Padova vs Colle Val d'Elsa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, our plans have progressed since I last posted 9 or 10 months ago about my hopes to bring my family to Italy for one year. I received many responses, which were all helpful--thank you. Well, to spare you the details-- our need for a Steiner/Waldorf school for our son and also for my work, have helped to narrow our focus considerably and now I, again, am asking for input from those who know these areas. The two possible places we might live are the area southwest of Padova near Abano Terme-- though we could potentially live in Padova itself. Or, in Toscana, Colle Val d'Elsa in provincia di Siena. My questions are-- do any of you know these areas intimately? If so, can you share what you can about the place, the people, the food, the climate, the history or anything else that might be helpful in helping us decide where to live for a year.
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 02:55 AM

You should look up the blog Rossi Writes and also for Emiko Davies. If you contacted them personally they would probably be able to put you in touch with expats with children in those areas. Perhaps "Girl in Florence" could do the same.
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 06:29 AM

A whole year in Italy...sounds wonderful.
Both the areas you mention have much to offer. We have spent several weeks in the vicinity of Colle Val d'Elsa, living in the small town of Casole D'Elsa, and we have visited relatives in Padova. Exploring the small hill towns of Tuscany is great fun, and you are right in the thick of things if you are in Colle. However, I don't feel that the modern city has much charm outside the historic district. Since it was the largest city close to the small town of Casole d'Elsa, we ventured in to Colle for some shopping, banking, etc. The newer part of town which was where one could find such services was not inspiring. We were much happier exploring the Castle area and loved dining at Arnolfo in the Old Town. Padova is much bigger, and both the historic areas (of which there are many) and the newer areas of town are very pleasant.
If you are in Tuscany and want to visit small hill towns, you won't be able to rely on public transit for all locations. On the other hand, in Padova you are on a rail line with fast and easy connections to Venice, Verona, Bologna, etc. In my experience the climate in Tuscany is a bit cooler in the summer, but we haven't been in either region at other times of the year.
There are wonderful dining options in each area, although the options in the vicinity of Padova (Emilia-Romagna to the west, arguably Italy's most famed food region, and Venice to the east with all manner of seafood) are probably more varied in a smaller area. It would be hard to top the cultural treasures of Florence, less than an hour from Colle, or Siena (even closer), although Venice, Ravenna, Ferrara, and Padova itself have a stunning variety of art and architecture. Although I think it would be a tough choice if you compare the areas, if you just look at towns themselves, Padova is much more enticing than Colle.
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 06:56 AM

Very different places. Both well located. Padova is a bigger city and with more things to do. Close to Treviso and Venice and VErona so plenty to see.

Colle Val d'elsa is a beautiful little town. More country side and more relaxed. Florence is not far