Search

14 days in Portugal - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 days in Portugal - Please help!

Hi All,
We will be traveling to Portugal in September. Roundtrip to/from Lisbon.
Here is what we planned so far.
Day 1 - arriving in Lisbon. renting a car and heading to Evora. 1 night in Evora.
Day 2- Nazare - 2 nights.
Day 4 - Coimbra - 2 nights
Day 6 - Duoro Valley - 1 night.
Day 7 - Porto - 2 nights
Day 9 - Sintra - 1 night
Day 10 - Salema - 2 night
Day 12 - Lisbon - 3 nights

Is too much? should we cut down on something and or add any other destinations? all suggestions are welcome and highly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Old Feb 21st, 2019, 08:24 AM

I just checked, and your itinerary makes sense logistically, but I believe you'd benefit by spending one more night in Porto and either cutting time in Lisbon or Salema
So would swap the ending days to:
Day 7 - Porto - 3 nights
Day 10 - Sintra - 1 night
Day 10 - Salema - 1 night
Day 12 - Lisbon - 3 nights
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 08:40 AM

I think your itinerary looks good. When we went we flew into Lisbon and out of Porto but I wouldn't mind driving back to Lisbon next time (more flight options). We loved the Douro Valley. Glad you are spending the night there. We spent one night there on our trip and we can't say enough good things about it. It is our favorite memory of Portugal (and we have many great memories). Porto is quite fun especially if you like vintage port (my husband and our friend were in heaven). We loved Sintra too. It's nice you are spending the night there as it is much quieter at night. Driving is a bit challenging in Sintra as the streets are very narrow. We walked everywhere while we were there. You can hike up to the palace and the old castle (there are busses too). Be sure to go to Quinta da Regaleira if you like gardens. It is gorgeous! We actually spent 4 nights there and took the train into Lisbon. Very easy train ride. Lisbon is a beautiful city with very friendly people. We are returning to Portugal in 2020 and we can't wait.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 12:42 PM

between Porto and Sintra you could easily stop off at Obidos just to see it for a few hours. And enroute to/from Nazare hit Batalha Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Alcobaca monastery is also awesome. Since not much to do in Nazarre except a cutish seaside town you could easily day trip to Alcobaca not far away.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 02:01 PM

Dying to get to Duoro Valley. I have been a little obsessed with it lately. I loved Sintra and agree with the above on Quinta da Regaleira....it was remarkable!
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 04:57 PM

All that moving would make me crazy, but maybe it's my age. It seems to me that some of those stops could be accomplished as day trips without the necessity to change hotels so often.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you All for helping me with this trip.

HEre is our revised itinerary.

Day 1 - arriving in Lisbon. renting a car and heading to Evora. 1 night in Evora.
Day 4 - Coimbra - 1 night
Day 5 - Duoro Valley - 1 night.
Day 6 - Porto - 4 nights - visiting Braga - on day
Day 9 - Sintra - 1 night
Day 12 - Lisbon - 4 nights. Considering that we will have one day tour and possibly day tour to Caiscas.

Is it too much for Lisbon and Porto?
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 12:42 PM

Four nights is not too much for Lisbon. We spent 5 nights in Lisbon, and that included a day trip to Sintra. We have not been to Porto so can't comment.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 08:26 AM

Sintra over Cascais for sure and there is a neat drive via Cabo di Rocca and the westernmost tip of the European continent and a rough sea lapping at the Light House and continue on to Cascais -full but great day.

Some will castigate you for driving after an all-night flight but you know yourself better than others but in general studies show jet-lagged drivers are about the same as drunk drivers.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 12:32 AM

Yes, great update on your itinerary. I'd like to assure you that 4 nights is deffo not too much for Porto, especially that you are going on a day trip to Braga (good idea) too.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by mila0229
Day 6 - Porto - 4 nights - visiting Braga - on day
Add Guimarães. It's only a short drive away from Braga.

Day 9 - Sintra - 1 night
Day 12 - Lisbon - 4 nights.
Sintra is an easy daytrip from Lisbon. Best is to go by train (very limited parking in Sintra) from Rossio station.

Old Feb 26th, 2019, 08:04 AM

https://porto-north-portugal.com/bra...trip-tour.html

Don't miss Bom Jesus, an imnportant pilgrimage church on edge of Guimares.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

This is how our trip looks like today. We keep modifying it. Not sure if it is for the best. But we are trying.

Day 4 - Porto - 4 nights
Day trips to Duoro Valley, Santiago de Compostela, Braga and Guimares
Day 8 - Coimbra - 2 nights
Day 10 - Sintra - 2 nights
Day 12 - Lisbon - 3 nights.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 08:53 AM

With a car, a good alternative to rundown and dilapidated Coimbra is to stay in lovely Aveiro with its gondolas, canals, great food, etc. You can easily do a day trip to Coimbra to see Coimbra University, which is truly spectacular.
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Sounds like a good idea.
Old May 24th, 2019, 02:08 PM

I think you're missing out on the Algarve coast. It's a wonderful region, not just for sunbathing. Especially in September is the best time to visit.
Old May 28th, 2019, 08:18 PM

At day 4 you leave Nazaré and arrive Porto - probably at lunch time? Then checking-in at the Hotel, and have the afternoon for the city.

Then, day 5=day trip, day 6=day trip, day 7=day trip, and day 8 you leave Porto towards Coimbra.

So, you're not visiting Porto at all?
Old May 29th, 2019, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

We will arrive to Porto in the evening, On day 5 we have a private tour in Porto for 4 hours, after that we are taking a bout trip, day 6 - day trip from Porto, Day 7 Porto, ,Day 8 leaving Porto Coimbra via Braga, etc. Do you think it is not enough time for Porto?
Old May 30th, 2019, 06:58 AM

I know you're getting a variety of opinions here, so I'll add mine to the mix. I personally felt my day trip to Braga was a wasted day. Bom Jesus was interesting but it seemed like everything else was closed or not super impressive. I wished I had just stayed in Porto instead. Guimaraes was a fun day trip, but I'd say I could have been equally as happy in Porto. My advice is to give Porto and Lisbon ample time (3-4 full days each), and fit in day trips with whatever time you have left. You don't have to see everything in the first trip and you'll enjoy the trip more if you don't run yourself ragged (this is coming from someone who has the tendency to try and fit in too much and comes home from trips feeling absolutely exhausted!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -