Suggestions where to go this November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a family of 4 with 2 young boys (by the trip; 7 and nearly 5 years old ages. Looking to go somewhere for 4-5 nights around towards end of 1st week of November.

our criteria
-doesn't have to be warm place
-no suggestions for Philly, Playa Del Carmen, Southern Florida or World Disney (as already have those places planned for this year or next year)
-car/plane ride to be max of 3-5 hours long
-if flying, preferably non stop from Newark airport

boys love anything with Legos, fun museums, waterparks, great green parks, fun plays (like Lion, Aladdin, etc), exploring with nature, swimming, and oldest son is really into sharks and the ocean.

Any good starting point would be helpful! I keep thinking of all the obvious cities like NYC, Boston, etc but am sure im also missing out on some gems too!
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 06:51 AM

Ah, sounds like a Teachers Convention trip.... Good aquariums in Mystic and Baltimore
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 08:07 AM

Make it a road trip and start at https://www.osv.org/content/hours-rates then head to Boston which has a Legoland in Somerville, https://boston.legolanddiscoverycenter.com, a great aquarium, science and children's museum. Then head back via 95 stopping at Mystic or Newport.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 01:28 PM

How about San Diego? Legoland is about a 40 minute drive north of there in Carlsbad and there is an excellent small aquarium in La Jolla, the Birch Aquarium run by Scripps Institute. Lots of museums in Balboa Park next to the famous SD Zoo. Most waterparks will be closed that time of year, but there is an indoor waterpark in Orange County called Great Wolf Park.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 05:08 PM

Chicago? The Field fits your son’s interests.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 05:20 PM

Early November....I'd go south of NY. My boys are just slightly older. They loved DC. We also went to Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. The JW Marriott in San Antonio would be a blast. You could do Savannah or Charleston.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 03:04 AM

It's the early November that makes things a little dicey for NH. The Seacoast Science Center at Odiorne Point near Portsmouth is on winter hours Sat-Monday. The wonderful Squam Lake Science Center just before you get to the White Mountains, last day is November 1. But SEE Science Center in Manchester NH would be great for their age (see info about their Leggo reproduction of millyard). Maybe try NH at some other time of the year. If there are two adults, a summer trip could include kayaking near Concord NH to a secluded beach.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 10:33 AM

Washington DC--nothing better. Think REAL theme park, REAL animals, REAL history, REAL art.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Spy Museum, two air and space museums, GREAT ethnic food, almost all FREE of charge.
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 10:58 PM

Ages 7 and 5? I like Jamie's suggestion of San Diego. That is the perfect age for Legoland. I would go for two days with boys that age.

In addition to the zoo, and aquariums Jamie mentioned, the old town in San Diego is really cool, or you could go to one of the Spanish Missions to change it up. There is also Sea World.

If you don't plan to go to California again too, another possibillity is to drive up to Los Angeles for the day and see La Brea Tar Pits (California mammoths, saber tooth cats!) or the dinosaur exhibit at the Natural History Museum--one of the very best in the country with 20 complete dinosaurs assembled.

https://nhm.org/site/explore-exhibits
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Inakauaidavidababy
Make it a road trip and start at https://www.osv.org/content/hours-rates then head to Boston which has a Legoland in Somerville, https://boston.legolanddiscoverycenter.com, a great aquarium, science and children's museum. Then head back via 95 stopping at Mystic or Newport.
boston is a great possibility!

Originally Posted by jamie99
How about San Diego? Legoland is about a 40 minute drive north of there in Carlsbad and there is an excellent small aquarium in La Jolla, the Birch Aquarium run by Scripps Institute. Lots of museums in Balboa Park next to the famous SD Zoo. Most waterparks will be closed that time of year, but there is an indoor waterpark in Orange County called Great Wolf Park.
wow! Wasn’t even thinking of that far out West, but something to consider if pricing works out.

Originally Posted by rizzo0904
Early November....I'd go south of NY. My boys are just slightly older. They loved DC. We also went to Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. The JW Marriott in San Antonio would be a blast. You could do Savannah or Charleston.
I love the idea of Austin or San Antonio. But what to do there?
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Spy Museum, two air and space museums, GREAT ethnic food, almost all FREE of charge.
i was thinking of DC. But wonder if 5 year old may be bit too young?

Originally Posted by 5alive
Ages 7 and 5? I like Jamie's suggestion of San Diego. That is the perfect age for Legoland. I would go for two days with boys that age.

In addition to the zoo, and aquariums Jamie mentioned, the old town in San Diego is really cool, or you could go to one of the Spanish Missions to change it up. There is also Sea World.

a city to keep in mind for sure!

If you don't plan to go to California again too, another possibillity is to drive up to Los Angeles for the day and see La Brea Tar Pits (California mammoths, saber tooth cats!) or the dinosaur exhibit at the Natural History Museum--one of the very best in the country with 20 complete dinosaurs assembled.

https://nhm.org/site/explore-exhibits
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 05:23 PM

Another vote for San Diego area ... Legoland, Wild animal park, zoo, ocean ... with perhaps a diversion up to Long Beach (aquarium) and/or LA (Brea Tar Pits)!
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 10:02 AM

I have been to San Diego in the winter several times with kids and we loved it! The temps were in the 60s or so but it was sunny. Legoland was awesome. Also: the zoo, Scripps Aquarium, tide pooling, History Museum at Balboa Park, the train museum at Balboa Park. You could probably spend days at Balboa Park. We stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn in La Jolla that had a great location for carry out restaurants, grocery stores, and coffee shops.

I have done DC with younger kids as well and we really had fun. You have to be realistic. Either you zoom through the museums because they look at something for a little bit and run along or you spend all day in just the Air and Space Museum. We stayed in a Mariott Res Inn in Alexandria and took the train in every day. Took a little longer but that way we had a pool--yay! And there were grocery stores nearby and Alexandria is a nice town. I think it also helps that so much is indoors so if the weather isn't good, it's not a problem.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Lots of thoughts. We’ve decided on DC mainly because it’s within driving distance and we really want to spend MORE time in San Diego area. With the flying distance, 4 nights doesn’t feel long for us to spend. I’ve been to San Diego but that was years ago as a single person and never forgot how much stuff there was to do there.

Prefer to keep SD for when the boys is on their Christmas or spring break since that’s little over a week of time we can spend out there. I like the fact DC is safer in a way, if weather isn’t so good a lot of things can be found to do indoors.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 06:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Good choice with DC for only 4 days at the end of November. I would not drive into the city. I much prefer coming into the city on some form of rail (Metro or Amtrak) to driving in to the city and looking for free or pay parking.
My last trip into DC in a car was my DD driving me so I could pick up a laptop that I had left on the Empire Builder near Minneapolis. Amtrak packaged it up well and forwarded it to me at Union Station.
I liked parking at Green Belt and taking the Metro into the city. I also remember getting off an Amtrak train in Silver Spring for DD to pick us up.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 01:26 PM

We did DC the first time with kiddos when they were 2 and 4.5. We spent one day at Air and Space Museum and the next day at the Zoo. We stayed at a Residence Inn on Dupont Circle I think, which was ok--easy access to Metro. But no pool and not a large grocery nearby. As long as there are frequent breaks you would be fine. It's not like you can't go back again! I would plan 1-2 stops a day and if you only get to one, ok. Do take out for dinner and stay low key. I think you will have fun!
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Now my tough question; are there hotels with a pool that's within/nearby the Metro? I don't mind Arlington, it doesn't have to be right in middle of action as I know my boys would LOVE riding the metro.

it'll be a low key trip as DC is only 4 hours of driving distance for us, so plenty of more opportunities to return over the years. I'm thinking a hotel with a pool to burn off excess energy, relax before bed, near the Metro and nearby TJ/grocery store and and maybe some restaurants for a night or two to eat out/take out.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 04:42 PM

Based on your requirement of 3-5 hours travel, I'd suggest Boston. Early November is good season for comfortable walking, lots for boys that age, great childrens museum. But San Diego is usually 70+ degrees that time of year (here now in Jan/Feb and its been 65-85 last two weeks). But, it's a 6-hr flight. You can stay downtown along Mission Bay at the Catamaran. Then drive up to Carlsbad to Legoland, stopping at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas on way back. Lots for them to see in downtown. Ferry over to Coronado, zoo, etc. Check fares on Alaska Air, our current fave getting out here (regularly), right now, there's an evening flight to SD and one early morning return to EWR, with r/t price under $300 nonstop, unlike United. With the kids, you need non-stop. Think they're too young for Wash DC museums, but would enjoy some of Smithsonian IMHO.