Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tentative Spain/France Basque region itinerary

Search

Tentative Spain/France Basque region itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2019, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilbao is close enough to France that bringing the car back to Biarritz and leaving from Biarritz might be more convenient. We did not have a reservation for La Rhune. You might want to take a look at my trip report from last summer when we stayed in the Elizondo area (different set of photos) and then went on to Bilbao.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmophxJ6
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 02:53 PM

We just stayed San Sebastián 4 nights and Bilbao 2nights in September. Just a heads up San Sebastián was very busy Friday and Saturday nights. On the other hand Bilbao was very quiet on Sunday and Monday. The best pintxo bars were closed. So you might want to plan San Sebastián mid week.*

Also the international film film festival is on in September in San Sebastián which makes rooms more expensive during that time. So you might want to check dates.*

We walked*a lot in San Sebastián all around the bay and up the hill. It’s really beautiful. And can be warm.*
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Here was the itinerary I took with my two (80yo) parents, to account for car rentals. We went in May of 2017:

Flew into Bilbao, two nights there (one evening, then one full day). I really liked Bilbao, it wasn't so touristy, and the people were so nice. We took the funicular, which was fun. Picked up rental car, drove to Guernica (very interesting), then on to Lekeitio for the night. The next morning, my mom and I walked out to the disappearing island, then we took a leisurely drive east to Getaria for the night. There, we walked up Isla de San Anton. I wasn't enthralled with Getaria, but then, it was Monday night, and a lot was closed.

Then we drove PAST San Sebastian, into the Basque area of France. We spent two lovely nights in Ainhoa at a most lovely and welcoming B&B, Maison Tartea, that I would very much recommend; we ate at a different Michelin-starred restaurant each night. There are many, many hiking trails in the area (it's very close to the French part of the Camino de Santiago; we saw a lot of walkers. We took the Rhune train, and we didn't need reservations, either. It was quite cold and windy at the top (and hazy, so the view was good, but not spectacular).

Then drove back into Spain and dropped our car at the airport (which is in Hondaribbia). After visiting San Sebastian for two nights (loved, loved the pinxtos and the pinxtos culture), we took a cab (expensive, we should have hired a transfer service, my parents couldn't handle the bus) up to the Biarritz airport, for a flight to Paris.
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 06:36 PM

I agree with Thursdaysb about the parador in Hondarribia. We really enjoyed it!
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 11:36 PM

Funny that Bilbao is continuously spelled as Bilboa, over the years...it´s got to do with the English pronunciation of the name, but for us Bilbao locals it´s quite amusing!

My recommendations:

- Bayonne (or Baiona) over Biarritz, if you look for something else to do than lying on the beach (weather permitting, this is a very rainy area). Don´t miss St Jean de Luz, Espelette and Ainhoa, if possible.
- 3 nights in SS, 2 in Bilbao is just perfect. From SS to Bilbao you can stop in Getaria, Zumaia and its beautiful flysch walk, Orio...all on the wonderful coastal road.
- From Bilbao you have easy access to beautiful Rioja medieval wine region, with Laguardia as the most interesting place. October is harvest season and a great time to visit.
- Hondarribia is just perfect for an overnight stay, either at Hotel Obispo or the Parador. Great scenic hikes on the way towards the lighthouse, along the coast.

From SS, I also like to go inland to visit Loyola, Ońati and the sanctuary of Arantzazu, in an amazing setting.
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Michael, I love your photos! I also take photos of sewer covers. Last time in Italy I ended up with a ton a door photos, so made myself a book just with those. Maybe sewer covers for this trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 09:14 AM

But make sure you look in all directions, including up:

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Funny you say that, I live in NYC. I always tell people to look up when they walk around. Most buildings at street level have pretty uninspiring facades, with store fronts and drab entrances, but when you look up, there's all kinds of architectural details that are amazing especially on so many of the older buildings..

FYI, I've been doing a photo a day on instagram for 6 years and counting. A decent amount is architecture, but there's all kinds of things including vacation photos (most recently Chile and Argentina). Most of the photos are taken during my walk to/from work (2 miles each way). https://www.instagram.com/marjfz/
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 09:27 AM

Nice photos, but where are the manhole covers?
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

don't do NYC manholes...maybe I should/ All are vacation photos, most of which not on instagram.(I take 100s when traveling)

Last edited by MFNYC; Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 11:38 AM

American manhole covers tend to be on the prosaic side. Japan has some of the most decorative ones.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/manhole/
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Here's a tokyo...we're going a bit off topic here
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

started new thread with specifics
Fall Basque Country Itinerary - what do you think?