Western France - A TR in Pictures

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I recently spent 7 weeks in western France in September – October, 2019. It was a great trip!

Not planning to do a full TR with travel details, hotel info, restaurant info, etc... but here is my trip in pictures.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...k1cFFHZUZRR0dR

The captions I've added to many of the pics do not display when scrolling down through the pics and can only be seen if you click on the pictures and then on the right arrow to scroll manually through the pictures. Not all pics have captions.

The first picture is a map of my where I spent hotel/apartment nights. It doesn't include day trips from those locations. But, most cities/towns/villages that I visited are noted on the first pic of that location or as a comment on the first pic.

Hotels/Apartment Locations:
Paris - 2 nights for jet lag recuperation and the Van Gogh exhibit before picking up a car
Caen - 2 nights
Bayeux - 3 nights
Mont St. Michele - 1 night
St. Malo - 3 nights
Dinan - 3 nights
Rennes - 2 nights
Vannes - 2 nights
La Rochelle - 3 nights
Cognac - 2 nights
Bordeaux - 5 nights
Bergerac - 2 nights
Perigeaux - 2 nights
Sarlat - 9 nights
Figeac - 2 nights
Cahors - 2 nights
Toulouse - 3 nights before flying home from there

Daytrips:
Caen Memorial Museum
Arromanches
American Cemetery
Omaha Beach
Utah Beach
St.Mere Eglise
Cancale
Alet
Dinard
Lehon
Fougeres
Vitre
Rochefort en Terre
Arcachon
St-Emilion
Brantome
Bourdeilles
Les Eyzies-de-Tayac
La Roque St Christophe
St Leon sur Vesere
Beynac et Cazanac
Marqueyssac - Château and gardens
Castlenaud
La Rogue Gageac
Domme
Cenac et St. Julien
Collonges-la-Rouge
Carennac
Martel
Lascaux Caves IV
Montignac
St. Genies
St. Cyprien
Le Bugue
Rocamadour
Autoire
Grotte du Pech Merle
St-Cirq-Lapopie

Hope you enjoy! Be forewarned, there are a lot of pictures!

Last edited by joannyc; Nov 18th, 2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How lovely! Your photos are beautiful! What a great trip. I have only done portions of this - I am saving your trip for future reference! Thank you!
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:12 PM
kja

Thanks so much for sharing, joannyc! As always, your lovely pictures bring back fond memories of places I've visited and inspire me to stop in other places on a future trip.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 05:20 PM

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome trip.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 07:35 PM

Joannyc, I love your photos and your itinerary! We have been to the Dordogne. We stayed in Sarlat for 4 nights and in Brantome for 2 nights, so I was happy to see that you visited Brantome. It's rarely mentioned on this forum. We thought it was wonderful, very pretty and quiet when we were there in May 2015. Sarlat, of course, was much busier. We haven't been to Normandy yet, but hopefully some day. Your photos of Normandy are beautiful and sad at the same time. Did you have some favorites? Were there any places you were disappointed in?
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 09:24 PM

What wonderful photos! But I have to ask - what was the blue Smart Car with Bretagne on the side being turned upside down for? I didn't understand that.

Lavandula
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 10:05 PM

Love it!

As far as I’m concerned you spent the best 7 weeks possible anywhere in the world.

No leaning towers or Grand Canyons just beauty on a small scale and the best food/wine in the world.

I think you may have a shot of what is widely regarded as the best terroir in the world. The small field that you’ve photographed in Saint Emilion looks like Chateau Ausone approaching the town from the South. Many park underneath it on the road and haven’t a clue of what they are walking past. It is legendary.

We love Cognac and the area surrounding, it’s much less visited than some areas.

La Rochelle currently ranks with Charleston, SC as my favourite place in the world. Regional, vibrant and proud of its food.

Thanks also for the pictures of Brantome, we will add it to our list for next summer.

If you are in the area again, visit the coastal villages between La Rochelle and Oleron then take the ferry over the Gironde to The Medlc and down to Cap Ferret. Incredible seafood experiences and stunning Chateaux.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Nov 18th, 2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 07:40 AM

Lovely, lovely photos. Thanks for sharing. Made my gloomy morning brighter.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 09:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The grey stones of Brittany have never done anything for me, but the moment the buildings have warmer tones, I am hooked.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 09:10 AM

What a fantastic adventure. We’ve been to a few of your sites but would definitely love to see all of them.
Enjoyed all of your photos.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 12:16 PM

It seemed to me that this was just about the right amount of photos, and looking through these was just what I needed today. Joannyc, you covered so much territory in 7 weeks. Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Forgot to mention that I love the photos of the unique carousels and the giant elephant!
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 06:48 AM

Elephant lovers definitely need to plan a trip to Nantes.

Old Nov 20th, 2019, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noice!

Thin,aristocrat 🐐
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Lovely photos, some of our favourite bits of France.
One thing - next time please straighten your horizons!
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 03:51 PM
kja

Originally Posted by hetismij2
One thing - next time please straighten your horizons!
I don't know -- I sorta' liked the sense of spontaneity those pics provided, and the evidence that joannyc isn't a professional photographer sharing her photos in the hope of inspiring a purchase, just someone sharing her delightful trip with us. JMO.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 11:30 PM

I'm not a professional photographer but I do know the sea doesn't slope. Either get it right in the first place or straighten it afterwards. It isn't hard to straighten the horizon, plenty of free software to do it for you, including on your phone, and sponateneous amateur of full on pro your photo will look so much better.
Pedantic maybe, but it annoys the heck out of me. Sorry.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 04:21 PM
kja

Originally Posted by hetismij2
II'm not a professional photographer but I do know the sea doesn't slope. Either get it right in the first place or straighten it afterwards. It isn't hard to straighten the horizon, plenty of free software to do it for you, including on your phone, and sponateneous amateur of full on pro your photo will look so much better.
Pedantic maybe, but it annoys the heck out of me. Sorry.
Wow, I honestly cannot imagine how VERY annoyed hetismij2 must have been to not only post a criticism to a freely offered trip report that one could easily simply ignore, but to also repeat and elaborate upon it. Might I suggest that hetismij2 should, at all costs, avoid surfing?
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love your photos and report, joannyc! It is always a treat to see your travels. Thank you for sharing. (And please ignore those who feel compelled to nitpick and complain.)
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 12:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed your photos. What a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -