Search

Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2019, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida

Hello everyone

I am Odeta Rose from Paris, France. I am planning a trip to Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida next week. I never visit Florida before, I saw some pictures on Google and it’s looking so beautiful. I like places with natural wonder, I love nature.

So I am looking for people who can share their experience with me and suggest me some more places to visit in Florida.

Thank you

Old May 25th, 2019, 04:33 AM

Are you staying in Key West when you go to the Dry Tortugas? The Florida Keys are a chain of islands that run from Miami to Key West. There are many things do do and see in the Keys and it is beautiful, full of nature and natural wonder.
I’m not sure when your trip is or how long you’re staying, but the weather is very hot there in the summer.
Old May 25th, 2019, 05:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Dry Tortugas are quite beautiful, but be aware that there are no accommodations. It is possible to camp but you must bring all supplies with you, and reserve in advance. However, you can easily make a day trip, either via boat, a fast catamaran that gets you there in three hours, or by seaplane. We took the boat. There is some fair snorkeling there, and the boat will rent gear if you haven't your own.

As a nature lover, you might also want to visit the Everglades while in Florida.
Old May 26th, 2019, 02:52 AM

Furthermore

As Fra Diavolo, noted there are no accommodations on Dry Tortugas. Note the following as well:
https://www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvis...ndservices.htm
https://www.drytortugas.com/rules/
And if you're thinking of spending the night there:
https://www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
This place is absolutely a primitive experience, where you will need to bring a lot of equipment AND make reservations far in advance.

You can see some beautiful nature in Everglades National Park AND visit with almost no planning or extra equipment.

Last edited by PaulRabe; May 26th, 2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
There are daily tours that you need to book. Key West has some great day adventures, snorkelling, boating and sailing. Fury key west watersports. You can kayak also. Lazy day adventures. Blue planet eco tours is good.
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:15 AM

Macross, did you mean to refer to Lazy Dog Adventures in Key West? We recently rented kayaks from them and kayaked through the mangroves - loved every minute of it!

we also went to the Everglades. We only visited the area around and near the Ernest Coe visitor center but even so, wow! We walked the Anhinga and Gumbo Limbo paths, and one other the name of which I don’t recall, and drove around to a few other spots. Fascinating. We were hit with a few sudden rain events, but we were in an RV so we just waited them out - took a nap during one and ate lunch during the other!