A Very Short Visit to Belgium

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2019, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

We're thinking of adding a few days in Belgium (thought of Greece or Portugal as well but these have been rejected) end of April to start of May.
We've been to Brugges twice over the years (most recently a couple of years ago) and may or may not include a day to Bruges. Also spent a day in Brussels some time ago.
I'm thinking of staying either in Ghent (which is kind of in the middle of my potential destinations) or Brussels which is convenient for the airport.
Most likely spend a day in Ghent and possibly one in Antwerp.
We could take a day trip to Bruges if we stay in Ghent and/or a day in Brussels.
If we stay in Ghent we'd most likely sleep in Brussels airport (I believe the closest hotel to the terminal is the Sheraton, correct?).

Any thoughts on where else we could go for this short (maybe 3-4 days) visit? Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are direct Intercity trains between Gent and Brussels Zaventem international airport hourly, taking 1 hour. Unless you have a very early morning flight I wouldn't stay at a ghastly and expensive airport hotel.

" Any thoughts on where else we could go for this short (maybe 3-4 days) visit?"

Dendermonde, Mechelen, Tournai, Ypres, Leuven, Lille,
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 12:51 AM

Be aware that May 1st is a holiday; trains will run on a Sunday schedule, and shops may be closed (though not touristy shops, these will be open).
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 01:29 AM

I would stay at Gand - Ghent. Lovely and living city.
Bruxelles is great too.
Sheraton is indeed at the airport - about 24.5 meters from entrance.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Three replies and different things to consider.
If we sleep at the airport it would be for a May 3rd morning flight. Ithink it's around 9:30AM so I doubt we'd want to take a 1 hour train.
I'll look into those other suggestions for visits as well.

Thanks.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Myer
We're thinking of adding a few days in Belgium (thought of Greece or Portugal as well but these have been rejected) end of April to start of May.
We've been to Brugges twice over the years (most recently a couple of years ago) and may or may not include a day to Bruges. Also spent a day in Brussels some time ago.
I'm thinking of staying either in Ghent (which is kind of in the middle of my potential destinations) or Brussels which is convenient for the airport.
Most likely spend a day in Ghent and possibly one in Antwerp.
We could take a day trip to Bruges if we stay in Ghent and/or a day in Brussels.
If we stay in Ghent we'd most likely sleep in Brussels airport (I believe the closest hotel to the terminal is the Sheraton, correct?).

Any thoughts on where else we could go for this short (maybe 3-4 days) visit? Thanks.
Stay in Brussels and do your walking there. Muntpunt has great walks all around Brussels. All very interesting, as we found out yesterday, when we did a walk in Ixelles, taking in the "Ponds" and the Ter Kamer Abbey.

Brussels has such a great vibe it would be a shame to miss that.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Does anybody know anything about Brussels Airlines? Are they real? Reliable? Etc.

We were in Brussels for the last day of a trip years ago. Maybe should consider some time there.

Menachem. Are you suggesting we base in Brussels instead of Ghent? Or spend several days there?
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:13 AM

"Does anybody know anything about Brussels Airlines? Are they real? Reliable?"

Are you ready to discover the magic of the interweb?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_Airlines

https://skytraxratings.com/airlines/...irlines-rating
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

BDKR, Thanks but that tells me stuff in isolation of others. Many people give almost every airline a failing score.

Has anybody flown with Brussels Airlines? Are they at least decent for a 4-5 hour one-way flight?
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:32 AM

I have never flown Brussels Airlines, but a dozen of others from Lufthansa to PIA and honestly I couldn't find much difference among the lot(although I always travel cattle class). Every airline was decent enough for a 4-5 hour flight. I guess this depends more on the passanger than the airline.

Have you ever flown an airline which was not decent?
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:39 AM

The only airlines I've ever flown that I would consider "not decent" are Spirit and Ryanair, so yes, I think there are airlines that could be considered not decent, but Brussels Air wouldn't be among them.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:40 AM

Has anybody flown with Brussels Airlines? Are they at least decent for a 4-5 hour one-way flight?
Yes, of course. It's our national airline!
We regularly fly them within Europe, but have also flown them a few times to Dakar/Senegal and to Egypt, which are flights of abt. 6 hrs.
Their service is impeccable and even the food is good.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 04:43 AM

Re day trips and things to do in Brussels, here is my trip report from a 10 day stay based in Brussels
10 days in Belgium plus a day in the Netherlands
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Vt, Thanks. I'll read your report later in the day.
St Cirq. I know a Jet Blue pilot who describes Spirit seats as wooden benches. Funny.
Thanks for the real info on Brussels Airlines. Not a concern any more. Thanks.
BDKR. No I have never flown an airline that was not decent.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 05:29 AM

"The only airlines I've ever flown that I would consider "not decent" are Spirit and Ryanair"

I have flown Ryanair many times and it was just as decent as Lufthansa. Never had any problem with Ryanair.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by BDKR
I have flown Ryanair many times and it was just as decent as Lufthansa. Never had any problem with Ryanair.
Agree! Their new planes even have more legroom than Vueling or TUI Fly planes.

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 02:27 PM

Does anybody know anything about Brussels Airlines? Are they real? Reliable? Etc.

We were in Brussels for the last day of a trip years ago. Maybe should consider some time there.

Menachem. Are you suggesting we base in Brussels instead of Ghent? Or spend several days there?
Brugge: 1 hour by train from Brussels Central
Gent St Pieters: 35-40 minutes
Gent Dampoort: 50 minutes

Plus you'll have Brussels.
Look for a hotel near Brussels Central. There are several good ones and prices are very reasonable as long as you don't go for something near the big European institutions.
For instance: http://www.booking.com/Share-fWKH53
Or if you want to splash out a little: http://www.booking.com/Share-iZOkfdU
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 09:30 PM

Brussels Airlines used to be called Sabena. It's fine. I prefer Easyjet if they do the same route, as they seem to fly with newer aircraft.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

We've been to Brugges twice over the years. Most recently about two years ago. So we'd probably skip Brugges.

Until a day or so ago the plan was to arrive in Brussels and immediately train to Ghent as a mini-base. From there spend the remainder of the arrival date (noon on) and last day in Ghent.

That would leave us 2 full days more. Maybe go to Antwerp (haven't looked at this yet). Maybe Brussels or some other smaller places.

We were in Brussels for a day or two years back and don't remember being excited with it. Maybe our impression was wrong. We can be convinced.

While this plan has us staying in a smaller place (Ghent rather than Brussels) it's not very efficient as we'll arrive by plane in Brussels and depart Brussels by plane. In fact, our plane out leaves at 9:30 AM and we'd probably want to sleep at the Sheraton in the airport.

My wife was watching if few Youtube videos and she became a little concerned that Ghent may close up by 6 PM. If that's the case it would fit more as a day trip than a base. Not that we're party people but a town with some people around might be better.

Menachem seems to be the only person suggesting Brussels as a base and spending some time there,

Near the start of this thread BDKR suggested a few other day trip destinations. I'll look at those.

Comments on Brussels as both a base and destination for a day and a half or so would be appreciated.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 03:19 AM

I will side with menachem and put in a vote for Brussels too. I have never understood why it gets such a bad rap. But then, I love Milano, which most people diss also.

I haven't flown on the new Ryanair planes, so maybe my perception is outdated, but that's because I stopped flying them years ago because of their execrable customer service and tendency to slap on extra charges seemingly at whim. I do agree that if EasyJet flies the same route as Brussels Air, I'd probably choose EasyJet.

We loved Antwerp.

I really don't think Ghent shuts down at 6 pm. Have you ever known a university town that does that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -