Search

Need Itinerary Help - 10 Days Crete - Heraklion to Kissamos

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Itinerary Help - 10 Days Crete - Heraklion to Kissamos

Hi Fodorites -

My DH and I are spending 10 full days in Crete and would love your help in planning our itinerary.

We are arriving Heraklion on Sunday afternoon July 9th and departing from Kissamos by Ferry on the morning of Thursday July 19th. From my reading, I have decided to focus on western Crete and need help to decide which cities/towns we should book hotels outside of Heraklion, Rethymno & Chania.

DH loves photography. I love history. We would visit beaches but are not "beach" people so would not spend the whole day (except the day to Balos). I am struggling with where we should sleep each night. Many people seem to make Chania & Rethymno a base and make day trips. We love exploring and would not mind staying in the country for a couple of nights and doing a mix of day trips from the 2 cities and also some single nights in more remote locations. I was thinking of spending the night at Elefonisi but then it seemed that we might need to return to Chania for our last 2 nights? Unless you suggest somewhere near the Kissamos port that would be fun? Also, is it worth trying to visit Phaistos since we are not full-fledged "beach" people? Or should we focus on the west and skip that? Finally, am I trying to do too much or too little on any one day?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Here is what I am planning:

Sunday Jul 8th (half day maybe) -
  • Visit Heraklion
  • Sleep in Heraklion (at harbor)
Monday Jul 9th -
  • visit Knossos
  • Sleep ????
Tuesday Jul 10th -
  • visit the Monastery at Moni Arkadiou
  • Drive into Rethymno
  • Sleep Rethymno
Wednesday Jul 11th
  • Activities??
  • Sleep Rethymno
Thursday Jul 12th
  • Drive to Plakias - base for exploring secluded beaches including Preveli Beach
  • Sleep in Plakias???
Friday Jul 13th
  • Drive to Hora Sfakio - Hop a boat to explore remote villages along this beautiful stretch of coast
    • How do we do this? We once hired a boat off the Amalfi Coast for a lunch excursion and swim at a remote beach/restaurant which was great. Is this the same sort of set up?
  • Sleep in Hora Sfakio ???
Saturday Jul 14th
  • Hike the Imbros Gorge in the morning
  • Drive to Lefka Hori and on to Chania
  • Sleep in Chania
Sunday Jul 15th
  • Visit Chania
  • Sleep in Chania
Monday Jul 16th
  • Drive to & visit in Elefonisi
  • Sleep in Elefonisi
Tuesday Jul 17th
  • Drive to Falasarna and then back to Chania?
  • Sleep in Chania or in Kissomos?
Wednesday Jul 18th
  • Take a one day tour to Balos Lagoon
  • Sleep where?
Thursday Jul 19th
  • Depart Crete on 10 a.m. ferry from Kissamos

Last edited by LCPDFP; Jan 15th, 2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: need to move under Greece as a country
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 08:05 AM
kja

I can’t answer most of your questions, but would say that I thought a visit to Phaistos made a nice contrast to visiting Knossos. Be sure to visit the excellent archeology museum in Heraklion.

If you haven’t already seen it, you might find some helpful information in my trip report:
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece

Crete is a delight – enjoy!
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 01:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Instead of staying in Hora Skafion stayin Frangokastello a few miles east or in Loutro, reached only by ferry.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 08:38 AM

Be careful concerning FB IONIS. Timetables may change more than once until summer.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All ... I will pay close attention to the FB IONIS timetables and take a look at Frangokastello. KJA I loved your trip your report. Thank You.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 02:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
July 13, question about taking a boat. Ferries are available. We left our car in Hora Skafion and took the ferry to stay in beauriful Loutro.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 04:18 PM
kja

I'm glad you enjoyed my trip report! Thanks for letting me know.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 07:48 AM

I suppose you know that Thursday July 19th, there is also a Bluestar ferry Chania dp 10.00 - Piraeus ar 19.00. This boat is bigger and faster than FB Ionis and may be the better choice in the case of rough sea.
https://www.bluestarferries.com/en/a...our-ships.html
F/B IONIS - Greece-ferries
As you will need neither a cabin nor garage space, you may decide just 1 day before the boat leaves.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 04:28 AM

Hi,

If you can squeeze it to your program here are some nice stuff to do:
Gavdos island (located to the south of Chania), The palm tree forest of Vai and Spinaloga Islet (if you manage to get to the Lassithi region as well)

Heraclion must see: The town and the fortress, The archaeological sites of Knossos and Faistos, The Archaeological Museum, Cretaquarium (!!!)

Interesting Cretan cuisine: Fried snails (chochlioi), Cretan cheese pies (kaltsounia) topped with honey, lamb with stamnagathi, Gamopilafo (literally means the rice of weddings), smoked pork (apaki)

Have an awesome time there is never really enough time to see Crete. I'd suggest you stay a bit longer if your budget allows it.

If you are interested in hiking, you should definitely hike the Samaria Gorge National Park.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 08:52 AM

Gavdos: nice Island, but you may be blocked there for days if the sea is too rough for the small boats who link Gavdos with Crete.