NE Arizona - Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a few days after a meeting in Phoenix in which I want to visit some sights I've missed on other trips to Arizona.
Top priority for me are Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley.
Less important is Canyon de Chelly.
I wouldn't mind a return to Petrified Forest and am open to other suggestions.
I don't want to drive after dark on the rural roads. I prefer hotels/motels with interior corridors when traveling solo. Trip purpose is sightseeing and short walks.

I can leave Phoenix on Saturday after 1pm and must return for flight on Wednesday at noon in April.
I need to double check driving times, but my thought is to drive north from Phoenix on Saturday to Page or Tuba City. Stop at Cameron Trading post worthwhile? Not too far?

Visit Horseshoe Bend Sunday morning. Pre-book a Sunday mid day Lower Antelope Canyon tour. Anything else before driving to Monument Valley?
Drive to the View Hotel for Sunday night (only night available). Watch sunset.

Monday visitors center and self drive loop in Monument Valley. (I will look into tours more closely. I know not to self drive if it has been raining.)
Drive to Canyon de Chelly. Visitors center and drive the rims for views.
Spend the night where? Chinle? Too far/long day to drive on to Winslow on I-40? I didn't see anywhere I'd like to stay in Holbrook. Or should I drive through the Hopi nation?

Tuesday what would you suggest before spending the night within 2 hour drive of PHX?
Petrified forest? Walnut Canyon? Somewhere else?

I recently visited Grand Canyon south rim, Flagstaff, Montezuma's Castle, and Sedona. I visited the meteor crater some years ago.

Thanks for advice.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 08:51 PM

Cameron trading post will take very little time unless you like to browse in tourist traps.

If you want to see horseshoe bend and lower antelope, stay in Page. Marriott and Sleep Inn are best places to stay in Page and both have indoor corridors. There's a decent Mexican restaurant within walking distance of either hotel.

You should be able to get to Page before sunset. Horseshoe Bend is nice to view at sunset. If you go to antelope early enough, you could get to monument valley and drive 17 mile loop that afternoon. If you go to Canyon de Chelly, I recommend staying at Holiday Inn in Chinle. On your return drive to Phx, you could go to the old mining town/artist colony of Jerome or the town of Prescott either of which would allow you to return to Phx within 2 hours.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 11:55 PM

Antelope Canyon should be visited as close to noon as possible because you want the sun to reach down into the depth of the canyon. Reservations are recommended, although we had the impression that last minute space on the pick-up trucks that ferry you to the canyon was available.

Old Mar 14th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much.
Very helpful advice.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 07:39 PM

Note that Michael is referring to Upper Antelope. You have said you want to see Lower. Good choice; it is far better than Upper, less crowds, no dusty pickup ride. Lower Antelope can be visited at any time of the day. I have gotten great shots as late as just prior to closing in the afternoon. I highly recommend getting reservations to insure you are able to get in.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 08:01 PM

Another thing you might want to see in Page is Glen Canyon dam; it's very close to the two hotels I recommended earlier. There is also a viewpoint of the Colorado and the dam right off the highway next to Marriott. Any hotel in Page should be able to give you directions to get there.

When checking into The View, if you can get a room on one of the top two floors, as far from the restaurant as possible, facing the mittens, you will have a great view from your room for sunset and sunrise.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 03:22 AM

Recommend Hubble Trading Post that is now a national park
Excellent trip back into history.
Also Navajo National Monument
Vaga
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

The trip is coming together.
Stay one night in Page.
I can reserve Lower Antelope Canyon for 10:00am or earlier, then drive to Monument Valley, stopping at Navajo National Monument (no ranger led hike/tours in April). Room at the View for sunset/sunrise.
Walk the Wildcat Trail early next day. I may book a tour of MV in an enclosed vehicle rather than drive rental car on the loop. One is available that I can join solo at a convenient time.
Drive to Canyon de Chelly. Stay the night in Chinle. Drive the rims.
Stop at Hubbell Trading Post, maybe Petrified Forest, maybe Walnut Canyon. Night in Flagstaff.
Drive to PHX to return home.
No really long driving days and no night driving, which I prefer when traveling solo. Only a couple of set reservation times to allow some flexibility depending on weather and the unforeseen.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 07:46 AM

If you have mobility problems you may want to reconsider your choice of canyon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Canyon
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

No mobility problems with the ladders for me.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 01:47 PM

If you have not been to cliff dwellings, then go to Walnut canyon. There are about a million stairs up the small butte to them but you can go around and into them unlike many sites.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

I have been to Mesa Verde once--that was a magnificent experience. I've also been to Bandelier, Montezuma castle and I think Palatki (it was a long time ago).
Walnut Canyon will be one of those "if I have time" stops. Thanks for the warning about the million stairs.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 10:05 PM

If you have time, there is a nice, short (about 2 miles round trip) self guided hike to the bottom of the canyon and White House Ruins. It's on the south rim at Canyon de Chelly.

Remember that Arizona is not on daylight savings time except on the reservation so after you leave Page, set your time an hour ahead.

Vega, when did Hubbell become a NP? I live in the four corners area and I have not heard about that.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 05:13 AM

baily. Hubble is a national historic site under the NPS
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 06:45 AM

Emalloy, I knew about Hubbell being a national historic site. Vaga said it was a NP so I was asking him when it changed to NP
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 08:43 AM

Is Hovenweep too far out of the way?
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb
Is Hovenweep too far out of the way?
Hovenweep is a good camping stop between Arches and Mesa Verde, but I do not believe that there are outside accommodations nearby. There is a short hike in and around the canyon and its ruins, best done before it gets too warm or close to sunset.