Where-oh-where in Colorado?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking for a 5-7 night getaway somewhere in Colorado in late May (post Memorial Day). Primary interests are scenery, moderate hiking, decent food, peace and quiet.

We live in the state and have seen most of it at one time or another. We plan to drive. We'd like to avoid the busy season (which never seems to end anymore), hence the late May timing.

We're considering Breckenridge (which unfortunately screams BUSY) just because we haven't been there in ages and are curious (but somewhat concerned about large numbers of people, even though the ski area will have just closed days earlier). And possibly Steamboat Springs (same concerns, visited last October and could not believe how busy it still was). But, we're open to suggestions for quieter places that we might not have considered.

We're taking a late April trip to Ouray, Moab, Durango and Ojo Caliente, NM so those areas aren't under consideration. Not interested in Estes/RMNP. Not interested in Buena Vista, Salida, Leadville - as we live nearby and get there often. Same with Crested Butte and Gunnison. All lovely places, but not on our radar for this trip.

Any suggestions for a couple of peace-seeking, jaded Coloradans?
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
What part of the state do you plan to start from? My favorite train trip is starting in the morning from Denver Union station and taking the California Zephyr west to Glenwood Springs. The 40 miles before you reach Glenwood Springs through the Glenwood Canyon of the Colorado River is some of the best daytime scenery from any Amtrak train. The view from the train is a lot better than when you are driving through it on I-70.
There is a good bus service between Glenwood Springs and Aspen (and Maroon Bells).
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi tom - we'll be starting west of Colorado Springs.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 07:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take US 24 west/north toward Leadville. If Rt. 82 is open to Aspen, take it all the way to Glenwood Springs. The top of the Independence Pass (Rt. 82) is slightly over 12K feet.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tom, familiar with Independence Pass. Looks like it opens Memorial Day, so a possibility to consider. Maybe Aspen? Not really a fan of Glenwood.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in Breckenridge over the 4th of July - that day was busy but the rest of the week was tolerable to good. If you're avoiding Memorial Day weekend, I would think it would be fairly laidback there. BIg question is the hiking ttrails - since you're close to the area, would it make sense to plan a couple different locations and pick whichever has better conditions at the last minute?

Grand Lake outside RMNP is much quieter than Estes Park and is a good base for the west side of RMNP if that isn't a turn off. Have you ever looked at Colorado State Forest State Park? They have cabins and yurts and plenty of hiking in the area - it's on the back side (north) of RMNP plus there are some wilderness areas/national forests as well. Just not sure what kind of decent food is in the area - Walden is a tiny town sort of close by.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks WhereAreWe - maybe I'm worried about busyness for nothing; it's a pet peeve, so always a factor in our planning. I've compiled a list of hiking trails near Breckenridge and Frisco. We'd probably only spend 2-3 nights there, just enough to get a taste of the place, and do a bit of hiking. Would Frisco be a viable alternative?

Grand Lake is a good thought - we used to snowmobile there back in the day, but it's been a long time since we were there. All I can remember about it is dead trees (!) Trail Ridge Road may not be open yet though, so will have to look at alternative routes. I'll take a look at CO State Forest Park, too, thanks for that.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 06:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Mel, I was going to suggest Grand Lank / Winter Park area as well. Plenty of hiking in the area, and great wildlife viewing in Kawuneeche Valley. That side of RMNP is much different than the east. I don't think the dead trees are as much of a shock now as they were years ago. CO State Forest is nice but all trails will likely be snowpacked in May, as will many around Grand Lake.

However as an alternative how about heading east? Have you been to the Comanche National Grasslands, the area around La Junta? We were there in late May some years back and the flower bloom was incredible. We may go back this year. Bent's Old Fort is great, there are hiking trails to dinosaur tracks and Spanish mission ruins. The birding is fantastic. Look up Picketwire Canyon. May not ring your bell, but it's something different.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 06:48 AM

Trail Ridge Road is historically opened on Memorial Day weekend, but that's subject to snowpack. I would assume they will have some updates as the date gets closer. If the road is not open, that will likely reduce number of visitors to the west side so it'll be quieter than a normal year.

Frisco vs Breckenridge - it's only 8 miles (?) between them so either works. I thought Breckenridge was prettier and we didn't spend much time in Frisco. To me, Breckenridge felt like we were in the mountains whereas Frisco didn't have the same feel. It just felt more open and not as cozy but again, we didn't spend much time in Frisco and have only been to the area once, so others may have very different opinions.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 07:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We love Devil’s Thumb Ranch, Tabernash, CO.
https://www.devilsthumbranch.com/
It’s between Winter Park and Granby. Easy day-trips to Grand Lake.
It has fabulous scenery as far as the eye can see, hiking, great food, peace & quiet galore. Plus horses, homegrown beef, a spa, and eco-efficiency throughout. Decor is old Western, in Ralph Lauren-style. Excellent customer service.
About a two-hour drive from Denver airport. Or take Amtrak to Fraser, and the Ranch will pick you up.

Last edited by MoBro; Apr 18th, 2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 08:50 AM

If you do decide on Breckenridge, the horse ride we took there at the ski resort went through some beautiful country. Not cheap, but you wouldn't expect that from Breck.

Western Colorado is gorgeous and in my mind, Glenwood Springs is just a gateway to the area.

Also, if you want to go away from crowds, consider a day pass to one of these locations. Some of them have more hiking than others. But they are all beautiful settings.

https://www.5280.com/2016/03/cloiste...ado-monastery/
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 03:03 AM

We like Frisco a lot as a gateway to ski areas but it is really a nice little town with good places to eat and shop. Breck is more like being nestled in the mountains in a getaway.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 04:39 AM

On our last trip to CO we took 40 north of 70 through Steamboat Springs then over to Dinosaur NP. The trip up 40 was very pretty, Steamboat looked cute but I would guess it is touristy. Dinosaur has some nice hiking if you haven't been there yet.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Steamboat is touristy emalloy, but has some nice hiking nearby and some good restaurants.

The Monastery link was fascinating 5alive - not really our thing, but interesting just the same, thanks for posting.

Thanks for the Frisco/Breck comparison Gretchen.

Appreciate the suggestions. We're off to Ouray, Moab, Durango and Ojo Caliente in a few days. I guess we'll make a decision when we get back.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Yeah, I didn't really expect you'd want to stay the night. The day use fee is really a chance to hike on their property and possibly also get a lunch in the deal.

I've seen the one at Snowmass in wintertime, and it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And so entirely quiet.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 08:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I will never understand when people like and recommend Frisco. Big nothing-burger compared to all the options in Colorado.