, ink or a blade exactly during those moments when you don't have anything else on hand. Having it engraved with the recipient's name for a small mark-up makes it even more unique and special. I keep mine on my keychain for exactly those moments when I'm looking for something in my car at night, when I need a pen or when I have to quickly cut my nails.

Even the Swiss highly appreciate getting this as a gift!

https://www.victorinox.com/ch/en/Pro...-Lite/p/0.6226
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one of those, and a couple of others without the pen and light. I bought them from a US Air Force Base Exchange in England, though, not in Switzerland. I agree they would make a very nice gift, but aren’t they sold in the US?
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure they are but if you have time, you can go to the factory shop in Ibach where you can get a 10% discount and have names engraved for a few francs more. There's also a museum/shop in Brunnen that offers a film of Victorinox's history and the opportunity to make your own knife.
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 06:46 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 2-3 Victorinox knives in my desk drawer at the moment. I used to carry them in my bag, but stopped after 9/11. Didn't want to lose one if I forgot to remove it prior to travel. Anyone know if they're still forbidden by TSA?

Last edited by Melnq8; Jan 2nd, 2021 at 07:16 AM.
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 06:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 2-3 Victorinox knives in my desk drawer at the moment. I used to carry them in my bag, but stopped after 9/11. Didn't want to lose one if I forgot to remove it prior to travel. Anyone know if they're still forbidden by TSA?

Oops...there's an echo in here...can't delete

Last edited by Melnq8; Jan 2nd, 2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 10:01 AM

Thank you, kleeblatt! That would indeed make the knife special, and the museum/shop sounds interesting.

Melnq8, I always make sure my Victorinox knife is packed in my checked luggage before I leave for the airport. I habitually carry the small knife in my pocket, and it would be easy to forget. I remember reading that TSA started allowing small knives to be carried onboard again, but after reading your post checked and discovered the decision has since been rescinded. Thank you!
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Melnq8
They were as of a year or so ago. I always put my SAK in checked luggage, but for some reason my wife and I switched bags and my knife was in a carryon. They picked it up in the x-ray machine and I was offered the choice of losing it or having it mailed home, at some cost (about $25 if I remember correctly). Since the knife was a keepsake I paid to have it mailed home, and to my surprise it showed up about a month later.

Old Jan 4th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Heimdall
I have one of those, and a couple of others without the pen and light. I bought them from a US Air Force Base Exchange in England, though, not in Switzerland. I agree they would make a very nice gift, but aren’t they sold in the US?
My dog-owning friends prefer the model that comes with a tick remover.