Should I tour gardens in Wales or The Lake District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be touring London for a week in mid June and am considering adding a week on the end to see another area and visit gardens. I have previously done the Cotswolds and Sussex. I am thinking about either Wales or the Lake District. I would rather not drive in England and have thought about taking a train towards the lake district and then hiring a driver or cab when necessary. Is there a garden lover out there who would recommend one over the other?. Would transportation be easier in one or the other?
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 06:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want gardens - there are several in both regions. Dramatic scenery is about equal.

Most of the gardens are in very rural locations so much easier by car. But if you are OK using taxis or driver/guides either is doable.

You may have to flip a coin
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Janisj. Do you have any particular Gardens to suggest. I have been looking at the garden visit site, but would love some recommendations from people who have seen them.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 06:28 AM

BodnantGarden near conwyWales is my all timer favorite garden.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 06:38 AM

Trains are just as good for either from London- book tickets early at www.nationalrail.co.uk for discounted fares - check www.seat61.com for great advice in booking your own tickets online. For general info on trains also www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

The areas are so close to each other you could easily split a week between them.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 07:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a number of websites to guide you and with so many gardens I suggest you devote some time to a search before making a decision. I find gardens, as in any art form, very personal and one person's favorite can be someone else's miss. Here's one site to search: https://www.greatbritishgardens.co.uk/

Lakes: https://www.greatbritishgardens.co.u...n-cumbria.html

Wales: https://www.greatbritishgardens.co.uk/wales.html

You might search for gardens together with determining proximity to rail stations if expense getting there is a concern. Also look into bus services from those towns as some will be on a route, though service can be sparse.

National Trust properties all have directions to get there on the individual property listings and that could help with the job of narrowing down your search. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/

Maybe I should go with you. Gardens are a primary interest of mine in the UK & I don't mind driving too much. It really is the best way.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice. I've been looking at Gardens in Wales and Bodnant is always recommended. Bodysgallen seems to be close by and looks interesting. I want to see Powys and maybe some others near it. Is anyone familiar with the Dingle Garden or Gregynog? Any other suggestions?
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 04:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Powis castle/garden is another favorite of mine