Washington DC Safety

Search

Washington DC Safety

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2020, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC Safety

Is it safe to walk on 7th St between L'Enfant Plaza metro station and the National Gallery during mid-day?
Thanks.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Without question. Good grief.

If you're headed to the National Gallery, head north on 7th Street NW to Constitution Ave and turn right. The only current entrance into the NGA during covid at Constitution and 6th Street.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 06:02 PM

Is it open? I was under the impression that it was closed. My family and I (about 25 of us) are going to be in Washington DC for my father's funeral at Arlington NC on Sept. 29. Many want to visit sights and museums I thought were closed. Is there any new update?

By the way, in all my visits to DC I have never felt unsafe walking around. Even at night.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by BarbAnn
Is it open? I was under the impression that it was closed. My family and I (about 25 of us) are going to be in Washington DC for my father's funeral at Arlington NC on Sept. 29. Many want to visit sights and museums I thought were closed. Is there any new update?

By the way, in all my visits to DC I have never felt unsafe walking around. Even at night.
https://www.nga.gov/visit/reopening.html

Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 07:59 AM

About 2/3 of the ground floor of the east wing of the National Gallery is open for visiting with timed tickets as you've probably already seen via sf7307's link.

The Degas at the Opera exhibit is fantastic. Almost as good is the Plein Air painting exhibit next to Degas. Some of the sculpture galleries are open, the Kaufman furniture exhibit, and a couple of the ante rooms to the special showings are hosting some impressionist paintings from the NGA's collection.

The downstairs gift shop is open (though truncated) and the espresso bar is open with some food. The seating area is open.

This link is pretty up to date (as of 31 August) regarding what is open and closed in the DC area and whether or not you need timed tickets for entry. Hopefully you'll have excellent -- and cooler -- weather. My next outing will be to Mount Vernon, a place I haven't seen in many years.

https://washington.org/dc-informatio...on-information

As you can see, there is plenty to do although some of the most touristed things are still closed for now. The above link doesn't include Old Town Alexandria which is a lovely place to walk around. I believe the Torpedo Factory Art Center has reopened.

Personally, I have not returned to riding the metro nor I am eating in restaurants. There is plenty of fantastic take out food available everywhere, including Rasika.

Condolences on your father's passing. Did you have to wait very long for a date?
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 12:24 PM

obxgirl: Dad died in early January (95 years old). I called the day after he passed to get him on the list (with full honors). ANC called in mid June to give us a choice of dates in September.
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 07:37 AM

The Degas at the Opera exhibit is fantastic.
We saw that exhibit in Paris last fall. It is wonderful.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by BarbAnn
obxgirl: Dad died in early January (95 years old). I called the day after he passed to get him on the list (with full honors). ANC called in mid June to give us a choice of dates in September.
It is a dignified and very moving ceremony.

I only wish the process of securing the date was a lot shorter and a little more humanizing.