Belgium, Amsterdam, Paris - 7 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Europe for the first time in late October with my bf. We land in Brussels but didn’t plan on spending too much time there.

We would rather go to Amsterdam or Paris. But since it’s our first time we thought “why not both!?” Our tentative itinerary is to land in Belgium and stay there 1 night.

Day 2 go to Amsterdam by train and stay there 3 nights. Then go to Paris, by train again, for one day and night.
I realize 1 day in Paris isn’t enough but I would love to go there at least for a night and see the Eiffel Tower.

Our final day would be spent getting back to Brussels for our evening flight.
Is this too ambitious? Any tips, suggestions and recommendations would be great!

Last edited by bsandov_10; Aug 4th, 2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 12:35 PM

It's nuts, but it's your first time, so do whatever comes to mind. It will all take your breath away. You probably bought tickets into and out of Belgium because you thought you were saving money, right? Well, if you're not hooked on visiting Belgium that might not have been such a good plan. Which isn't to say visiting Belgium isn't a good idea - it's a lovely country. But you should have bought open-jaw tickets, but you'll learn.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Paris is such a huge city that you will only scratch the surface. I don't think it's worth it for one night. I would do Brussels - Paris or Amsterdam - Brussels myself, just to maximise the time. Don't be afraid of Belgium as a destination, it's got some marvellous cities which are worth a visit. But you could almost spend all your time in just Paris or even just Amsterdam. Your original plan needs pruning!

Lavandula
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 01:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Very bad use of time - sorry

I assume you already booked your flights in/out of Brussels. Probably the first mistake since Brussels doesn't really appeal to you. (Just an exercise - probably to no avail but see what kind of fees you'd have if you change your flights to in to Paris and home from Amsterdam or vice versa).

some points:

• you should travel back to Brussels the evening prior to your flight out. It is almost never a great idea to be in another country the same day you are flying home.

• You have a grand total of five nights and are sleeping in three different cities/countries.

• You essentially have less than half a day IN Paris since it will take 3.5 hours on the train then transfer to your hotel/check in/etc, So it will eat up half a day. Then you have to leave the next AM for Brussels. And IF you travel to Brussels that evening like you should, then even less time in Paris.

If you truly are stuck with those flights . . . Then immediately upon landing in Brussels fly to CDG. spend 3 nights in Paris, train to Amsterdam and spend two nights. Train to Brussels early AM - fly out that evening.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 10:33 PM

Sane advice here. Do less and do bxl paris or Amsterdam bxl.
But when young I 'did' a lot of cities in one day - at least I was there.
Not sure there are still flugjts to paris from bxl.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by bsandov_10
Traveling to Europe for the first time in late October with my bf. We land in Brussels but didn’t plan on spending too much time there.

We would rather go to Amsterdam or Paris. But since it’s our first time we thought “why not both!?” Our tentative itinerary is to land in Belgium and stay there 1 night.

Day 2 go to Amsterdam by train and stay there 3 nights. Then go to Paris, by train again, for one day and night.
I realize 1 day in Paris isn’t enough but I would love to go there at least for a night and see the Eiffel Tower.

Is this too ambitious? Any tips, suggestions and recommendations would be great!
In my opinion, you should start your trip to Paris where you can explore the scenic river cruise and nightlife in Paris and many more places. After Paris, you can head over to Zurich which will take around 6 to 7 hours of drive and after that, you can move from Zurich to Frankfurt then Frankfurt to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Brussels. In this way, you will cover major destinations. The trip can be even better if you plan this trip for 10 to 11 days.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 03:17 AM

<<In my opinion, you should start your trip to Paris where you can explore the scenic river cruise and nightlife in Paris and many more places. After Paris, you can head over to Zurich which will take around 6 to 7 hours of drive and after that, you can move from Zurich to Frankfurt then Frankfurt to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Brussels.>>

There is no end to absolutely insane travel advice. Maybe the OP should do a side trip to Mumbai?
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 03:41 AM

+1 on St Cirq. Insane advice is the word.
Besides i am still to be told what is nice in Frankfurt.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 04:50 AM

The OP probably booked a cheap RT fare to Brussels, a common enough mistake by first timers. What stuns me is the kind of itinerary advice some folks give!
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 05:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd stay in Brussels, day trip to Brugge, Ghent, Middelburg, possibly Luxembourg or Trier.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
I'd stay in Brussels, day trip to Brugge, Ghent, Middelburg, possibly Luxembourg or Trier.
I would too -- but it sounds like the OP has almost no interest in Belgium. My itinerary was just trying to work out a way to fit Paris and A'dam into their very short time frame and flying in/out of Brussels. It could be a mess what ever they decide.

{I think everyone can safely ignore maazaga's post (and all future posts from him/her) Likely a troll because that itinerary makes no sense at all. It couldn't have been serious}
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 06:52 AM

Like you I always try to cram a lot into a short visit, I tend to always regret the time it takes to travel for the one night stop. The more I go to Europe the more I find staying in one or two spots and not trying to cram everything in makes it more enjoyable. You certainly can do all of that in one trip, although you will only scratch the surface. I can understand the desire to see Paris. That being said I would recommend just splitting the time between Belgium and Amsterdam. We are on our 3rd trip to Bruges (for the beer festival in Feb.) and Amsterdam and still feel we have not scratched the surface. Last trip we stayed in Bruges a few nights went to the Ardennes for one night and a day trip to Luxembourg before going to Amsterdam. The day to Luxembourg was rushed and chaotic but I did get the gift I want to bring my mom back. It can be done and if you want to go for it. You'll either love it or feel rushed and will change your tactics while planning your next trip!

Last edited by rivermama; Aug 5th, 2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: add more
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 07:24 AM

Before more advice, are you already stuck with those flights? You current plan is a little like flying into Washington DC with the idea of visiting New York and Boston and returning to DC. Most of your time would be spent on a train or bus and getting to and from your hotels.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by bsandov_10

Just go to Paris, immediately from Brussels when you land, and travel back to Brussels 2 nights before you fly out and enjoy the wonderful Brussels vibe. One night in Paris is much too short, unless you are really, really looking forward to Dutch herbs.

Last edited by menachem; Aug 5th, 2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Very bad use of time - sorry

I assume you already booked your flights in/out of Brussels. Probably the first mistake since Brussels doesn't really appeal to you. (Just an exercise - probably to no avail but see what kind of fees you'd have if you change your flights to in to Paris and home from Amsterdam or vice versa).

some points:

• you should travel back to Brussels the evening prior to your flight out. It is almost never a great idea to be in another country the same day you are flying home.

• You have a grand total of five nights and are sleeping in three different cities/countries.

• You essentially have less than half a day IN Paris since it will take 3.5 hours on the train then transfer to your hotel/check in/etc, So it will eat up half a day. Then you have to leave the next AM for Brussels. And IF you travel to Brussels that evening like you should, then even less time in Paris.

If you truly are stuck with those flights . . . Then immediately upon landing in Brussels fly to CDG. spend 3 nights in Paris, train to Amsterdam and spend two nights. Train to Brussels early AM - fly out that evening.
Why fly? it's 1.5 hours by train. If it were me, I'd just skip Amsterdam
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 09:35 AM

>>Why fly? it's 1.5 hours by train<<

I agree taking train makes more sense for most itineraries (the vast majority). But in this case they will be at the airport and flying would be very easy. That's why I suggested flying. Normally -- no way.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 11:20 AM

<<Besides i am still to be told what is nice in Frankfurt>>

Yeah, there's that too. Although I used to fly into Frankfurt on TWA because it was really cheap and spend the night in Schloss Lehen and think I was a princess. But this was decades ago and it didn't take me long to get over Frankfurt.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Original Post here makes a LOT more sense than some of the other suggestions, assuming they have already purchased their flights in and out of Brussels (for what ever reason).

My only suggestion would be take 1 night from Amsterdam and put it to Paris... 1 arrival day Brussels, 2 days Amsterdam, 2 days Paris, 2 days back to Brussels for going home... there's your week.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 02:20 PM

>>1 arrival day Brussels, 2 days Amsterdam, 2 days Paris, 2 days back to Brussels for going home... there's your week.<<

suze: Your plan is impossible if the OP is accurate. If it is accurate they do not have a week. She says they have five nights on the ground (1 in Brussels, 3 in Amsterdam, and 1 in Paris). It seems the entire trip, home to home is 7 days.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 03:31 PM

If you can’t change your flights, make up your mind if you want to see Amsterdam or Paris. Do not try to see both on this trip, too much expensive time is wasted traveling and so much of what could be good sightseeing time is lost?

As soon as you arrive in Brussels, catch the train to the city of your choice. Spend 4 nights (3 days) there. You could take a quick, easy, day trip from either one. Versailles is easy from Paris. Haarlem and Delft are easy, short trips from Amsterdam. Travel back to Brussels or to a nearby town like Ghent or Bruges for your last night. They are very short train rides to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -