Escaping from Texas heat for Washington State with two dogs

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retired couple who are long time escapers to Maine, looking for a central location near Seattle where we could get a cabin/house for a month this August. We would like something scenic and relaxing to just enjoy the area but make some day trips around. Never been there - any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old May 29th, 2019, 02:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The dogs will limit the number of available cabins/houses. They will also limit the areas of the National Parks that you would want to visit. What is the budget ($/night) for an extended stay in Washington?
Check for something near North Bend WA area that fits your budget that will accept your dogs.
Old May 29th, 2019, 02:56 PM

State parks are the way to go with dogs, but even that can be limited.

have you considered Portland/Oregon coast? I think it’s A LOT more dog friendly than Seattle area.

i agree with Tom that your options will be limited by dogs, but I’m more concerned that you’re booking so late.
Old May 29th, 2019, 03:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, "near" Seattle can mean a pretty big area. What about budget limitations? Anywhere in or near the city of Seattle is likely to be very expensive, and you'll probably have big problems even finding a place this late.

I would do an Airbnb or VRBO search for the greater Puget Sound region, then decide what works for you in terms of convenience and budget. There are quite a few pet-friendly rentals listed on the VRBO site, but you might have to move from one property to another in order to make the most out of a month in the region. Things are fairly spread out and transportation can be made complicated by ferries and bridges. But maybe an island get-away for a couple of weeks might be just the ticket, e.g. this place on Vashon Island, a short ferry ride from Seattle - https://www.vrbo.com/1576572?adultsC...tIncluded=true or this one on Whidbey Island, north of the city, accessible by road and ferry - https://www.vrbo.com/1109133?adultsC...tIncluded=true
Old May 30th, 2019, 02:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why the Seattle area? I agree I think the coast (either Oregon or Washington) would be more welcoming for what you are seeking.

from Suze, in Seattle
Old May 30th, 2019, 11:21 PM

If you come to Oregon, you should stay at the coast.

Seattle and the Sound make more of western Washington breezy and cool than western Oregon.