Search

Skye tours

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skye tours

so I won’t have a car so trying to see which tour option makes the most sense. Car is not an option. I am solo and just too nervous to drive alone

1. Doing a 4 day journey from Edinburgh to skye with Real Scottish Journeys

2.) getting the ferry to skye from tabert on Lewis and doing individual tours with either skye scenic tours or real Scottish journeys...prob staying on skye for 3 days....then heading to Inverness to see some of the highlands like culloden by Bus, etc. trying to figure out Eilean donean as there is no place to store luggage! My first thought was to stop enroute to Inverness.

3. Rabbies tour with outer Hebrides and skye

it seems there are no local companies on Lewis so would either be a private tour with harris365 or getting around on Lewis and Harris via bus. Would also stay 3 or 4 days. or doing the 15 hour tour with skye scenic from skye. That just seems like a very looong day.

Highland experience has one but my suitcase is slightly bigger than their allowed luggage. I’ve tried. I can’t travel carry on only. Bad back. Meaning I’d have to come with an extra bag and store in the train or bus station for 5 days!
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 07:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I highly (HIGHLY) recommend Rabbies.

Not sure what this means . . . >>I’ve tried. I can’t travel carry on only. Bad back.<<

One would think that a bad back would be plenty of incentive to pack light and use a roll aboard instead of a backpack. What am I missing?

>>Meaning I’d have to come with an extra bag and store in the train or bus station for 5 days!<< Which train or bus station? If Waverley - it will cost about £40 give or take depending on your exact drop off/pick up times. Seems to me a roll aboard you can manage makes a lot more sense.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 08:01 PM

I can easily recommend Rabbies as I have done several tours with them. They are an excellent tour company. Personally, I think it’s a hassle trying to take a bus through the Highlands especially with any complications like a bad back. I don‘t understand how you plan to get to Tarbet ? With a tour company? Agree that a 15 hour tour is toooo long. Are you thinking of staying on Skye without a car? Not a good idea IMO, buses on Skye aren’t really good for actual touring and schedules are often sketchy at best. I’m not familiar with Real Scottish Journeys but do know that Rabbies has a very good reputation.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Traveling a month. Will have a 24 inch. Which apparently is too barge for highland experience. Fine for others

Last edited by mmshah; Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Would be a tour with local tour companies. Either skye scenic or real Scottish which are both based in Portree. Not planning on bussing in skye

back isn’t horrible...just means I can’t carry one of those heavy backpacker packs I can carry a basic small backpack no problem

really the difference ends up being one actual day touring skye versus basing there and doing maybe two separate....
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 05:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Traveling a month. Will have a 24 inch.<<

Use a 21 inch rollaboard. Filled it will be a lot lighter than a 24 incher, will be carry on sized, and will meet the tour's requirements. A month does not require a larger bag.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 08:22 AM

Absolutely, from someone who used to travel with a 24” bag and now uses a 22”, you can pack everything you need in a much smaller piece of luggage. If you have back problems now, I will guarantee it will only get worst if trying to manage a 24” bag.