Help with side trip from Berlin!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Berlin in early July. Where do you suggest to go in the countryside up to 3 hours from Berlin by train? We want to go for 2-4 days to walk/bike/hike and enjoy beautiful scenery. Not steep hkes. We will be coming from Wengen. Looking for a charming village/small town.
Spreewald looks charming, but comments are that one day is enough.
What about Brandenburg-an-der-Havel?
I looked at the Harz mountains, but didn't come up w/anything.

Last edited by alainr; Nov 14th, 2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: forgot to ask about Brandenburg-an-der-Havel
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 09:02 PM

National Park Saxon Switzerland on the Czech border. Bizarre sandstone formations, canyons, flat-top mountains ... etc. Check out Wehlen, Rathen, Bad Schandau.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 10:33 PM

Escape to Colditz?
https://www.seat61.com/places-of-int...to-colditz.htm
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 11:00 PM

I second the suggestion for the Saxon Switzerland. Spectacular rock formation very different from the Alpine scenery of Switzerland, the hikes are easy(only the rock climbing is hard), add some historical interest(Königstein fortress), lovely villages, riverside scenery, easy access from Berlin(less than 3 hours to Bad Schandau via the comfortable Eurocity trains heading to Prague and beyond, enjoying the food and beer of the Czech restaurant car), the largest and oldest steamboat fleet of the world(Weisse Flotte=white fleet), let's hope there'll be some water left in the Elbe by July to keep the boats afloat. Oh, and let's not forget that nature doesn't care about borders so the same mountain scenery continues over the Czech border which is worth to extend your trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbe_Sandstone_Mountains

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A...ampfschiffahrt

The Harz is another great idea, although the scenery is much less spectacular, but the half-timbered villages and small town around the mountain are as great as it gets(and these still host far more German tourists than overseas tour groups) and it's tons of fun to get around the mountan on the narrow gauge railway(schedules steam trains on some routes). It is however slighly over the 3 hour range, Berlin - Wernigerode takes about 3 hour 30 minutes(add some delay).

https://www.creativelena.com/en/trav...stern-germany/

As great as these mountains are they're not very high and the weather in July can get brutally hot(climate change!) even in Germany, when the last thing you wish is sweating under your backpacks on forest trails. In such a hot weather I'd rather head north to Mecklenburg and go for a cool dip in one of the numerous lakes. Müritz is less than 3 hours by train from Berlin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCritz

https://www.visit1000lakes.com/
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 09:07 AM

Agree on everything BDKR said above except the weather comments. The hiking trails in the woods of Saxon Switzerland are never extremely hot. And there are the shady, humid canyons there, too! According to the National Park authorities you experience an upside down climate there: The canyons are much colder than the mountain tops, even plants/flowers from higher alpine regions survive there.

I did a hike through the Kamenice canyons (boat ride) and then through the woods to the famous sandstone arch Pravcicka brana with friends on a summer day with max. temperature 37 C (87 F) and it was absolutely fine!
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 09:47 AM

You must be right about the microclimate of the Saxon Switzerland, I was not thinking of that. The perfect escape on a hot day.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the input and good suggestions and info about the weather. after last year's heatwave, i have factored temperature in our plans.
Ingo, thank you for your addition about the weather in Saxon Switzerland. The Kamenice canyons looks beautiful. Where would you suggest to stay in Saxon Switzerland? Or should we rent a car in Berlin to get there? Due to possible heat, we would prefer to walk in the canyons as was suggested.
If we go to Mecklenburg Lake, which town/village do you recommend as a base? w/a train station nearby and on the lake. Müritz, Waren, Neustrelitz and Plau am See were mentioned online but w/o explanation.
We might try to visit both places.

Last edited by alainr; Nov 15th, 2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 12:30 AM

You can take a direct Eurocity train from Berlin to Bad Schandau, which is the largest town (and still small!) in Saxon Switzerland. A ferry or bus takes you from the train station to the opposite side of the river where the actual town is. Have a look at the spa hotel Elbresidenz (although a five star I find their rates to be very reasonable). If you don't want to spend that much, there are enough three and four star hotels along the river.

You can take the tram from Bad Schandau (Kurpark) along the lovely side valley Kirnitzschtal and do nice, easy hikes from the stops through the woods. A *must* place is Kuhstall (another sandstone arch and first rate viewpoint, with self-service restaurant). Several restaurants along the valley in former mills (Forsthaus, Lichtenhainer Wasserfall, Neumannmühle e.g.) There is also a bus (#241) that runs hourly through the valley, even farther than the tram.

To get from Bad Schandau to the canyons of the Kamenice is also easy. Take the train S1 or U28 (every half hour) to Schöna-Hirschmühle, then ferry to Hrensko. It is a 15 minutes walk to the begin of the canyons. After the two boat rides in the canyons you can continue on an easy, not steep trail through the woods to Mezni Louka (restaurants) from where you can take the bus down to Hrensko. Or do it vice versa.

My personal experience with the Lakes north of Berlin is limited, so I let others take the first shot
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 01:41 AM

Actually, there's no need to go for hours outside the city to see a bit of countryside. You can do that right within Berlin's city limits, which grew to encompass a number of villages in the 1930s, some of which still maintain their village flair. For instance Dahlem-Dorf has a fully-functioning farm, Domäne Dahlem, which I think can be visited. Lübbars is a real rural village in the northern reaches of Berlin complete with an old-fashioned pub. Alt-Tegel has the feel of a seaside excursion town with swans, day-trippers and boat tours. Just outside Berlin is the town of Werder, a beautiful island location famous for its fruit wine. Nearby is the idyllic village of Phoeben with its undeveloped lakeside. Across the lake Schwielowsee by an old-fashioned cable ferry is the town of Caputh where Einstein had his summer house. All of these places can be reached from Berlin by local public transportation, although renting a carmay be a good idea.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 02:12 AM

For hiking trails in te midlands/lowlands (in comparison with Wengen), Saxon Switzerland is a good choice.
But for that, I would rather fly from Switzelrand to Dresden than to Berlin.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 04:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Melanie_O
Actually, there's no need to go for hours outside the city to see a bit of countryside. You can do that right within Berlin's city limits, which grew to encompass a number of villages in the 1930s, some of which still maintain their village flair. For instance Dahlem-Dorf has a fully-functioning farm, Domäne Dahlem, which I think can be visited. Lübbars is a real rural village in the northern reaches of Berlin complete with an old-fashioned pub. Alt-Tegel has the feel of a seaside excursion town with swans, day-trippers and boat tours. Just outside Berlin is the town of Werder, a beautiful island location famous for its fruit wine. Nearby is the idyllic village of Phoeben with its undeveloped lakeside. Across the lake Schwielowsee by an old-fashioned cable ferry is the town of Caputh where Einstein had his summer house. All of these places can be reached from Berlin by local public transportation, although renting a carmay be a good idea.

Thank you for that info. five nights in Berlin, Potsdam for a day trip but this is great info for us.*
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 09:28 AM

"For hiking trails in te midlands/lowlands (in comparison with Wengen), Saxon Switzerland is a good choice.
But for that, I would rather fly from Switzelrand to Dresden than to Berlin."

Or take the night train from Zürich to Prague and a connecting train to Bad Schandau.
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Ingo
thank you for the detailed info. it sounds like we don't need to rent a car. Only hope that it won't get too hot. Most trip advisor complaints about hotels were about no a/c. Besides the Kamenice canyons, it would be great if you could give suggestions about other things to see/do that are in the canyons where it is cooler.
Hrensko looks charming. I am trying to estimate how many full days to stay in Saxon Switerzerland.
Thank you again.
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestion about heading north. If we go to Mecklenburg Lake, which town/village do you recommend as a base? w/a train station nearby and on the lake. Müritz, Waren, Neustrelitz and Plau am See were mentioned online but w/o explanation.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 01:28 AM

Alain,
I would not worry too much about A/C. Despite climate change and rather hot summers in last years it would be extremely bad luch to catch the few days with really almost unbearable temperatures. With the river in front it cools off quite a bit at night so you can get a good sleep.

Of course you can go hiking in the canyons - and there are lots and lots of them. In German they are often called "Grund" (a deep, narrow glen) or "Loch". For example Uttewalder Grund (access from Stadt Wehlen, train station + ferry) which is very shady. A side glen called "Heringsloch" is an interesting hiking loop with bizarre sandstone formations, both together about 2-3 hours. There is a nice little restaurant in the upper Uttewalder Grund, too.

At the end of Kirnitzschtal, about a half hour walk through the woods from Hinterhermsdorf (a picturesque village) is another punting boat ride - Obere Schleuse. Very shady and cool even on hot summer days.

You can do bike trips, too. There are buses with trailers for bikes for example from Bad Schandau via Sebnitz to Hinterhermsdorf - bike back to Bad Schandau all the way through Kirnitzsch valley. On not too hot days the Elbe river cycling trail is highly recommended also. Or take a train S1 to Königstein and bus with bike trailer to Rosenthal, Fußweg zum Schneeberg. This is at more than 500 m elevation in the woods, from there you can bike back down to the Elbe valley via long, shady and cool smaller valleys - or slightly uphill first across the border to Czech Republic, then down to Decin and back to Bad Schandau. All very nice, even on hot days.

Another idea is a paddle steamer trip on the Elbe river. There is always a refreshing breeze on the steamers, no matter what the temperature outdoor is. Very scenic trip, go as far as Stadt Wehlen or even Pirna, train back.

Don't miss fortress Königstein. The views are fantastic, there are lots of sights on top of that plateau also. And the buildings with museums should be cool enough - I think the main museums have A/C.

Last but not least - there are lots of options for swimming, cooling off in the water. Not in the river, though, but almost every village or town in the region has a nice public pool. I like the one in Stadt Wehlen right by the Elbe river, Cunnersdorf has also a nice one e.g. And Bad Schandau has the big public pool with spa Toskana Therme.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 07:07 AM

"Or take the night train from Zürich to Prague and a connecting train to Bad Schandau".

The itinerary via Basel - nightjet - Berlin would be faster, however
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 09:02 AM

Correction, sorry - "Heringsloch" is a small grotto in the side glen to Uttewalder Grund. That side glen is named "Teufelsgrund". Picture of Uttewalder Grund below:

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, thank you so much for the detailed info. the photo is so inviting. It sounds like there is more than enough to see/do for 3 days.
I think we will fly from zurich to prague. spend a night in prague (which we have spent time in before) and then head to Bad Schandau. Afterwards our stay there, take a train to Berlin. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge!
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion of flying to prague. it is less expensive and always works out well. no non stop flight to dresden from zurich or basel.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 12:20 PM

Easyjet has non-stop flights Basel to Dresden (just not daily) and SWISS has non-stop flights daily Zürich to Dresden. Takes about 1:20 hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -