Search

Belize and Guatemala - multi-generational

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize and Guatemala - multi-generational

Hi all,
I am plannig a trip for girls trip for myself, my 8 year old daughter and my 76 year old mother. We are planning on going to Belize and Guatemala and trying to decide whether to stop there or add a week somewhere else ... I have done research but still have a ton of questions! Our trip will be end of Dec 15 - Jan 5.

So far, I am thinking:
San Ignacio - 4 nights
Ambergris Caye - 4 nights
Fly to Guatemala City - go immediately to Antigua
Antigua - 3 nights
Lake Atitican - 4 nights

A few questions:
- we are looking at Duplooys or Ka'aana to stay in San Ignacio - but availability looks slim... Any suggestions for great jungle places that are not too expensive and would be good for all ages? Any thoughts on if we need airconditioning at that time in San Ignacio? Finally, is 4 nights enough there? I know there is a ton to do!
- Thoughts on schlepping to Tikal with a senior and kid? It seems like a very long day trip... what about staying there for a night before returning to San Ignacio?
- We are looking at 4 nights on Ambergis Caye - but, i am trying to decide between staying in San Pedro or far from there - in a place like Tranquility Bay. We want to relax but also want things to do with the 8 year old so. Any suggestions for places to stay that are away from the bars / busy-ness - but still close enought to do things?
- Is 3 nights in Antigua not enough time? I want to explore but am also very excited to go to Lake Atitcan! Any suggestions for great family places to stay?
- Looking for suggestions on family-friendly places to stay at Lake Atitcan - like on Ambergis Caye, we want to be able to go to a restaurant or have things nearby - but, don't want to be in the middle of a busy town. I was thinking we would stay in just one place and then take day boat tours to other parts...

Is this itinerary too fast? if we had 2-3 more days, is there anywhere else you would recommend going - or where would you think we should extend?

Thank you in advance for all of your help! It is very appreciated.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 10:18 AM

I think four nights is enough for San Ignacio. We stayed at Chaa Creek which is pricey. They have a jungle camp that's more affordable that seems to get good reviews. We did not have a.c., and it was very hot when we went. I would have liked to have had it, but that probably varies based on time of year. We loved the Barton Creek Cave canoeing - very pretty, and there are a few small artifacts inside. The guide does all the rowing. We did Tikal as a day trip from there with PACZ tours and really enjoyed that too. I think hopefulist stays overnight there, so she can help you with that. It's worth seeing, and we saw monkeys and beautiful wild turkeys there, also aracaris. Love Ambergris Caye, lots of good hotel and restaurant choices. We stayed at Victoria House, but they've raised their rates a lot. Loved doing the snorkeling at Hol Chan - saw huge rays, turtles, nurse sharks, and and pretty colorful tropical fish there. They usually pair it with Shark Ray Alley.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Volcanogirl. Did you go to Tikal with PACZ because Chaa Creek did not offer tours or because PCAZ was more affordable? Thanks again
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 03:59 PM

Sounds like a blast! I usually recommend starting inland and then heading to the beach but I'd mix that up this trip. I'd start at Tranquility Bay for at least 3 or 4 nights - completely unwind, enjoy the beach and snorkeling, then head nearer San Pedro for a night or 2 before flying or taking a water taxi to Belize City. Hire a driver or arrange through your lodging and make a stop and the zoo and maybe the Green Iguana Project on your way. We really enjoy duPlooy's and the Macal Camp near Chaa Creek is a treasure, highly recommended. Bathrooms are shared and separate but it's more glamping than camping; the setting is awesome - we saw iguanas, motmots, aracaris, toucans, and more from our hammocks. Dinner and breakfast are included and you can visit the butterfly place, pool, etc. at Chaa Creek without charge. Whether it's suitable for a 76-year-old depends on the person but I certainly think and hope I'd love it at that age (currently in my 60s).
https://www.chaacreek.com/accommodat...budget-casitas

From there I'd head to Tikal and spend at least 1 night in the park. Maybe hire a guide to meet you at the border and take you to the amazing Yaxhá site on the way. Marlon Díaz is great: Bienvenid@ a Gem Trips - Gem Trips

After Tikal head to Flores and fly to GC, then 3-4 nights in Antigua and at least that on Lake Atitlán. San Pedro is my favorite (looking at the Volcán San Pedro and the lake as I type, gorgeous evening!) and here's a hotel I recommend, right on the lake, kayaks for guest use, close to restaurants but on the opposite end of the main strip from the dock where you'll land (an area I avoid).

I planned almost exactly that trip for friends in October 2016, except we did a week at Tranquility Bay and no nights near San Pedro, then duPlooy's with the stops I mentioned, border/Yaxhá tour with Marlon, a few nights in El Remate instead of the park at Tikal (I prefer the park but one friend needed reliable electricity through the night to recharge a bionic prosthetic leg), the Antigua and San Pedro on Lake Atitlán. There are photo collections from that trip and links to a blog but I can't get them to post. Will try again later.
Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Last edited by hopefulist; Jul 22nd, 2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Links didn't show up in the post
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Amazing advice @hopefulist! Thank you sooo much for all of the good info. Some folks in my family are freaking out a bit about us going to Guatemala - saying it is too dangerous. We have travelled all over (Cambodia, Nicaragua, Indonesia, China, etc...) but I am now a bit worried about going there with my mom and daughter... so, I am now thinking of taking longer in Belize and Ecuador (which was going to be our last wk) or going to Colombia in between (instead of Guatemala). Do you have thoughts on saftey in Guatemala (or Colombia, for that matter)?

I really appreciate all of your thoughts.

Thanks, Alisa
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 05:19 PM

Chaa Creek did offer tours, but it was more affordable for us to go with other providers for some things. Things may have changed since then so wouldn't hurt to check. Hope you have a great time.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 06:07 PM

Hi alisa150,

I haven't been so can't speak to Atitlán but for what it's worth, I felt certainly as safe if not safer in Antigua, Guatemala than Belize--and frankly as safe as I do in most Canadian, USA or European cities. There's a large foreign tourist presence in Antigua. Up to you, but Antigua's great, a lot of fun, would be a pity to miss the former capital with its centuries of history out of fear.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 09:09 PM

Since 2007 I have visited Guatemala at least once/year, usually 2 or 3 times, typically for 3 weeks or more. I have never felt unsafe in any way and have never had a negative experience. In the past sometimes I've led groups of teachers and teenagers, often travel with my husband and/or friends, and frequently - as now - by myself. In my opinion if you travel smart, as you would in any city in the US and avoid the dangerous places in Guatemala City, places no tourist would want to go anyway. If you decide not to go, in my opinion it's your loss.

That said, there are lots of wonderful places in the world - have a great trip, wherever you decide to go.

One more try with the links - here's my Flickr page, you can check out the 2016 collections if you're interested.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Last edited by hopefulist; Jul 22nd, 2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: more link issues
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 07:05 AM

That time of year is generally cool enough in Belize that I personally wouldn't find AC a necessity. Outside of winter I'd definitely want it.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 05:43 AM

Travel advisory update:
The US has lowered the alert level for Guatemala to level 2 - exercise increased caution. This is the same level as Belize, Germany, France, Spain, and Denmark.
https://www.prensalibre.com/Tag/Estados-Unidos/35990
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 06:16 AM

> "Any thoughts on if we need airconditioning at that time in San Ignacio?"

Overnight temperatures are around 20 C -- I don't need a/c, and often I need another blanket on the bed.

> "Thoughts on schlepping to Tikal with a senior and kid?

Tikal is probably the number one Maya site in the region. If you have time for only one site, I'd suggest this one.

> "Any suggestions for places to stay that are away from the bars / busy-ness - but still close enought to do things?"

Somewhere about a mile from town should be OK. Tranquility Bay is a long way away, and you might want to go to town sometimes. If you're close to town, you can walk or cycle.

If you want to go to Tikal, consider going to AC first, then to San Ignacio, then to Tikal. From Tikal, you can bus or fly to GC.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of the incredible advice! Guatemala is back on the itinerary and I am making reservations for San Ignacio and Ambgeris Caye
A few more questions:

Would you recomend 2 nights in Tikal? And, if so, any recommendations for places to stay (moderate) - either in the park or in El Remate?
I would also love recommendations in Antigua or Lake Atitcan -- @hopefulist - I know you mentioned you had a few favourite places.

Thank you again for all of the help!
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 11:24 AM

I recommend shelling out for at least a night in the park at Tikal. Depending on when your flight leaves for GUA, you might not need/want a 2nd night or you might want the 2nd night to be in Flores, esp if you have an early flight.

Here are links to some of my favorite hotels in Guatemala; they’re mostly in the $20-40/double price range and some include breakfast:

Antigua: Hotel Casa Cristina - Antigua Guatemala - Welcome
--
Panajachel: Mario's Rooms: [email protected] +502 7762 1313
--
San Pedro La Laguna (my favorite town on the lake):
Mikaso Hotel, Restaurant, Lake Atitlan, San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala | Mikaso, Hotel Restaurant Lake Atitlan, Guatemala, Mikaso hospedajel y restaurante San Pedro La Laguna lago de atitlan Guatemala / Mikaso restaurante y hostel y hostal Lago de At
http://hotel-sakcari.com/ (price has gone up recently)
--

Tikal: http://www.tikalinn.com/ (harder on the budget but worth it to stay in the park imo)
--
Flores:
midrange options: Hoteles de Peten | Corporacion de hoteles de Peten
good budget choice (at least it was years ago when I last stayed there): Mesa de Mayas Flores - Alfaro Lopez <[email protected]>
--
Guatemala City (3 minutes from the airport)
Hostal Villa Toscana
Dos Lunas Bed & Breakfast | Guatemala City International Airport
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much @hopefulist!

A few more questions for you- I was thinking it would be best to have a driver or shuttle meet us at the Guatemala airport to drive us to Antigua - do you have any recommendations?
Also wondering that for the drive from Antigua to Lake Atitcan - I am sure there are lots of public buses, but I am thinking with my mom and daughter, it would be better to have a shuttle or car.

Do you recommend staying in Panajachel for a night - or just heading straight to San Pedro to have the most out of our few days at the lake?

Finally, whenever we travel with my daughter we make sure to take an opportunity to give back. She has been collecting money from lemonade stands for the last year. So, we would love an opportunity to deliver supplies or make a donation in person to a charity where they could use support. Do you have any ideas?

thank you so much for all of your help - you are an unbelievable wealth of knowledge!
Best,
Alisa
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 04:29 PM

You can either have your hotel arrange transport from the airport or arrange an agency driver. Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:
Adrenalina Tours: Adrenalina Tours ? Tour Operator
Rainbow Travel: RAINBOW TRAVEL

Our favorite private driver, Alfredo Garcia, is bilingual, personable, prompt, and safe, and has nice vehicles: [email protected]

If you can afford private drivers its a great way to go - you get to pick the schedule, ride in comfort, and can make planned and unplanned stops en route for bathroom and food breaks, photos, sightseeing, etc.

Re: Lake Atitlán (it's an L), whether you spend the night in Panajachel or not depends on how many nights you'll have on the lake, what time of day you leave Antigua/arrive in Pana, and your interests. I generally leave Antigua in the morning, sometimes grab lunch in Pana, and cross to San Pedro.

Re: donating, La Cooperativa Spanish School in San Pedro has great social projects. You could donate money to their social fund which supports local marginalized families, their Kamoon home building project, the Beca Project emergency food and medical fund, or donate clothes or school supplies. You might want to consider a return trip to study Spanish there with your daughter and live with a local family - they have a terrific kids program. Cooperative School San Pedro The Beca Project

Happy trails!

Last edited by hopefulist; Jul 28th, 2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo