Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Extended family vacation base near Cornwall, NY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are attending a wedding in Cornwall, NY at the end of June. My extended family would like to find a location ideally within a 2 hour drive of Cornwall, NY to base ourselves for a week stay. We usually rent a large house for a week through something like vrbo. The tough part is finding a place with enough stuff to do for a wide range of ages (1 year old to grandmother). In the past, we particularly loved the Cannon Beach, OR area for this type of vacation b/c all ages enjoyed spending time just hanging out on the various beaches and easy hiking at nearby state parks. One family with a young child prefers to always go back to the rental house for the child's nap so they are fairly limited in terms of distance and attractions. I am starting to do the preliminary research of locations to look into. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 02:39 AM
J62

2hr radius spans the Catskills, Hudson Valley, and even NYC. You say one family has a limited distance so do you really want 2hrs away?

You could look at small towns like New Paltz, Woodstock on the west side of the Hudson, or Rhinebeck or Millbrook on the east.

New Paltz is a college town so there may be student rentals available on VRBO during the summer. Lots of nearby hiking in the "'gunks" or Minnewaska state park - suitable for all ages.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Hyde Park, NY.
We had a great visit there a few months ago. I wanted to spend more time there. You can visit the Roosevelt and Vanderbilt homes. Wonderful food at the CIA as well as tours. There's still a drive-in at Hyde Park. No beaches, but take a look at what's near Hyde Park.

This thread may be helpful with many suggestions by Fodorites. We were only able to see a few things on our To Do list. I would love to have a week to wander and discover.
2 days in and around Hyde Park - your favorite things?

Last edited by starrs; Nov 18th, 2019 at 04:26 AM.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 08:46 AM

More info about the Hudson Valley - so much to see and do, and it's also gorgeous.

Hudson Valley
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies! It will take me some time to research all of the places mentioned, but it is a great starting point since I am not familiar with the area. To clarify, we will go to Cornwall, NY for the wedding, but after the wedding, our extended family will move to a base ideally less than 2 hours away from Cornwall to have our family vacation. The family with young kids just need enough stuff nearby that base to do since they are constantly going back to the rental for naps.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 06:45 AM
J62

With this new info I’ll modify my input.

Families that live in that area will frequent these locations.

Beach, either Jersey Shore, Cape Cod, or southern Maine.

Mountains/ lakes. Catskills, Berkshires, or Adirondacks. The first 2 are closer, the latter has many more lake options ranging from big lakes like Lake George or Sacandaga with motor sports, to 100’s of smaller lakes for canoe/ kayak usage.

Price / accommodations can range from tent camping to rustic cabin in the woods to luxury VRBO lakeside, or on the motel/ lodge side cottages to basic motel to luxury lodge.

if either the beach or Adirondacks are of interest I can give more specifics.