Food tours in Bosnia, Croatia & Slovenia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We'll be in Croatia & Slovenia this spring and have grown fond of food tours as much for the food as for the history and the culture. We'll be in Sarajevo in Bosnia. In Croatia possibilities might be in Zagreb, Rovinj, Split, Korcula and Dubrovnik. In Slovenia, we'll be in Ljubljana & Lake Bled. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not a tour but have you considered "eatwith" www.eatwith.com for a meal in a person's home? They offer many cities. We are booking for Zagreb for May.

We are also doing this one in Ljubliana www.tourhq.com/si13479/tours/3Hours-private--tour-itinerary-ljubljana/ljubljana-music-walk.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 11:35 PM

Just food, or are you interested in wine tours as well? Only in the cities, or outside the cities?

I don't know of any food tour in Rovinj, but I do know a guide you can hire to take you out into Istria for food and wine. He doesn't have a website but I have known him for years and he knows his stuff (plus he is a lot of fun.) If you want his info, send me a message.

In Dubrovnik, D'Vino wine bar runs tours to the Pelješac peninsula but they include quite a few wineries and not just food (though there is food, and sometimes swimming.) https://www.dvino.net/dubrovnik-wine-tours.html

In Ljubljana, this is a good food tour: https://www.topljubljanafoods.com/

Lot of food on the Ljubljana tour.. arrive hungry! Open Kitchen on Friday nights is also a lot of fun.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, laurie ann. I've never done a meal in a person's house. It might be worth exploring for this trip. Thanks!

rialtogirl -- sent you pm. I would be interested in your guide. Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 06:50 AM

I'm in Kranjska Gora in Slovenia now for 3 weeks, staying in a Ramada Hotel.

Even for a big hotel chain the food is excellent quality and the menu varied. All the local restaurants, look excellent. Plenty of meat dishes, with a slant of Austrian, Italian, Bosnian, Croatian, etc. All similar, and all claiming ownership.

Pizza places abound.

​​
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 06:57 AM

I was in Bosnia & Herzegonina for a couple of weeks last year too. My comments being similar to my last posting.

I don't think there's anything particular exciting, unless you go Gourmet, which isn't exactly traditional. But the quality, to me at least, appears very high.

Is there a need to do a Food Tour? Not for me, eat where the locals eat, and pay locals prices.

Last edited by LancasterLad; Apr 13th, 2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 07:04 AM

Also had similar experiences in Romania, Macedonia and Bulgaria...all great value.

And Croatia, but I found the prices had crept up quite a bit since entering the EU.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

LancaseterLad -- Thanks for your comments. Glad to hear you are finding the quality of the food to be high. I'm not a fan of meat, so hoping for fresh veggies and fish. Pizza is always good in a snap. No, of course, there is no "need" for a food tour. We'll have plenty of opportunities to check out where the locals eat. I've found food tours to be a nice introduction to not only the food, but the history and culture. We really enjoy tasting local foods and the tours can give us an overview so to speak. Often they do identify restaurants or stands we might never have come across. Typically they do not go to tourist places, or at least that has been my experience over the years.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by LancasterLad
I'm in Kranjska Gora in Slovenia now for 3 weeks, staying in a Ramada Hotel.

Even for a big hotel chain the food is excellent quality and the menu varied. All the local restaurants, look excellent. Plenty of meat dishes, with a slant of Austrian, Italian, Bosnian, Croatian, etc. All similar, and all claiming ownership.

Pizza places abound.

​​
Originally Posted by LancasterLad
I was in Bosnia & Herzegonina for a couple of weeks last year too. My comments being similar to my last posting.

I don't think there's anything particular exciting, unless you go Gourmet, which isn't exactly traditional. But the quality, to me at least, appears very high.

Is there a need to do a Food Tour? Not for me, eat where the locals eat, and pay locals prices.
I regularly go to Kranjska Gora and i completely agree with your points, including B&H...and I add Croatia in there too. High standards for food quality but not particularly exciting if you're a major foodie type. I KG I once stayed in a hotel favoured by a lot of Slovenians and Italians with an inclusive breakfast and dinner buffet (usually my hell) and I had planned not to eat there for dinner. Ate there on the first night as I was tired from the travel but it was so good (again, quality rather than sizzle) that I ate there about half the time. So if a hotel buffet is good, I think that says a lot for the overall quality. Decent quality wines as well.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Laurie- I booked Zagreb with eatwith. Several others that I tried to book didn’t get back to me. I figure i’ll See how it works out in Zagreb and decide if I shoild try other again.
Old May 1st, 2019, 02:32 PM

Yestravel, any chance you booked in Zagreb with Lidija? For May 23? If yes we will see you there!
Old May 1st, 2019, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Laurie Ann, we just had dinner at Lidija’s last night. She was away so her daughter and boyfriend hosted us. Lidija had told us this in advance and we decided to go ahead with the meal. It was was very good meal, plenty to eat, and nice company. We enjoyed the evening. Hope you to do. Wonderful views from their balcony.
thanks for mentioning Eatwith. We may try for a meal later in our trip.