Annual Trek to Tahoe

Search

Annual Trek to Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2020, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Annual Trek to Tahoe

Each July, before our busy time, we do a week or two in the Lake Tahoe area. This year we are in Incline Village, Nevada. We have rented this same house for a number of years. Very small, but fine for the two of us and maybe weekend guests.

I will post later.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I envy you - you know I think of Lake Tahoe as heaven on earth. Have a great time.
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by MichelleY
Each July, before our busy time, we do a week or two in the Lake Tahoe area. This year we are in Incline Village, Nevada. We have rented this same house for a number of years. Very small, but fine for the two of us and maybe weekend guests.

I will post later.

I envy you - you know I think of Lake Tahoe as heaven on earth. Have a great time.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 03:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi MichelleY. My cousin and her family (DS, DIL, 3 young granddaughters) spent all of last week at Incline and had a great time - (they rent a condo near Raley's). The clubhouse had social distancing and limited capacity, but the beaches etc were almost as normal. Went over to Reno and Truckee a couple of the days.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

We were told that only property owners could use the Incline Beaches. We were not given access to them
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 05:44 PM

We were told that only property owners could use the Incline Beaches. We were not given access to them
They could probably use it because the condo's owner has privileges.

I assume Sand Harbor and Kings Beach are open??
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 05:45 PM

A friend who has a condo at Tahoe/Donner was up there this past weekend; she said she was dismayed by the crowds, the lack of social distancing. Hope where you are will be better.
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Preparations: As I posted above, the property owner had forwarded information a few weeks back that the Incline Beaches were limited to property owners, not renters. Idk, perhaps that was lifted and we weren’t informed, but that was fine with us. We really like Sand Harbor and had pretty much decided to not go out often. We are happy with enjoying the scenery, speaking, drinking wine, reading and catching up on shows. I brought along Band of Brothers for DH, and I started watching Call The Midwife on Netflix. I was hooked after the first episode.

We were also told that grocery stores were mobbed up there because Bay Area folks with second homes were working remotely from the Tahoe area. So, I did major shopping before leaving Sacramento. I don’t think this was necessary, at least not in Incline. Raley’s was never busy during the week.

When we arrived at the house, I wiped down EVERYTHING with Lysol wipes. We also brought our own pillows, sheets, mattress pad, towels, kitchen sponges, soap, shampoo. I inspected the dishes, flatware and thought they didn’t look completely clean, so I rewashed by hand. We later found that the dishwasher was not doing a good enough job, so we made sure to rinse REALLY well before throwing them in the dish washer.

Finally, we were settled in!
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 07:56 AM

We just did a similar trip, but here in WA. Brought all groceries from home and we just hung out at the cabin and the river. We brought Clorox wipes and Lysol, even though the property management company had a very thorough list of what they were doing for Covid cleaning. It was really nice to have the change of scenery and just relax.

I just want to add a suggestion for anyone doing any sort of road trip this summer, even if it is just a day drive. Keep masks in your vehicle, and easily accessible. Our son and his gf attempted to come home a day before the rest of us, but were in a very serious car accident. They walked away, miraculously, but the lady at fault went to the hospital. With it being a really serious accident, many people stopped to help and our son realized immediately that they needed their masks as everyone was super close to each other. Yes, most of these people are probably very careful and wearing masks while grocery shopping etc, but in a situation like this you don't think about it, and our son said he was very glad their masks were right in the console so he grabbed those right away. He said the only other people wearing masks were the emergency responders. I know I am adding disposable masks to our vehicle emergency kits today.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but just had to share this warning as I think it can help all of us. Something I know I didn't even think about.
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 09:25 AM

Excellent advice.
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 09:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Lucky you! Tahoe is so gorgeous. Can't get enough of watching that crystal clear water.
Our daughter invited us to spend a July week or two with them, at SIL's family compound there. We really, really wanted to go, but DH couldn't take off work at such short notice, so I would go myself.
But, I don't want to fly yet, and the drive is too long. I considered taking a private room on the train, as the safest way to go. But it's over 31 hours en route.
Most important, DD is pregnant (yay!!!) and I finally decided that was the stopping point. I sure don't want to bring the virus to her. So I didn't go. Broke my heart.

Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Preparations: As I posted above, the property owner had forwarded information a few weeks back that the Incline Beaches were limited to property owners, not renters. Idk, perhaps that was lifted and we weren’t informed, but that was fine with us. We really like Sand Harbor and had pretty much decided to not go out often. We are happy with enjoying the scenery, speaking, drinking wine, reading and catching up on shows. I brought along Band of area.
I don’t know how “speaking“ got in here I think I meant driving, although we enjoy our conversations on vacation.

Our first few days were spent hanging out at the house, going for walks, grilling, eating, sleeping. The weather was nice with thunderstorms pretty much every afternoon after 3 pm. We even had marble-sized hail one day. Crazy!

On that Wednesday, we went to Gardnerville, NV to visit some friends who moved there from Sacramento about 3 years ago. Their house is on the bench just below the Sierra Nevada, overlooking the Carson Valley. Spectacular setting. They love it and retirement. Our daughters went through school together, and even ended up going to the same college. We had lunch at The Pink House in Genoa. There was out door dining and indoors they had one table setup per room. We had a room to ourselves. I had a grilled peach and buratta. So good! The others had the Turkey Chipotle Club and Flat Bread.

THE PINK HOUSE

I
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 09:09 AM

. . .On that Wednesday, we went to Gardnerville, NV to visit some friends who moved there from Sacramento about 3 years ago. Their house is on the bench just below the Sierra Nevada, overlooking the Carson Valley. Spectacular setting. They love it and retirement. Our daughters went through school together, and even ended up going to the same college. We had lunch at The Pink House in Genoa.

I

​​​​​​​I LOVE that part of the valley -- my ex and I came this close [ ] to buying a horse property on Muller Lane between Minden and Genoa - not at all what most people think of 'Nevada' with the river, and the beautiful ranches, and the mountain views
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

SAND HARBOR
On our way back from Gardnerville, we decided to stop at Sand Harbor to get information. I read on Yelp that they were only letting in 50 cars each day with the park being at the limit by 9 am. We drove to the ranger check in and were told that, yes, only 50 cars are let in, gates open at 8 am and usually close by 9 am.

So the next morning, we got up at 6 am, made lunches, and packed up the Yukon. We arrived at Sand Harbor about 7:20, but one had to lineup coming from the south. The line of cars was over a mile long in the median turn lane, and we were not in the top 50. We got in line, with more cars getting behind us. After a bit, the Park Ranger came and told us and everyone behind us, to move to the side of the road. Most were considerate and stayed in line, but others drove ahead to the front, on the roadside. Then the Ranger came by again and said there was no parking and we had to move on. So we drove forward, on the shoulder, to the park entrance. Very frustrating and confusing as to where we should wait. So we left.

We went back to Incline, got some gas, and decided to take a day trip further into Nevada. I was disappointed by the Sand Harbor situation and decide to call the local tourist office. I was told Sand Harbor is doing 50%capacity and letting in 300 cars. Ugh! So much for Yelp and the kid at the ranger gate.

Last edited by MichelleY; Aug 4th, 2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
I LOVE that part of the valley -- my ex and I came this close [ ] to buying a horse property on Muller Lane between Minden and Genoa - not at all what most people think of 'Nevada' with the river, and the beautiful ranches, and the mountain views
We’ve drive through that area. It’s lovely.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by janisj View Post
I LOVE that part of the valley -- my ex and I came this close [ ] to buying a horse property on Muller Lane between Minden and Genoa - not at all what most people think of 'Nevada' with the river, and the beautiful ranches, and the mountain views

We’ve drive through that area. It’s lovely.

We love this area too. The pastures with cattle with the mountain back drop. Housing is encroaching, which is sad to me.

NEVADA DAY TRIP

We decide to skip Sand Harbor and take our lunches on a road trip. DH was interested in exploring some of the small towns within a few hours. First stop: Silver Springs, Nevada and Lahontan Reservoir. The main attraction is the reservoir so we checked it out and found a tree under which to have lunch. There was a sign posted saying not to eat the fish from this lake due to high mercury levels.😳 And the water had a mysterious green sheen. We could see the boats tossing up green water. 🤮

We headed south to check out Fort Churchill. Built in 1861, it pretty much fell into disuse by 1867. This was a nice stop and nice place to have a picnic. 🤷🏻‍♀️ The little museum was informative. Off to the west are the adobe ruins of the Fort. This was a stop on the Pony Express. We then headed toward the Carson River to check out the campgrounds. A lovely setting around the Cottonwood trees.

Fort Churchill State Historic Park | State Parks

We continued south on US 95, skirting Yerington, to Walker Lake and Hawthorne, Nevada. Walker Lake and Pyramid Lake are natural lakes and what is left of the ancient Lake Lahontan .
Ice Age Nevada and Lake Lahontan | ONE

Desolate, but beautiful desert. Hawthorne has an Army Ammunition Depot. Interesting. My husband pointed out where the underground storage entrances were. Acres and acres of ammo storage. We had want to visit the Ammunition museum, but it was closed due to Covid. Addressing COVID, I was impressed with measures take at various stops we made: clean restrooms and accommodating staff.

Hawthorne Ordnance Museum

We finished up our day going through Yerington, stopping to visit some friends in Smith Valley. This area, with the farming, cottonwood trees and eastern Sierra background is stunning.

We didn’t stop in Gardnerville for dinner, but a good place is JT Basque Bar and Dining Room. An old fashioned Basque hotel with Basque American food.

J.T. Basque Restaurant - Bar & Dining Room
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sf7307
Tahoe and Giants’ games! The best!
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

EATING, HANGING OUT, VIRGINIA CITY

Our daughter and her fiancé came up from the Bay Area in Thursday night. Their car broke down between Northstar and Kings Beach. AAA wait was 3 hours, so they had to leave the car and we picked them up. The car was towed to Truckee for repairs. It wouldn’t be ready until Monday, but the kids had their laptops for working from home.

The next day we all slept in. I dropped off the kids to Kings Beach about noon. It seemed pretty busy and the parking lot was full. When I picked them up about 5 pm, they said the Beach was not uncomfortably crowded and groups were keeping their distance.

The weekends were definitely more crowded and popular trails had tons of cars parked at the trailheads.

Old Aug 5th, 2020, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Ruins of Ft. Churchill, Nevada

Ft. Churchill State Historic Park picnic and campgrounds along the Carson River
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Reflection on Walker Lake

US 95

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -